"CASH ON DELIVERY"

I won an item and the main reason i went for the item is because one of the options of payment was "Cash On Delivery" Now Im From Werstern Australia And the item is in Victoria,

When i went to the checkout i selected Cash On Delivery , The Seller has sent me his bank details and wants a Bank Deposit , I sent a message back saying i selected the "COD" option , The message i got back was i can pick it up in victoria if i want "COD" wich has got me stumped at the moment as i live in a different state and bank deposit is not how i wanted to pay.

My Question is what options do i have as the buyer ?

Message 1 of 25
Latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

"CASH ON DELIVERY"

Way too many put COD thinking they mean cash on pick up.

You can ask the seller to send a request to canel the transaction to release you both from the sale.

Message 2 of 25
Latest reply

"CASH ON DELIVERY"

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Like many sellers, your seller has quoted an Australia Post service (COD) when they really meant Cash on Pickup.

There is not much you can do unfortunately...if the seller will not send it COD you will just have to ask if he will send it at all or cancel the transaction.

Message 3 of 25
Latest reply

"CASH ON DELIVERY"

Just so everyone is clear, this page explains exactly what the different payment methods (including COD) mean. I really didn't know what COD was until reading this:

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/pay/methods.html

"Cash on Delivery (C.O.D)

Australia Post will take delivery of your item at your nearest post office and will forward the seller your payment by money order.

Advantages:

Easy to use

Australia Post offers free insurance for C.O.D items valued up to AU$100 and additional insurance can be purchased for C.O.D items valued between AU$100 and AU$5000."

Actually, I still don't know what this involes. The page could use some clarification for numpty's like me.

Message 4 of 25
Latest reply

"CASH ON DELIVERY"

Well thanks for your help

I have sent the seller an option to go ahead with COD or cancel the transaction if he no longer want to go ahead with the sale.

But i did stress that i wasnt in the wrong as he had COD as a payment option.

I just hope im not hit with negative feedback or a case dispute:-(

Message 5 of 25
Latest reply

"CASH ON DELIVERY"

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

You have been on ebay long enough to know that sellers can not leave negative feedback for buyers.

But why do you want to use COD...it is very expensive, like most AP services.

Message 6 of 25
Latest reply

"CASH ON DELIVERY"

Actually, I still don't know what this involes. The page could use some clarification for numpty's like me.

It's easy. You take the package to the Post Office and fill in some forms. You have 2 choices:

a) AustPost collects the value of the item and the postage from the receiver - this costs $11.75 in addition to the normal postage

b) AustPost collects the value of the postage only from the receiver - this costs $8.35 extra

When the package arrives at the other end, they send a "card" to the buyer to come and collect it at the Post Office. The buyer must pay whatever the agreed fee is before they can get the item.

If you chose a), then the value of the item is posted back to you as a Money Order by Australia Post. If you chose b) then you would have already arranged pre-payment (option b is really only for sending stuff as freebies).

If the buyer doesn't accept the item (ie: refuses to pay) then you must pay $17.85 to get AustPost to return it to you.

The buyer has no "protection" - the seller might have mailed them a brick, but they cannot open and check it until AFTER they have paid for it.

---

The reason that new sellers always incorrectly select COD is because by default there is no "Payment on Collection" option shown on the listing page. In order to have it appear they must click on "more options" in the postage section.

Message 7 of 25
Latest reply

"CASH ON DELIVERY"

Thanks, coopers. What would the main benefit be for COD over other payment methods?

Message 8 of 25
Latest reply

"CASH ON DELIVERY"

I think the only benefit is that an agent/ mediator gets the parcel upon payment.

However as coops said, they could have mailed a brick.

image host
Message 9 of 25
Latest reply

"CASH ON DELIVERY"

So, when the buyer goes to pay for it and collect it from the post office, they don't get any protection is the item isn't as described?

Message 10 of 25
Latest reply