microwave not replaced

Hi I bought a microwave oven and the seller agreed to replace the faulty item.  On their request I sent videos of faulty oven and then they asked me to return it - I did costing me $30 in postage but the seller now refuses to accept his/her promise.  And it's so hard virtually impossible to contact Ebay.  Ebay did contact me after I posted on this forum but that was in the stage I had accepted the promise of the replacement.  Now trying again to get in contact with Ebay and it appears impossible, can't even get online help and no chance of an email.  Very frustrating.

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

microwave not replaced

eBay do not support replacement.

The seller was stringing you.

Read up on the Money Back Guarantee. Always open a case if the item is not as described - that way the seller has to pay return postage costs upfront (if they are in Australia).

You have probably done your dough.

Message 2 of 22
Latest reply

microwave not replaced

when was this?

what is the item number?

did you lodge an 'item not as described complaint'.....or did you go it alone? Am guessing you listened to seller....if so, BIG MISTAKE....

postage should NEVER be at your cost.....more info required, please

Message 3 of 22
Latest reply

microwave not replaced

You've been a member here for 12 years - I'm surprised you don't know how the site works?

If an item is faulty, broken or otherwise not as described, you have 30 days after receipt to open a dispute. The onus is on the seller to pay for return postage IF they want it back, otherwise they need to refund you. Bad sellers use the promise of replacement or have some other random excuse as a way to delay you opening a case until after 30 days has passed. 

Because you didn't open a case, there is nothing "formal" for Ebay to pursue. Of course they cannot help you when you didn't use the tools that you are given as a buyer.

Start reading buyer basics and stop listening to sellers who are advising against Ebay policies.

The only suggestion I have is to lodge a chargeback with your bank/credit card.

Lastly, Ebay is not the place to be buying electrical goods - go into a store and get a product with a proper Aussie backed warranty. You may have no insurance coverage if your house burns down because you bought some cheap knockoff from a random third party Ebay seller that was not up to Australian standards.

Message 4 of 22
Latest reply

microwave not replaced

At first I thought that even if you had been a member of ebay for a few years, this may have been your first problem so maybe you just got caught out.

But I see from the feedback you have left in the past that you have had a few other negative experiences.

When that sort of thing happens, it pays to actually go onto the site of wherever you bought from and read up about terms & conditions and what you can do if there is a problem.

Many 'real' stores will do an exchange for you but that's different as you are there in person.

If you try to do things behind the scenes on ebay, as you did, then things can go wrong.

I know ebay makes it sound as if you should work it out with the seller privately but quite frankly, you are better to just do it all through official ebay channels.

You may be in trouble now because it may be more than 30 days since you received your microwave. If so, then you're out of luck.

If it is less than 30 days, hop to it and open an ebay claim for item not as described or faulty or whatever the wording is.

I'm not sure how it will go, but if you have the tracking number, get a screenshot of the proof of delivery etc which you can use later if you need to.

If you're out of time for ebay and paid via paypal, try opening a claim that way instead. (But never both at the same time)

I can't guarantee either way will work now but I think they are your best bet.

And as jelly bird said, don't use ebay for electrical type purchases in the future.

Message 5 of 22
Latest reply

microwave not replaced

eBay do not read the forum, so whoever contacted you (quite possibly the dodgy seller under another name) was not anyone from eBay

They most certainly do not read member's post and then make contact with said member

Simply does not happen

Message 6 of 22
Latest reply

microwave not replaced

You've done your dough because you didn't follow the correct channels. Why on earth would you buy a microwave on ebay, probably from a dodgy Chinese seller, when you can get them for under $50 from Big W?

Ebay is no longer the "bargain store" it once was. You get what you pay for. At least if you'd spent $50 at Big W, if it stops working you can take it back. 

I doubt there is anything you can do about it now. You are now without a broken, probably dangerous microwave, and no refund. Plus, stupidly paying for return postage. Learn from it. Just be grateful it didn't burn your house down.

Message 7 of 22
Latest reply

microwave not replaced

The only place to buy electrical whitegoods online, is Appliances Online.

A very reputable company who will deliver the next day and take the old one away.

Message 8 of 22
Latest reply

microwave not replaced

@imastawka wrote:

The only place to buy electrical whitegoods online, is Appliances Online.

A very reputable company who will deliver the next day and take the old one away.

I agree totally. Have bought a few things from them. My first order was a stove and dishwasher. I placed the order at 8.30pm, they were here the next morning at 10am ex-Sydney. I was stunned!

Message 9 of 22
Latest reply

microwave not replaced

When my "naughty" microwave dies for good, I will definitely buy my new microwave from them too.

Message 10 of 22
Latest reply