why use click and collect if still have to pay postage

I thought click and collect was free from postage costs, that's why a seller would use it.  I've just tried to buy an item using click and collect because I thought I would save on postage, but it has come up with the same price as the postage cost.  Why use it if I'm paying postage cost, may as well be sent to my home.

Message 1 of 42
Latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

This is exactly why I was confused. I remember seeing Click and Collect associated with free postage. I did not know that had changed.
Message 11 of 42
Latest reply

So you didn't actually read the listing, just saw what you wanted to see, even when it wasn't there?

Message 12 of 42
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

So you didn't actually read the listing, just saw what you wanted to see, even when it wasn't there?

Even when you see the postage cost listed, it can still be confusing in some respects because with click & collect also listed, some people could easily assume the postage was applicable if they had an item posted to their home, the click & collect was pick up & no cost.

I know better now but it confused me at first. It's totally at odds with how other websites run their sales.

Just saying- a person new to ebay could read it all and still be a bit uncertain.

Message 13 of 42
Latest reply

693 fb

Message 14 of 42
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

693 fb

Sure, but what really counts is how often they have tried to buy with click & collect or with click & collect after changes were made. There's a first time for everything I guess.

Message 15 of 42
Latest reply

Well, it doesn't take a genius to see that postage costs $15.95 or postage costs $0.00. Why would someone think they didn't have to pay the postage if it was staring them in the face saying $15.95? $15.95 is $15.95, not free. It doesn't matter if you have 0 feedback or 10,000, you are still able to read whether there is a postage cost or not. If you feel the postage cost is too high, don't buy it. 

Message 16 of 42
Latest reply

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

Well, it doesn't take a genius to see that postage costs $15.95 or postage costs $0.00. Why would someone think they didn't have to pay the postage if it was staring them in the face saying $15.95? $15.95 is $15.95, not free. It doesn't matter if you have 0 feedback or 10,000, you are still able to read whether there is a postage cost or not. If you feel the postage cost is too high, don't buy it. 

You're missing the original point. I am sure the person asking the question could see the postage cost listed, but they had assumed that click & collect was like pick up and was an alternative to postage.

In fact if you look at Coles-they have huge signs up-click & collect car spaces etc. There is no charge for delivery. You drive in, ring them to say you are there and they bring down the order. That's called click & collect too

Click & collect in most stores is exactly like that. You nominate a store & pick up your item for free. Otherwise you can pay to have it posted to your home. But on most sites, they are not one & the same thing.

I fully understand that they are the same on ebay as sellers pay to deliver them to the store. But as I said, anyone coming across the system for the first time with a purchase could be forgiven for being confused.

Message 17 of 42
Latest reply

The page says postage OR click and collect it is very misleading.

Message 18 of 42
Latest reply

Ebay should use a different terminology to that of busineses who are simply advertising preoders ready for your pick in store

In reality if a buyer selects buy now and takes the pick up option if offered by sellers (from the seller not woolies) then that is actually the same as the click and collect as advertised by B & M stores. Whereas the C &C being pushed by Ebay is a redirected collection service. Not the same thing at all

I can see the confusion increasing as more and more stores are opting now for their own click and collect options. its just a conflict of using the same terminology for a completely different services

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 19 of 42
Latest reply

@lindyb5247 wrote:

The page says postage OR click and collect it is very misleading.

But it doesn't say FREE Click and Collect does it?

How is the seller getting it to your pick up point?  

Postage, even for C & C, will be in the checkout

Message 20 of 42
Latest reply