ATO official facing charges over involvement in $165m fraud

One of Australia's most senior tax officials is entangled in a major fraud investigation involving his son in which $165 million was allegedly stolen from the Commonwealth.

A deputy ATO commissioner, Michael Cranston has been issued with a court attendance notice, while his son, Adam Cranston, was arrested in Sydney yesterday as part of an Australian Federal Police sting.

Michael Cranston will be charged with abusing his position as a public official relating to the alleged fraud, although he is not believed to be a conspirator.

Acting commissioner of taxation Andrew Mills said two other ATO employees had been suspended while the organisation carried out an internal examination of what occurred.

The ABC understands Michael Cranston has been employed by the ATO for more than three decades and is involved in the organisation's private groups and high-wealth segment.

Part of his biography on his LinkedIn account reads: "My personal philosophy is that the tax system belongs to all Australians and we all need to work closely together to ensure that it is administered fairly, efficiently and causes the least pain for all that participate."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-18/ato-deputy-commissioner-entangled-in-fraud-investigation/85362...

Omg who's been asleep at the wheel there? How long has it been going on until someone blew the whistle?

No wonder Australia is in trllions of $$$ worth of debt with high-ranking corrupt ppl like that in Government depts.

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: ATO official facing charges over involvement in $165m fraud

"Michael Cranston will be charged with abusing his position as a public official relating to the alleged fraud, although he is not believed to be a conspirator"

sounds kinds involved to me.....early days, if i was him i wouldnt be planning any overseas trips.

Message 11 of 18
Latest reply

There is nothing stopping him from going overseas if the police have not taken his passport.  As long as he turns up for court he is doing nothing wrong.

He has already been charged with abusing his position as a public official.   I doubt that they would have settled for that charge if they thought they could get him on something more serious.

Message 12 of 18
Latest reply

David's a 'half empty glass'  kinda guy

Message 13 of 18
Latest reply

Image result for glass half empty meme

Message 14 of 18
Latest reply

glass.jpg

Message 15 of 18
Latest reply

And an engineer says the glass was made too big in the first place.

Message 16 of 18
Latest reply

Image result for glass plastic meme

Message 17 of 18
Latest reply

You would think Daddy would have wondered where all the money

for cars came from if he was rolling up every week over the past

year to visit Dad in a different car.

Message 18 of 18
Latest reply