Need help with bangle

pnc75
Community Member

Hi all, once again I need your help with this bangle. It's a vintage estate piece and the lady would be in her late 70's or 80's. She had a fondness for expensive accessories etc but I have no idea what the value of this is. I've tried googling to no avail. 

I have no information about it and I haven't tried to clean it up as I don't want to damage it. The white inserts are (I'm fairly sure) mother of pearl.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated, and thank you in advance for your time. IMG_3610.jpegIMG_3609.jpegIMG_3608.jpeg

Message 1 of 52
Latest reply
51 REPLIES 51

Re: Need help with bangle

Here is the silver one. It hasn't been cleaned either. It has a plain back with no design. It is curved on the outside and I think it's hollow inside. It's about 1.5 cm wide.

IMG_3846.jpegIMG_3851.jpeg

Message 41 of 52
Latest reply

Any hallmarks ?

image host
Message 42 of 52
Latest reply

Very pretty.

I would probably list the mother-of-pearl bracelet as an auction with starting bid of $29. I might have brought it to a friendly jeweller for a 30-second look.

Message 43 of 52
Latest reply

No sorry. I meant to say that and forgot. So I don't expect it would be worth much. I haven't had time to start researching it yet, Just posted the photos as people were asking. 🙂

Here are some of her other things. 

Message 44 of 52
Latest reply

pnc75
Community Member

pnc75
Community Member

Sorry, dom, I realise now you already linked that one.  

Message 46 of 52
Latest reply

Oh that's a shame. I was imagining I could see a mark and some writing on the right hand inside half of the bangle in the 2nd pic, but it must just be my eyes.

Message 47 of 52
Latest reply

Actually, siddie, you are right. there is a hallmark. It says 'Sterling' and has a B in a hexagon. Research suggests that its for Burkhardt/the Canadian retailer Birks. Birks is still around and sells mostly upscale merchandise. 

Apologies for missing it before. You must have good eyesight siddie! Obviously much better than mine, but then again that wouldn't be hard! 😁

I took some photos then zoomed in on my phone:

IMG_4023.PNGIMG_4022.jpg

Message 48 of 52
Latest reply

OK so as you would imagine this does make a difference! The next thing is to weigh the bangle in grams - from other listings I can see that there can be a considerable difference in the weights of various bangles, which obviously makes a difference to the value.  It looks to me as though it is half engraved, and with what seems to be the typical Birks decoration, which others date to the 1950s. Also the width of the bangle. Is it is very good condition with no dents? I would clean it GENTLY especially on the inside where it looks quite tarnished. I assume it catches securely. The prices the one eBay seller got sees to me to be very high - and it was in Dec,  so maybe a present. However there is no harm in asking.

Message 49 of 52
Latest reply

Thanks, siddie, so it weighs 26 g and yes it does have a dent. I only found it today and was terrified that I'd somehow done it, but when I look back at the earlier photos I took it was already there. 

I'm really anxious about trying to clean it. I do have an old silver cloth so might try that. 

I also realised that the earlier photos I took aren't vey good; they make it look too dark, so I'm trying to find some better light to take better photos. I'll post them here when I do it. Might not be tomorrow as we have a fairly busy day. 

I've researched today and have lots of bookmarks saved (haha). 

Also, the Burkhardt / Birks / Canadian connection sound right as that's where she came from. 

Thanks again for trying to help. I really appreciate.  🙂

Message 50 of 52
Latest reply