phone number required??

desi1976
Community Member

hi i won a couple of items from the same seller. went to pay for it tonight and when i clicked on the pay now button, a seperate box came up telling me that i needed to put in my phone number before i could buy from that seller. Of course i didn't put it in, but wanted to know what the go was? i paid for a number of items and never recieved the pop up box. i went back to check if it was written in the listing description and i missed it but it wasn't. Is this allowed to demand personal details such as phone number when it is not a requirement???

Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

phone number required??

Where is the item located?

Often if a seller uses a courier service, DHL or EMS they do require a phone number so the courier can call you if you're not home

You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means
Message 2 of 27
Latest reply

phone number required??

hi i won a couple of items from the same seller. went to pay for it tonight and when i clicked on the pay now button, a seperate box came up telling me that i needed to put in my phone number before i could buy from that seller. Of course i didn't put it in, but wanted to know what the go was? i paid for a number of items and never recieved the pop up box. i went back to check if it was written in the listing description and i missed it but it wasn't. Is this allowed to demand personal details such as phone number when it is not a requirement???

yes, if it is a requirement of the shipping agent the seller will need your number

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 3 of 27
Latest reply

phone number required??

Why would you not provide your phone number? As soon as you make a bid or BIN your trading partener can request your phone number from ebay so if you do not want sellers to have your phone number you shouldn't buy anything.

Sellers who use couriers need your phone number and it is a lot quicker and easier to do it this way. While they could go through Advanced Search to get the number the ebay reply is often glitchy, I have sometimes had to ring ebay when a couple of requests have failed, why would a seller go through that when ebay allow them to request your phone number before you complete the purchase.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 4 of 27
Latest reply

phone number required??

desi1976
Community Member

but if sellers are wanting your number as being a condition of the sale, shouldn't that then be in the description or terms and conditions of the sale then? why is it only as i pay for the item that they want it??. the items were coming from overseas and using post not courier. i don't make a habit of giving my number to anyone, much less a seller in an overseas company. i have an email for them to contact me

Message 5 of 27
Latest reply

phone number required??

desi1976
Community Member

Thanks patchoo78, as we live in the country all things go to our post office and we get notifications that something is waiting for us

Message 6 of 27
Latest reply

phone number required??

I guess you can just tell them you are not willing to give the number, of course they will get it through eBay anyway, (and I think asking you personally was polite of them, rather than just a message from ebay telling yu what had been done). As it is a matter of th push of a button fro them to get you phone number I can't see any point in not giving it freely

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 7 of 27
Latest reply

phone number required??

giving my number to anyone, much less a seller in an overseas company.

I'm sure a seller overseas is not going to waste money prank calling you.. Is the item being sent by EMS? If so, it's all legit, they need your number in case someone isn't home.. They couldn't possibly know where you live so they have to ask

You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means
Message 8 of 27
Latest reply

phone number required??

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

It is not necessarily the seller who needs the phone number...he will not be bothered calling you. But if it is an overseas seller he has to put a phone number on the address label. You need to be contactable by the postal service, couriers or even Customs.

If they cannot contact you easily your parcel may not be delivered.

Almost all the parcels I receive, both from overseas and within Australia, have my number on the address label....it was required when I listed my address details when I joined ebay.

Message 9 of 27
Latest reply

phone number required??

protect*the*innocent
Community Member

desi :  have you messaged the seller to ask?   

I can appreciate that giving out your number is disconcerting but I'm sure there's a very simple explanation and the seller is the best person to provide the information

Message 10 of 27
Latest reply