How to sell these please?

go-tazz
Community Member

Best ideas on how to sell some collectables? please,(not confident in packing it correctly).

Sell as individual or some together and do pick up?

IMG_3141.JPG

IMG_3140.JPG

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Shame you live in the back of beyond  (yes I know where you live.  hehe)

Hubby saw the willow (I collect it) and asked if I wanted a road trip.

It's only a 3 hr drive.

Message 11 of 21
Latest reply

@imastawkawrote:

Shame you live in the back of beyond  (yes I know where you live.  hehe)

Hubby saw the willow (I collect it) and asked if I wanted a road trip.

It's only a 3 hr drive.

So just a hop,skip and jump away,give_rose.gif

Did linen today and nothing else so not much achieved.

OH is going to Melb tomorrow but she's a bit like her mum and there is no cleared area to put stuff,(so can't sort anything here yet),tease.gif

I'll put up a photo when we get all the Willow together,(I think there should be more somewhere).

Found another big Willow plate today but it has a big crack that looks like it's been repaired.

Probably wont get much done now till Sunday,Who knows.gif

Message 12 of 21
Latest reply

@siddieswans wrote:

You appear to have some James Kent Chintz pieces - but CONDITION is the most important thing here.

Finally got what that meant when looked at Royal Winton,blush-1.gif

There appear to be 2 (may be 3) Oz  souvenir trios in the second pic  - again condition is paramount.

One cup has gone missing,stubborn_smiley_by_mirz123-d4bt0te_zps12f1a5a3.gif

I would be interested in the pattern / maker for the Thistle pattern in right hand side of pic 2 and the coffee? cup set far left pic 2.

Sory it took so long to get back to it but there were a few "hassles" concerning some items.

OH went to Melbourne so I had time and a clear table to put stuff on.

New photos and "catalogued" the better

stuff.

The items are Royal Winton "Chintz" ,Carlton Ware,Crafton,(flinders st station),Royal Vale,Colclough,

(thistle),Commonwealth Games 1982 trio,Salisbury coffee cups,Royal Safford,(golden wedding),Shelley

dish,(corners chipped),Prince William Hielan toast,(states 22 ct gold),Sadler sugar caddy?,Shorter jug and

bowl,Wade Johnnie Walker jug,3 handled cup,(Newport Mon?),Royal Doulton dog,Lladro goose,Venetian glass,(

Murano?),5 Beswick dogs,(the terrier has corner damage),small Toby jug,Stanly salt?,3 small Limoges plates.

IMG_3285.JPG

IMG_3286.JPG

IMG_3287.JPG

IMG_3289.JPG

IMG_3292.JPGIMG_3293.JPG

Message 13 of 21
Latest reply

Hello again

I'll have a go at helping but these are strictly my ideas - others may totally disagree.

Discard anything damaged - IMO you don't have anything of sufficient value to be able to sell a damaged piece.

First, what will sell most easily are the Royal Winton chintz, especially the comport. If the pattern name is not printed underneath, check through googling or looking at eBay listings to find out the pattern name.

Same with the Carlton Ware - toast rack to me looks like Foxglove, some of the dishes may be Primula. You seem to have a salt and pepper set, the mustard pot? (looks like) is a different colour, maybe a different pattern. The small bits will sell most easily. The plates are common enough but do have a value - but be very realistic. There are over 900 pieces of Carlton Ware for sale on Oz eBay. People have VERY strange ideas of what the pieces are worth - believe me, if by some chance you are listing something rare, (colour / pattern combination for example) it will be noticed. I just sold a very nice large Carlton Ware bowl for $41 at auction (and was pleased to see it go) - someone else has exact same bowl for sale for $135.

Johnny Walker water jug should be saleable at $25? The Oz trios - Grafton Flinders St Station $25? Commonwealth Games  $19?

2 Colclough thistle cup & saucers - $19? The Salisbury coffee cup set (I am assuming 6 cups and saucers) looks very pretty but these things are REALLY out of fashion - I think $35 would be a lucky sale.

The dog figurines are a different kettle of fish. Small and collectable and good makers. Again google to find model name - one Beswick may be a Foxhound? Is the collie RD? Many models came in different sizes, don't be caught out here. Lladro goose should have a model number.

The 3 little Limoges plates I would sell together - $25? (or less). The 3 handled jug is called a tyg - I am guessing it is a crested  souvenir of Newport in Monmouthshire - little value I would think . I am guessing the pink creamer and sugar bowl are the Shorter - again you could google to find the pattern - $30?

I would be guessing the Sadler is a biscuit barrel - they do sell well - research the pattern. The problem will be cost of postage.

Royal Stafford Golden Wedding C & S, Heilan Toast Tankard I wouldn't be worrying about.

Murano swan - well, maybe, but that doesn't worry a lot of people. Unless it has a Murano sticker, or is an exceptionally attractive colour (hard to tell) I would think 19-25 would be lucky.

What's the pink thing in the 2nd and 4th photo that looks like Stan Laurel?

Pity you live so far "back of beyond" (apparently) - this is ideal garage sale ammunition. To my mind, you've got a lot of things that are worth a bit each, but they will be a pain to pack and post. I would not be sending them to a real life auction - they would probably go in 3 or 4 "boxed lots" and not achieve very much.

If it were me, and a garage sale is out of the question, I would trying on eBay, at auction first off, the figurines, Royal Winton, Carlton Ware, Johnny Walker, Oz souvenir trios, Sadler, maybe the Shorter set. (Perhaps add anything else that could go for 500g parcel when boxed up). The rest could go to charity.

That might help a bit. Anything else I have missed?

Message 14 of 21
Latest reply

I think that's a fair assessment.  You've got good eyes, Siddie. 

I had to enlarge and it was all blurry.

I think the pink thing is Stan - a salt shaker.  Wonder what happened to Ollie?

Tazz, I don't think you're really out the back of beyond.  A country area maybe, but....

I'm quite sure if you do your research, you could have a garage sale.

There will be local second hand/antique dealers wanting to get their hands on that stuff.

It would be a great one to have, and to get rid of it all at once would be brilliant.

But don't drop the price by much on the day.

Message 15 of 21
Latest reply

Thanks,as always,informative and knowledgeable,good.gif

Will take it all onboard and try a couple of smaller things first that I can post in a B1 box.

To answer a few of your suggestions,blush-1.gif

@siddieswans wrote:

Hello again

I'll have a go at helping but these are strictly my ideas - others may totally disagree.

Discard anything damaged - IMO you don't have anything of sufficient value to be able to sell a damaged piece.

I've put some separate already and may list them as a lot on FB.

Same with the Carlton Ware - toast rack to me looks like Foxglove, some of the dishes may be Primula. You seem to have a salt and pepper set, the mustard pot? (looks like) is a different colour, maybe a different pattern.

That set is incomplete,(it;s supposed to have a mustard pot and a dish it all sits on so may go as "extras" or with the damaged stuff).).

The dog figurines are a different kettle of fish. Small and collectable and good makers. Again google to find model name - one Beswick may be a Foxhound?

Is the collie RD?

It has nothing on it.

Many models came in different sizes, don't be caught out here. Lladro goose should have a model number.

Will double check,(it's all packed away again for safety).

The 3 handled jug is called a tyg - I am guessing it is a crested  souvenir of Newport in Monmouthshire - little value I would think. In with the bundle it will go.

I am guessing the pink creamer and sugar bowl are the Shorter - again you could google to find the pattern - $30?

Yes,it's clearly visible on one piece and harder to read on the other.

I would be guessing the Sadler is a biscuit barrel - they do sell well - research the pattern. The problem will be cost of postage.

It is a bit large for a sugar caddy,there is no way that I'm posting that,(it will go on FB maybe).

What's the pink thing in the 2nd and 4th photo that looks like Stan Laurel?

Don't know what happened to Oliver.

Pity you live so far "back of beyond" (apparently) - this is ideal garage sale ammunition.

Population is over 7000 and if you include the town just across the bridge it's nearly 10,000.

I would not be sending them to a real life auction - they would probably go in 3 or 4 "boxed lots" and not achieve very much.Definetly not doing that.

If it were me, and a garage sale is out of the question, I would trying on eBay, at auction first off, the figurines, Royal Winton, Carlton Ware, Johnny Walker, Oz souvenir trios, Sadler, maybe the Shorter set. (Perhaps add anything else that could go for 500g parcel when boxed up).

Thanks for your help and it's greatly appreciated,good.gif

It's always great to see how much you are willing to help others and impart your knowledge into those post.

Now to "bite" the bullet and hopefully list something by Sunday,Zen.gif

Message 16 of 21
Latest reply

@imastawka wrote:

I think that's a fair assessment.  You've got good eyes, Siddie. 

I had to enlarge and it was all blurry.

Sorry,(I used mid sized pics as large is sometimes to large for phone users,blush-1.gif

I think the pink thing is Stan - a salt shaker.  Wonder what happened to Ollie?

Tazz, I don't think you're really out the back of beyond.  A country area maybe, but....

I'm quite sure if you do your research, you could have a garage sale.

There will be local second hand/antique dealers wanting to get their hands on that stuff.

I'll have to check but haven't seen any in this town,(but I haven't been looking either).

It would be a great one to have, and to get rid of it all at once would be brilliant.

But don't drop the price by much on the day.

We have a couple of for local sale sites here and may be able to list the lower price items there to see if

there is any interest there,(if not I can always state it as a garage sale but sell through there for some items).

Thanks,very much appreciated,give_rose.gif

Message 17 of 21
Latest reply

Hmm, garage sales. We bought here in the NSW Southern Highlands in 1999 - back then, garage sales were a way of life. Our local (free) paper had AT LEAST 20 garage sales advertised every week - we used to joke about hiring a mini-bus to do the rounds. We had several very successful garage sales down here - dealers from as far as Newcastle and Nowra. Then around 2010, garage sales lost favour - eBay was the go. Sellers did not  have to set a maximum price, and they could suddenly attract buyers from all over the globe, not just their local area. Now our local free paper would average ONE (that's right one) garage sale per week. But I don't think that the appetite for buying at garage sales has disappeared. What HAS disappeared is genuine VINTAGE (and it does not have to be antique, just something more than 20-30 years old) stock. So I would encourage those who have sufficient vintage ammunition, as you have, to try a garage sale first. Costs - whatever advertising costs you - social media may be free. And spending a day at home trying to sell. Disadvantages - of course, weather - if you need rain free area (when does it rain in Oz any more?) and not wanting to have people call at your home.  Advantages? No eBay  or PayPal fees, not having to pack and post, and not having to worry about eBay / PayPal returns / cases opened. And what doesn't sell, can always be tried on eBay later. Just IMO. (By eBay of course I mean whatever on-line selling site you may currently favour). 

Message 18 of 21
Latest reply

@siddieswans wrote:

But I don't think that the appetite for buying at garage sales has disappeared. What HAS disappeared is genuine VINTAGE (and it does not have to be antique, just something more than 20-30 years old) stock. So I would encourage those who have sufficient vintage ammunition, as you have, to try a garage sale first. Costs - whatever advertising costs you - social media may be free. And spending a day at home trying to sell. Disadvantages - of course, weather - if you need rain free area (when does it rain in Oz any more?) and not wanting to have people call at your home.  Advantages? No eBay  or PayPal fees, not having to pack and post, and not having to worry about eBay / PayPal returns / cases opened. And what doesn't sell, can always be tried on eBay later. Just IMO. (By eBay of course I mean whatever on-line selling site you may currently favour). 

As you and Stawks say a garage sale may be the first option but we are in a caravan park which wont allow

a "genuine" type one,(they are re-developing the park and want to attract the "right" people and don't want

anything messing up the place).

So an online one with posts on FB may be an option and everything would be under cover so weather wont

play a part,(our area also boasts more sunny days than Queensland so the weather here in the north of Vic

is generally pretty good).

I'll run it past my OH when she gets home and I like the idea of not having to pack anything,good.gif

Message 19 of 21
Latest reply

Tazz, would it be possible to have a garage sale at a friend's place or relative's place in town? Just a thought.

Good luck with what you do, some of that stuff is beautiful and very interesting.

Cheers,

Di

Message 20 of 21
Latest reply