why use click and collect if still have to pay postage

I thought click and collect was free from postage costs, that's why a seller would use it.  I've just tried to buy an item using click and collect because I thought I would save on postage, but it has come up with the same price as the postage cost.  Why use it if I'm paying postage cost, may as well be sent to my home.

Message 1 of 42
Latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

Don't feel alone. It got me too. I think the first few times I saw it, it was on items with 'FREE CLICK & COLLECT' I know I opted out of it for my own selling. Trying to find best deal on a generic item & thought 'beauty, free click & collect' but when I looked further into it, nope, was the same as postage.

I think it did start out as a free thing but then they changed it.

Message 21 of 42
Latest reply

It also doesn't say 'Click and Collect {insert postage price} ... It is misleading, as Postage is listed with a price, and click and collect is listed with no price attached... Easy mistake

Message 22 of 42
Latest reply

I think you need to learn how to buy.  It's not at all misleading.

The postage is listed - whether you have it posted to you......

or posted to Woolworths/ Big W or wherever the heck they go.

Like I said in the post you answered to....how is the seller getting your item to the C & C point?

Why on earth would you have the postage listed twice?

Cost of postage will be in the checkout.

Message 23 of 42
Latest reply

As springyzone said: Click & collect in most stores is exactly like that. You nominate a store & pick up your item for free. Otherwise you can pay to have it posted to your home. But on most sites, they are not one & the same thing.

If I buy something online from, for example, Rivers, and use Click & Collect, I go to the store I nominate when making the online purchase to pick up my purchase - no postage is charged. This is a true Click & Collect. (BUT I could nominate to have it posted to me, in which case I would pay extra for postage). In contrast, a shop like Suzanne Grae, which has an online store from which you can make purchases, does not offer Click & Collect - you have to pay extra for the postage to have the items sent to your home.

What ebay are calling Click and Collect is a totally different concept, and needs a different terminology to avoid confusion like the original poster.

Message 24 of 42
Latest reply

I too thought it was some service provided by ebay as a alternative to postage & handling, where ebay picked the item up through their own couriers who then sent it to the chosen pick up point, to encourage more buys.

I bought an antique for AU$110 because I thought I was avoiding the $25 charge for postage 'n handling & was quite peeved when I was still hit with the extra $25 charge, because quite frankly I was not going to bid for the price I did otherwise. My bid limit would've been about $20 less.
Message 25 of 42
Latest reply

I agree, calling it click & collect is just asking for trouble & confusion as that isn't how most businesses operate the system.

Collecting usually saves you on the postage charge.

Ebay needs to give it a different name or else make it clearer up front.

Message 26 of 42
Latest reply

While this is an old thread, I’ll explain why I LOVE click & collect.

(1) YOUR ITEMS ACTUALLY ARRIVE 

(2) I get constant updates as to where my item is, During the transportation process. 

(3) I get an email to say it’s arrived at my chosen click & collect store-of-choice. 

(4) my item is not sitting on my front verandah anytime from 0800hrs - 1800hrs until I get home from work! 

(5) the store is open much later than the P.O so collecting is easier (for me, anyway)

its never been free...... it’s still posted!  Why would anyone think this service is free? 

😎😎😎

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 27 of 42
Latest reply

@janeababe

its never been free...... it’s still posted!  Why would anyone think this service is free? 

😎😎😎

Because the term click & collect usually means free to pick up in store with most retailers (not all).

You know & I know that the seller on ebay is paying for it to be transported to the pick up point but I would guess a lot of casual buyers just see the term and assume maybe the business has some connection or arrangement with the retailer. After all, most of the sellers these days are business type concerns.

The fact is says postage charge is such & such or click & collect sort of implies a difference, it is confusing.

Ebay needs to make it clearer.

Message 28 of 42
Latest reply

what  a **bleep** you are

Message 29 of 42
Latest reply

Gee, thanks for that.

I gave an informative reply.

How informative was your reply?

Message 30 of 42