ATO official facing charges over involvement in $165m fraud

One of Australia's most senior tax officials is entangled in a major fraud investigation involving his son in which $165 million was allegedly stolen from the Commonwealth.

A deputy ATO commissioner, Michael Cranston has been issued with a court attendance notice, while his son, Adam Cranston, was arrested in Sydney yesterday as part of an Australian Federal Police sting.

Michael Cranston will be charged with abusing his position as a public official relating to the alleged fraud, although he is not believed to be a conspirator.

Acting commissioner of taxation Andrew Mills said two other ATO employees had been suspended while the organisation carried out an internal examination of what occurred.

The ABC understands Michael Cranston has been employed by the ATO for more than three decades and is involved in the organisation's private groups and high-wealth segment.

Part of his biography on his LinkedIn account reads: "My personal philosophy is that the tax system belongs to all Australians and we all need to work closely together to ensure that it is administered fairly, efficiently and causes the least pain for all that participate."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-18/ato-deputy-commissioner-entangled-in-fraud-investigation/85362...

Omg who's been asleep at the wheel there? How long has it been going on until someone blew the whistle?

No wonder Australia is in trllions of $$$ worth of debt with high-ranking corrupt ppl like that in Government depts.

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Greed knows no bounds. so there goes someone on i imagine a very good wage to jail and losing everything. i wonder if 'everything' is in his wifes name?

Message 2 of 18
Latest reply

Two women walking.

you had better get used to living in a caravan girls.

Message 3 of 18
Latest reply

Have your read the link David?

I doubt that a charge of abusing his position is going to send him to jail and it certainly won't see him lose everything.

It is his son who is accused of being involved in fraud not the father who works at the ATO.

And just because a criminal has everything in his wife's name does not automatically mean it is protected.  If it can be proved the property was in her name before the offences were commited then it cannot be touched, otherwise...too bad, so sad, it is gone.

Message 4 of 18
Latest reply

Wonder how Hoges will feel about all that considering it was Cranston pursued him over tax evasion? Bit of Schadenfreude?

Message 5 of 18
Latest reply

Also, at this stage, the charges are alleged...

Message 6 of 18
Latest reply

ATO fraud: Another man arrested, charged over alleged $165m tax conspiracy

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-19/afp-fraud-conspiracy-another-sydney-man-charged/8540774

i'm pretty sure any of these guys including the taxation commissioner cranston wont be earning much money in the next few years, thats if they are not behind bars (the prison kind not the making drinks kind).

and most likely their wives, mothers, ect ect will need to get a JOB to pay da bills.

i wonder what an ex commissioner of tax caught fiddling the books to a tune of 165 million ba deep ba deep bucks will be putting down as his former ocupation when signing up for the dole? and what work he would be able to do with any trust?

cleaning public toilets maybe?

Message 7 of 18
Latest reply

@davidc4430 wrote:

ATO fraud: Another man arrested, charged over alleged $165m tax conspiracy

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-19/afp-fraud-conspiracy-another-sydney-man-charged/8540774

i'm pretty sure any of these guys including the taxation commissioner cranston wont be earning much money in the next few years, thats if they are not behind bars (the prison kind not the making drinks kind).

and most likely their wives, mothers, ect ect will need to get a JOB to pay da bills.

i wonder what an ex commissioner of tax caught fiddling the books to a tune of 165 million ba deep ba deep bucks will be putting down as his former ocupation when signing up for the dole? and what work he would be able to do with any trust?

cleaning public toilets maybe?

David, do read the articles before making such silly statements.   There is so far no evidence that Michael Cranston has any involvement in the conspiracy and neither the Police nor the ATO believe he is involved.  

Even if he never works another day in his life I doubt that his wife would need to go out to work to pay the bills.  He would have been earning a fortune by most people's standards.

I feel more sorry for the son's wife.....she is not suspected of having any involvement but she is going to be tarred with the same brush as her husband.

Message 8 of 18
Latest reply

At a press conference yesterday, the AFP and ATO announced one of the nation's top-ranking tax officials, Michael Cranston, had been entangled in the investiga... and issued with a court attendance notice.

That sounds like they want him for a witness, to me, anyhow

Message 9 of 18
Latest reply

Michael Cranston, who police say may have been unaware he was entangled in the activities of others, has been issued with a court attendance notice.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-18/how-the-afp-investigation-into-ato-fraud-unfolded/8536784

Message 10 of 18
Latest reply