How to sell these please?

go-tazz
Community Member

Best ideas on how to sell some collectables? please,(not confident in packing it correctly).

Sell as individual or some together and do pick up?

IMG_3141.JPG

IMG_3140.JPG

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

imastawka
Honored Contributor

OMG Tazz.  A veritable treasure chest of goodies.

Carlton Ware, Foley, maybe some Shelley, James Kent?

That purple Carnival Glass bowl is worth at least $90 on it's own

Have you researched prices?

Message 2 of 21
Latest reply

OK settle - take a deep breath. The Carlton Ware Foxglove pattern can be easily researched on eBay (SOLD prices) - the toast rack I would think is most saleable and should be listed on its own. You appear to have some James Kent Chintz pieces - but CONDITION is the most important thing here. There appear to be 2 (may be 3) Oz  souvenir trios in the second pic  - again condition is paramount. I would defer to anyone who could value carnival glass. I would suggest you hive off into some separate postage lots - anything under 1 kg is quite doable. I would be interested in the pattern / maker for the Thistle pattern in right hand side of pic 2 and the coffee? cup set far left pic 2. Sorry if this is a bit haphazard  - it is midnight Easter Monday. (And my team lost yesterday). 

Message 3 of 21
Latest reply

Thanks,give_rose.gif

No,I've only just bought the stuff to our place from the BIL's where it was stored since my MIL passed as it

was hers and I've been asked to sell it,(but feel out of my depth here as they are breakables),blush-1.gif

I forgot to take down the names and will probably have to unpack most of it to categories it,(I'll try and put the

names in order so they can be matched to the photos).

There is more stuff to come and a lifetime collection of Elvis memorabilia as well,shok.gif

There is also a coin collection to sell,(including bank notes).

Message 4 of 21
Latest reply

We have some more sorting to do today and I have golf in the afternoon so I'll probably check things out on

Wednesday and start putting names to stuff to give a better idea of what everything is.

Thanks for any help as it's appreciated,(at least I'm more comfortable selling the CD's and the books when I get

around to them)good.gif

Message 5 of 21
Latest reply

Todays sorting,(two lots of the glasses are etched but I wouldn't think glasses have much value as everyone

seems to always try and get rid of them).

The big tureen is Japan,(one sold for $20) and the plate is England and there are more Willow pattern in a

cupboard but we have no idea as to what may have value,(we think there is a spoon that goes with the tureen).

Sorry about the second picture,(I may have had it on macro),blush-1.gif

IMG_3145.JPG

IMG_3144.JPG

We sorted a lot of "generic" items today that had a "bit" of it go to Op shops.

Still all her linnen and various other items to sort,(including those dolls that are in boxes and suitcases).

Message 6 of 21
Latest reply

When you are sorting again, please do make sure to look carefully at condition. With collectable glass and china, chips and cracks will greatly devalue an item and make it very difficult to sell (unless it is very desirable / rare). Clear (as in NOT darkened)  light overall crazing can be accepted and even expected in your vintage ceramics like Carlton Ware and Chintz. Buyers on eBay can be VERY fussy about vintage collectables - I always think it is better to over-emphasise any blemishes, rather than to have an unhappy purchaser who wants to return an item / receive a refund.

Message 7 of 21
Latest reply

No from the photo I wouldn't think those glasses had any value - I would donate them - or if you intend to maybe take a large number of things to a bricks and mortar auction house some time they could make up a "boxed lot" with some other items.

That Japan tureen stand that sold (and perhaps spoon in your case) - no idea how they would send that for $12 postage Australia wide - looks heavier and bulkier than that to me. I assume they would be taking a loss on postage. It would be a real pain to pack and post and I wouldn't be doing that for $20 (but that's just me). Smiley Wink

There is a LOT of Willow pattern for sale - Made in England does better than Japan and named brands - Churchill, Meakin, Johnson Bros - will probably do better than generic Made in England. I assume we would be looking at vintage here rather than antique - if you had sets - like cups and saucers, sets of plates - they could sell OK but again, postage is going to be expensive and again, it would be a pain to pack.

Message 8 of 21
Latest reply

Unfortunately some items did have damage and that stuff has been put together to try and keep it separate

from the stuff that looks fine,(I'll look a bit more carefully when sorting to keep them that way),good.gif

When I do books or DVD's I tend to list them as the lesser conditions to avoid unhappy buyers and I plan to

keep doing the same with everything I sell.

Message 9 of 21
Latest reply

I wont be posting the tureen or the bigger plate so they will be done differently,(maybe make up a bigger lot

for pick up only).

There are some with cups and saucers,(just haven't come across them yet when un packing).

I suspected that with the glasses and I might make up a bulk lot or give them away.

Message 10 of 21
Latest reply