why is postage so expensive

why are some things so expensive to post are some sellers just profiting from posatge I avoid them and dont like how some charge for postage It is fast becoming a scam

Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: why is postage so expensive

You would need to provide a bit more information than that.

Like - is the postage excessive, or do you just THINK it should be less? Are you aware how much it costs to post items (especially parcels) in Australia?

If you don't like the cost, don't buy. As you have said you do, so what is the problem?

Help save the comma. And the full stop. And the question mark.

Message 2 of 27
Latest reply

I have noticed this too but if the item for sale is something I really want to buy I always send a message to the seller and ask them to explain in detail why they charge that postage price.  Some items really do cost a lot to post.

For example if the item needs a lot of wrapping and packaging to keep it from being damaged or if the item for sale is a unusual shape and needs to be posted in a large size box.   Also depending on the area the item is being sent from and to can have an effect on the total postage cost.  Some sellers are located in country areas, miles away from a post office.  They might have to drive along way to their local post office and add extra $$$ to cover their petrol costs. 

There are real reaons why some postage costs are high.  It is best to send a message to the seller and ask for them to explain so you get the full story.  I hope this helps, good luck 🙂

Message 3 of 27
Latest reply

cost of postage is more than just the price of the stamp Aussie post charge.

wrapping + postal box+ time + travel to post office. on top of that buyer pays by paypal.

paypal takes fees for total of transaction they don't separate postal payment. so all that adds up.

Message 4 of 27
Latest reply

Diecastcarsvicki - , All true, but it does seem that a lot more sellers lately are using post charges to boost thier sales price and avoid paying ebay commisions, paticularly on cheaper items. I also avoid sellers with excessive post charges.

Message 5 of 27
Latest reply

I thought too, that things have to be posted via registered post. It may not be called that,  forget the proper name, but where the parcel or letter is trackable. That boosts the cost.

I know my daughter sent off a concert ticket this way and it didn't take merely a 60 cent stamp, it was nearer $6 postage, just for an envelope with trackable post.

Message 6 of 27
Latest reply

There is no requirement for registered/SOD as long as the seller is happy to self-insure. ALL parcels now have a level of tracking; Click & Send (which is generally cheaper than standard parcel post) has proper Paypal-compliant tracking to the door, rather than the delivery centre.

But, yes, the postage cost on a parcel/letter will not reflect any additional services paid for.

Susan, if you asked me to justify my postage costs in detail, there is a very good chance you wouldn't have to worry about what they are.

Message 7 of 27
Latest reply

I have just stupidly bought a dress from a buy now listing.
It was 4.30 this morning & didn't have my glasses & pretty sleep deprived.
When I went to pay I saw the postage was $18.25 on an item that is clearly an $8.25 postage cost.
I have emailed the seller since to ask if she has made a mistake in her listing, then went on to look at her other listings & they are all priced the same. Clearly an absolute rip off.
My stupid.
Message 8 of 27
Latest reply

I take it back - said its a mistake.
Message 9 of 27
Latest reply

boggo58
Community Member

@flatoutharry wrote:

why are some things so expensive to post are some sellers just profiting from posatge I avoid them and dont like how some charge for postage It is fast becoming a scam

Because we live in the land of milk and honey

why do you think sellers in china can sell you a usb cable for $1including post. Unbelievable!

Message 10 of 27
Latest reply