Access to Grandchild

If one of your sons had a child and decided not to have anything to do with the bub.

As a grandparent would you like to have contact with the Bub

Message 1 of 47
Latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

Access to Grandchild

I agree Bella...we play an important role in their lives. But I wouldn't want the child to feel any hostility between the parent and grandparent and would walk away rather than have that happen. There is always the possibilty of friendship and contact later in life:)

Message 11 of 47
Latest reply

Access to Grandchild

I agree Bella...we play an important role in their lives. But I wouldn't want the child to feel any hostility between the parent and grandparent and would walk away rather than have that happen. There is always the possibilty of friendship and contact later in life:)

This is my hope twinkles

Message 12 of 47
Latest reply

Access to Grandchild

nimishi
Community Member

I have an 8mth old grandson. The father did not want anything to do with the pregnancy/baby - in fact moved and changed his phone etc as soon as he was told about the pregnancy. The pregnancy was an accident and they had only just met.

I have one photo of the father.

My daughter, when she told him she was pregnant, asked if he wanted to be involved. He said NO. When she asked about his family's medical history - he said awful diseases and conditions.

I often wonder about the other grandparents - what if this was the only chance of a grandchild for them. Would they want involvement, contact, visits, photos...... Unfortunately I only have a first name, and no way of tracking down the father or his parents.

We would be happy to involve them even without the biological father being involved. Also without any financial consideration.

Message 13 of 47
Latest reply

Access to Grandchild

I know of woman who when she got pregnant, didnt even tell the father of her baby, the reason being that she didnt want his parents to find out..

How cruel is that?

The girl now 9yrs. doesnt know who her biological father is nor does she know who her paternal grandparents are.........so very sad for the girl.

Message 14 of 47
Latest reply

Access to Grandchild

I say no. I think parents who bring up a son who has no sense of responsibility and is uncaring towards his own child, should not be permitted to potentially harm another generation. 

Message 15 of 47
Latest reply

Access to Grandchild

I didn't vote, I think I would love to take part in the childs life, but honestly, I would be too ashamed of the action of my son to have the guts to ask. And that would be sad.

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 16 of 47
Latest reply

Access to Grandchild

I grew up never knowing my father and that decision was made for me long before I got out of nappies.  

I never saw my fathers mother much either, other than very rarely & even then it was strained.  It's hard being a kid in between adult prejudices....given a choice I would have wanted to know my Paternal Grandmother much better. 

I say, do everything you can to be in the life of your grandchild, even if your son is too stupid to know better, your grandchild will be so much better off knowing someone gives a damn = JMO

Message 17 of 47
Latest reply

Access to Grandchild

Watched this movie last night..

Auatralia

epic!

Thread reminded me of a scene - the father of a half cast boy, not only he didnt want anything to do with, he tried to shoot him.

His grandfather in the end took to boy on walkabout.

Anyone see it? 

Signatures suck.
Message 18 of 47
Latest reply

Access to Grandchild

I watched it too for the umpteenth time...my OH asked if it was serious & I had to say vaguely but it's also a tad 'strictly ballroom'.  Particularly the Kangaroo shooting scene....hilarious.  Great cinematrography though wasn't it? 

My OH reckons they dropped more ordinance on Darwin than Pearl Harbour.

Message 19 of 47
Latest reply

Access to Grandchild

I say no. I think parents who bring up a son who has no sense of responsibility and is uncaring towards his own child, should not be permitted to potentially harm another generation. 

I don't think we can judge unless we know the full circumstances.

Message 20 of 47
Latest reply