second chance offers ..

A query about second chance offers ...

The auction finishes, a buyer wins.  Does the seller have access to offering a  a second chance immediately?

I had always thought that a seller would only get access to this option when a buyer didn't pay, the time to pay had run out and/or when the seller had opened an unpaid item case which had run its course.  Then, when all the avenues for payment by the original buyer had been exhausted, only then would a second chance offer be available to the seller.

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: second chance offers ..

yes, the 2nd chance offer is available immediately.

many Sellers use this if they have multiples of the exact same item, and offer 2nd and even 3rd chance to other bidders at their highest bid.

of course, if a Seller only has ONE item, the 2nd chance should not be used for a non payer until the Unpaid Item Dispute is closed.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

A seller can make a Second Chance Offer if they have more than one of the same item, as well as if the first sale falls through.

The SCO becomes available on any auction that has more than one bidder.

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

Thanks all ....

Re "of course, if a Seller only has ONE item, the 2nd chance should not be used for a non payer until the Unpaid Item Dispute is closed."

but they do, as has just happened to me.

The important word here is "should", there's nothing to stop a seller doing this.  What a loophole.

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

Thanks all ....

Re "of course, if a Seller only has ONE item, the 2nd chance should not be used for a non payer until the Unpaid Item Dispute is closed."

but they do, as has just happened to me.

The important word here is "should", there's nothing to stop a seller doing this.  What a loophole.

you mean you received a 2nd chance offer? or

did you win and seller sold to another (2nd chancer?)

if you are offered a 2nd chance offfer, you do not have to accept it, if you think something fishy is going on just decline the offer.

if you have missed out on buying because seller sold to someone else, you still have the opportunity to leave appropriate feedback

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

Yes, I won  and seller sold to another (2nd chancer?).  And yes I should have paid earlier etc, but I didn't (apologies etc), and quite rightly the seller started an unpaid item process.  He didn't wait for this process to finish before he sold to a second chancer.

The point is the seller shouldnt even have access to offering a second chance if he is still in the payment process with the original buyer.  As it is the seller does and this makes a mockery of having a payment process at all.

There is nothing to stop sellers (1)  offering a second chance when they don't like the price they have got and/or (2) when they want a quicker payment.

And yes I can leave appropriate feedback but that hardly seems fair when technically the seller has done nothing wrong.

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

The seller can not send a SCO just because they did not like the price they got.  They have to send it to the underbidder at their maximum bid so they will be getting less than the highest bid.

Sellers have access to the SCO feature for every auction where there was more than one bidder so they can offer the item immediately to the underbidder if they have more than one of the item.

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Sorry, but how do you work out that the seller has done nothing wrong.

They have done something wrong...they have sold to the underbidder before closing a dispute.

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

They have done something wrong...they have sold to the underbidder before closing a dispute.

But there is nothing to stop them doing this.  Nor is there any penalty for doing it.  If this is 'wrong' then why do eBay rules allow it and what is the penalty if it is wrong?   As far as I can tell all I can do is report them to Trust and Safety which will result in preciselt nothing.

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

I don't know all the rules, but there was another thread where a seller didn't want to send the item to the winner because the price at the end of the auction was too low, and basically they said it is still their property so they can do this.

So I guess you are right that you can't stop them, but you can still leave negative feedback, and if you do, go back to your feedback to check if the seller has answered (you can still reply if they say something nasty I think).

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply