Sellers inability to leave accurate feedback

Over the inability to warn other sellers about non paying buyers through the feedback system...Yeah i know they get non payment strike next to their name yadda yadda...well thats ok for ebay gods...but us sellers cant see those strikes!! all we get is buyers with 100% feedback that doesnt reflect the reality of that members buying/payment history.....You can sugar coat a buyers feedback by not giving sellers the function to leave accurate feedback.....But all it does is send your sellers elsewhere when they discover buyers can get away with mulitple non payments and still have100 % feedback.....Is just a smoke screen, trying to make the site look like it has no problems with its members....Ebay staff helpers reply? Block the buyer!!! that doesnt warn other sellers and it certainly doesnt stop the next non payer from purchasing...it just stops that non paying buyer...We can"t see the strikes...and why should i have to fix it so my setttings will stop buyers with so many strikes against thier name from bidding...Why are ebay trying to hide these people.....

Utter joke when  there are other avenues to sell from now that are giving ebay a run for its money...I won't be trying to sell anything on here again while it remains this way....I can get the same benefits from selling elsewhere, but without the fees...

Buyers get to leave any ol **bleep** feedback they like even if the transaction was smooth and the item is spot on and del is fast, they can still leave whatever the hell they like...Me if i hit leave feedback for a non payer theres no option to leave truthful negative feedback....sure i can hit the pos and try leave non payment in comments but it gives that buyer a perfect feedback still .... which means sellers wont bother to look at commentswith a feedback score doesnt reflect their buying habits!...We see 100% feedback so think the best!!!!

Just over it....I don't have the patience for my time to be wasted...8 days before can put non payment in, then delay till buyer responds or case closed then relist and play the waiting game again. If someone bids on an item and wins...i expect payment.. If they've wasted my time... i expect the same rights to leave appropriate feedback that buyers have...Not this BS system that is in place.

Do not expect replies of support or damning condemming nasty replies from members,,,,Not even sure if ebay Gods will see this...I dont expect this post to make an ounce of difference...knows it wont make changes happen....knows the subjects been killed over and over again in the forums...honestly i couldnt give a stuff...this is more about letting ebay know....ya losing with so many other avenues out there in regards to selling platforms......SMH and this is what your offering your sellers!!......Nah...Wont be trying to sell here again...Just dont havr the time to waste.

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

But even if you see the strikes a buyer can just click BIN or bid in the last seconds of an auction.

Doesn't prevent anything.

Setting your blocks stops serial non payers, not feedback.

Have you set blocks on your account ?

image host
Message 2 of 21
Latest reply

I 100% agree that sellers SHOULD be allowed to leave negs for non-payers

Strikes or not

Ebay does so much for buyers and sellers can go jump

Message 3 of 21
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

8 days before can put non payment in, then delay till buyer responds or case closed

Nope.  4 days to open case, buyer then gets 4 days to respond.

Message 4 of 21
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Your life would be a lot less stressful if you understood the rules and used them to your advantage.

Set your blocks to prevent serial non payers from buying from you for a start.   If all sellers did this it would  help other sellers as well.

And you do not have to wait 8 days to open a non paying bidder dispute....only 4 days to open it and another 4 days to close it and relist.

And you are right....ebay does not read the boards and certainly don't reply here.

Message 5 of 21
Latest reply

You're not exactly new to eBay or selling and you've only just realised this?

I've been a member for over 9 years and I have never been able to leave a neg for a buyer, so it's not new.

I am sure eBay will miss the massive fees they have gained from your recent sale over the past at least a year, but I'm sure they will soldier on.

Message 6 of 21
Latest reply

From https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Selling/negative-feedback-buyers/m-p/2138644#M167730

@countessalmirena wrote:

I (metaphorically) feel your pain.

It is surprising, I suppose, that some sellers are still in the process of becoming aware that negative feedback can no longer be given to buyers; in a way it's understandable if sales over the last few years have not been problematic, or if one's not sold for a long time (or ever before), but I know there was a lot of kerfuffle about this when it first came in. I know too that eBay members were advised of the policy change... Without question, many people never do read policy updates, so that explains what might otherwise seem a puzzling phenomenon.

As Phorum Junkie says, issuing an unpaid item strike is effective in terms of making it less likely that the defaulting non-payer will be able to purchase from you and other sellers in the future - as long as at least one more strike is issued by another seller, and as long as your buyer blocks are in place to prevent buyers with strikes purchasing from you... and (I hate to say this) as long as the buyer didn't go weeping to eBay customer service with a tale about how unjust it all was and how they should be let off the hook. (Oh, and also so long as the strikes are not so long ago that they have fallen off the radar.)

But I fully understand just why some sellers are frustrated by not being able to leave negatives. It's not about what is the best and most business-like and effective way to deal with non-payers; it's about putting the bad buyer into the stocks and throwing a nice squidgy rotten tomato at him or her.

Light punishment during the Middle Ages, the pillory set the criminal up for public display of his/her wrongdoing, and there is some evidence that public humiliation of this sort was actually quite a good deterrent.  The wrongdoer would spend perhaps a few hours in the pillory, and everyone at the marketplace would know what crime the pilloried individual had committed. After he or she was set free, there was no further punishment, but there would be reputation (Oh, my reputation, Iago, my reputation!) in the aftermath, which meant the wrongdoer would have to regain trust by proving him/herself with better behaviour.

By removing the ability for sellers to leave negative feedback, eBay has told them "No, you can't have access to the pillory, except when we're putting you into them", and also prevented sellers from accessing beautifully quaggy and pulpous rotten fruit and vegetables for a little gentle throwing...

Perhaps a suitable way of venting for the affected sellers would be to print out an image of the buyer's imagined head, tape it to a wall, and toss darts at it.

Basically... since eBay doesn't allow you as a seller to leave negative feedback, and you are thus denied the therapeutic value of leaving that negative, there isn't any benefit in getting upset over it.

The best way forward (if you do sell on eBay again) is to treat the entire transaction as unemotionally as possible. Issue the non-payment strike if a buyer fails to pay; have policies and procedures in place to cater for most selling scenarios. Have your buyer blocks in place.

The truth is that neither buyers nor sellers use the feedback system in order to warn other buyers or other sellers. That is (in my view) a useful fiction to give our opinions on the transaction some sort of justification. In reality, it's my belief that we use such systems to express our personal frustration. Fair enough... But  the solution is to find other avenues of venting frustration.

(I find a punching bag suspended from the roof of the garage to be useful when my gorge rises over unfair life experiences. That, or angrily thumping out some Beethoven on the piano.)

Message 7 of 21
Latest reply

I got the impression early on that Auctions are what attracts non paying bidders.  I haven't had a problem since I only list as BIN (buy it now) You can also add "immediate payment required" to that, although this prevents you from offering combined postage.  Statistics will tell you that the majority of sales on eBay these days are BIN. I do believe this is because people in general are time poor and would prefer to buy it now, rather than wait for an auction to end. I would only auction very rare, one of a kind items, as going by my own preferences as a buyer, I always prefer to "buy it now" for everyday, readily available items, and really don't mind if I pay more than I may have been able to get it at auction. Also, with BIN there is the option to watch the item and think about it first, and I find that having thought it over, most buyers do not have a problem paying. It would seem that they tend to get carried away with auctions, no-one likes to lose, so they may bid more than they really wanted to pay, and then have regrets afterwards, and then this may be the reason they do not pay.

Message 8 of 21
Latest reply

I have been suggesting this to ebay over 2 years in my every contact if there is a non-payer buyer and if the case is closed without payment , ebay should put an automatic standard feedback with a visible red dot  โ€œsuch and such item non payerโ€  You can see sellers mistakes on feedback section but buyerโ€™s mistakes are covered with strikes. It is not fair. I have started negging non payer buyers while they get a strike ..thanks for the symbols on the ipad โŒ๐Ÿšซ๐Ÿ“›โ›”๏ธ๐Ÿ›‘โ›”๏ธโ›”๏ธโ›”๏ธ  ๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜‚ 

Message 9 of 21
Latest reply

Hello, khulu74,

That might seem like a clever way to get around eBay's restrictions with regard to leaving negative feedback for a buyer, but unfortunately it really makes you vulnerable to action by eBay. All it takes is one buyer complaining to eBay, and an eBay rep is likely to manually check the feedback in question.

(In fact, all it takes is one eBay member seeing your post and deciding to report you to eBay. I am not the sort of person who looks for sellers cocking a snoot at eBay policities, but these are public forums, and it's no secret that many eBayers read the forums without necessarily posting on them. It's reasonable to assume that some of these people may report eBay members on the basis of what they see posted.)

I truly understand your frustration about being unable to give negative feedback to bad buyers. The idea has several times been mooted by several different people that an automatic visible strike should be given to non-paying bidders. (I'm not against the idea.)

But given that you are an eBay seller, and that part of your livelihood involves surviving in eBay's landscape, the very last thing you ought to want to do is get into eBay's sights... true? That means that it's best for you to somehow work with eBay's policies rather than thumbing your nose at them, tempting though it may be.

In Leaving feedback for buyers, eBay instruct sellers how to leave feedback, by referring specifically and solely to "positive feedback". This help page is part of "Seller Performance", so it's worth taking note. If a seller's seller performance is detrimentally affected, that puts your business at risk.

In Feedback Policies, it's clearly stated under Feedback manipulation policy that "Members can't exchange Feedback solely for the purpose of increasing Feedback scores, gaining eBay privileges, or enhancing their reputation on our site. Neither can they influence another member's Feedback through a series of repeat purchases, or by leaving negative comments with a positive rating." (Bolding is mine.)

In Member-to-member contact policy, under Feedback comments containing inappropriate content, eBay states that "Negative Feedback comments left by a seller that directly contradict a positive rating" is among the sort of feedback that may be removed. (Note that where eBay says "may" in this context, the literal meaning is more accurately "will be if we become aware of it".)

Of course, it's not the end of the world if the feedback is removed... but that's not the end of it. On the same page is the following:

"Make sure you follow these guidelines. If you don't, you may be subject to a range of actions, including your messages being blocked, limits of your buying and selling privileges and suspension of your account."

Is the satisfaction of giving a non-paying bidder an under-the-table negative comment worth the risk of your selling privileges being limited and your account being suspended?

Besides, your "warnings" are of no practical use whatsoever to other sellers, given that eBay usernames are hidden (masked username ID) to anyone other than the buyer and the seller in that particular transaction. For example, on your first page of feedback that you've given, anyone other than you (and the buyer concerned) would see this:

Positive feedback ratingโ›”๏ธโ›”๏ธโ›”๏ธBEWARE NO PAYMENT, NO COMMUNICATION, TIME WASTERโ›”๏ธโ›”๏ธโ›”๏ธ Buyer:n***s

During past month   3x 2018 HOT WHEELS โ€˜16 HONDA CIVIC TYPE R RED SPEED GRAPHICS 2/10 JDM BISIMOTO (#192483142146) -- View Item

n***s's identity is hidden; other sellers cannot add this person to a blocked bidder list because the identity of that eBay member is unknown. Thus, your positive with a negative comment is really only for your own satisfaction...

As infuriating as it is to have your time wasted by non-paying bidders, I would urge you to avoid putting your own account at risk. Think of it this way... If you go through the steps of reporting an unpaid item (aka opening a case), your non-paying bidder receives the strike and will find himself less likely to be able to buy on eBay. (I hope your buyer requirements are set at the highest level, to protect you from buyers who have 2 or more strikes against them. Some of the tightest protective settings you can have are:

Buyers with Unpaid Item strikes
Block bidders and buyers who have received  2  Unpaid Item strike(s) within  12  month(s)
This requirement can help you avoid bidders and buyers with a history of not paying for the items they have agreed to purchase.

Buyers with policy violation reports
Block buyers who have  4  Policy violation report(s) within  6  month(s)
This requirement can help you block buyers who have been reported to have violated eBay policies.

Buyers who haven't gone through phone verification
Block buyers who haven't gone through phone verification.

It's not the same visceral sense of satisfaction as you'd get from hurling a few nice round red negatives at the non-paying bidder (so like the shape and colour of rotten tomatoes), but it won't leave you vulnerable as a seller and it will probably help you to be less affected by non-paying bidders. To put it as simply as possible - there will always be people who bid and don't pay. Don't give them any more real estate in your thoughts than the bare minimum...

Message 10 of 21
Latest reply