Accepted Solutions

Re: what is private listing bidders protected

Thanks for your time and advice . Regards

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

The seller has made the listing "private", which is done usually for sensitive items like underwear, or expensive items, so that when people buy, it cannot be seen in the feedback of the seller, what they bought.

it is less relevant now to protect buyer privacy then it used to be, as buyer IDs are altered in feedback, and items bought cannot be viewed through feedback.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 2 of 19
Latest reply

it is something a seller sets up so nobody can see what the item is in feedback.

Supposedly to be used for items of a controversial/personal/valuable nature.

But can be used by any seller for any item.

Message 3 of 19
Latest reply

So if it's made private how do i know if the seller is bidding on their own item, thats for sale, so as to jack up the price  all it states is " private listing -  bidders identies protected'  . I've just experienced this on a item , being a fishing rod that went from a little over a $1 to over $15  without bidders id or a progressive price increase , only'' private listing - bidders id protected''. Sounde sus to me.

Message 4 of 19
Latest reply

If you are suspicious you can look at the bidding history and try to work it out.

click on the bid number on the listing.

then click on show automatic bids to see everything.

but shill bidding is not easy to spot, and not as common as people think.

good luck bidding.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 5 of 19
Latest reply

I've done that and there is not a single bid between the $1  bid and the $15.05 bid, ,I put in a bid for a max of $20.05 and won it for $15.05 without a single other bid showing up on either of the bid historys 

Message 6 of 19
Latest reply

even on a regular listing you won't see the names of the other bidders.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 7 of 19
Latest reply

You need to look at all the bids, including automatic ones.

it also shows the time bids were placed. Bids placed earlier, take precedence.

the jump from 1$ to 15.05$ to me, indicates that another bidder had placed an earlier maximum bid of around 15$.

eBay then automatically bid on their behalf, against you, until they dropped out at 15$. It will have gone up in normal increments, until the 15$. It would have stopped earlier, if their top bid had been less. Whether they were a real or a shill.

it will show any bid...which means that shill bidders (the seller through another ID, or a friend of theirs) will have their bids recorded.

if you have a problem with a particular auction contact eBay and ask them to explain that auction for you, bid by bid 🙂

Message 8 of 19
Latest reply

You are right, but Ebay does state a bummy name, for each bid , wheather hidden or not, in my situation this was not the case

Message 9 of 19
Latest reply

Read the post I just put in above yours 🙂

the bidding will have gone up, bit by bit, until the other bidder maxed out.

the system will not show each 1$, as that would be a very long list, when it is the same bidder.

if there had been multiple bidders, or bids placed one dollar at a time, each bid will show, with a time stamp.

this one looks like automatic bidding.

Message 10 of 19
Latest reply