Is there a way to remove sticky tape from stamp sheet.

Hi there,

I received this stamp sheet on the front of my package the other day and it's completely covered in sticky tape. I am so disappointed. It's not the first time that I've received packages with high value stamps and they have sticky tape stuck over them. 

I know it's becoming a common practise with Australia Post, but is so upsetting for collectors.

Just wondering if anyone knows of a way successful way of removing the sticky tape. It would be such a shame to have to throw them out.

Kindest regards,

Debra.

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

queenslander-one
Community Member

I have heard Eucalyptus oil can sometimes work depends on the Sticky tape I believe.  

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

There is a product called Un-du which I have mentioned here before. It is available at Bunnings; it is very expensive for the small bottle you get and it evaporates in the blink of an eye if you leave the lid off. It is designed really for scrap-booking, so you can remove stickers and reuse them. I find it invaluable for removing the sort of labels that auctioneers like to stick all over everything, old price labels from books etc. For any paper-based sticky label, a few drops will penetrate down and undo the label, if there is any sticky residue left a few more drops on a tissue will remove it. I have used it on all sorts of surfaces - paper, leather, wood - and it does not leave marks, as ordinary "sticky stuff" removers tend to do, because they are oil based. I don't think it would penetrate the surface of the tape, you would have to lift a corner and squeeze it underneath, and then work along. I don't know what the stamps are worth but I don't know if it would be cost effective - did I mention it was very expensive? For anyone who may want to try it on regular labels, I would recommend NOT using the "tool" that comes with it as recommended in the instructions - in my experience it is impossible to squeeze just a few drops onto the tool and before you know it, your bottle is half empty. I squeeze out a few drops, spread it around with my finger to cover the label, leave it for just a few secs to penetrate fully, then if it requires more, add a few more drops. Much more cost effective this way. I see that Bunnings now sell a 118ml bottle, which would be much cheaper than the old 30ml one - must try and find it. Hard enough to find as it is. It IS available on Oz eBay but at greatly inflated prices.

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

Generally, no, unfortunately the stamps can't be saved. Sellers use it, mainly on older stamps, for a few reasons:

1. some older stamps (especially self-adhesive ones) lose their stickiness even though they're mint & valid to use for postage.

2. they re-use unfranked stamps to save on postage (which is not legal for postage).

3. they just don't think & the sticky tape they use to attach the label extends over the stamps unintentionally.

We completely understand your frustration as we've also encountered this quite a few times.
Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

Not that I know of but the plus side is they are already laminated for you. Just kidding.

If it was just a small part caught under the tape maybe could be done but this looks like someone has used wide clear packing tape and completely covered the whole sheet.

BTW, I noticed you sell uncancelled stamps.

AP for a long time has been using a special ink to cancel stamps that can only be seen under a black light, so many sellers are actually selling cancelled stamps not being aware. Just thought I'd let you know in case you are unaware.

image host
Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

LOL yes I think they have used a huge packing tape over it. Such a shame. I think I'll be hagning it on the wall!

No i wasn't aware of that thanks for letting me know, it's amazing as I have received a few packages with stamps you can cleaerly see have been reused. 

Thanks again for your help.

Kindest regards,

Debra.

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

I hope if those were ebay purchases that your seller gave free postage (not that that makes it right)

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

I kept losing untracked international letters. 

The PO actually advised me to put sticky tape on the stamps, as international collectors

wouldn't touch them then.

Amazingly, it worked.

Sorry for the collectors, but my deliveries were more important.

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

No unfortunately they have to make a profit too LOL!

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

Can totally understand. I didn't realise that it was worldwide. There must be a better way to stop it but obviously not at this stage.  

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply