Access to Grandchild

If one of your sons had a child and decided not to have anything to do with the bub.

As a grandparent would you like to have contact with the Bub

Message 1 of 47
Latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

Access to Grandchild

Grandparents do have rights though...even more so when there has already been a close relationship with the children.

Actually that is not always true. My aunt spent thousands $ trying to get access to her 2 grandaughters  (who she cared for since 3 months old, while parents both worked) after their dad, her son passed away (suicided over marriage breakdown and difficult access to his girls), eventually she ran out of money and had to step back. NSW .....over the last 5 years...

The legal view was the mother was making it difficult and it was having a negative effect on the children aged 3 and 5 an d grandparents have no legal rights when there is a surviving custodial parent..

She sees them at school only as her other granchildren attend the same school/classes.

Message 41 of 47
Latest reply

Access to Grandchild

No one would ever want to be in that position but you just never know what life is going to hand out to you.

I voted yes but I do know how hard it can be made for fathers and grandparents to have access and input into a childs life. My sister has a grandchild she has never met, the mother has done everything in her power to keep my nephew away from the child although he is more than willing to participate in her life. She has made it so difficult in so many ways he has given up and moved on, She never told him she was pregnant, just up and left one day.  The mums parents know of the efforts he has made so one day the child may be told the true story behind her biological father and that he did/does love her.

Message 42 of 47
Latest reply

Access to Grandchild

My daughter has just gone through a traumatic mediation case where the grandmother of her child after 2.5 years now wants to see him. She showed no interest before despite being aked to.

Lots of literature to go through and the mediator explained that the court can order my daughter to allow this woman access if the court saw fit to do so. She does not want a lengthy court battle.

It depends on the magistrate at the time....

My daughter has agreed to sending her information updates only.

The father is not in the childs life...his choice.

Message 43 of 47
Latest reply

Access to Grandchild

Actually that is not always true. My aunt spent thousands $ trying to get access to her 2 grandaughters  (who she cared for since 3 months old, while parents both worked) after their dad, her son passed away (suicided over marriage breakdown and difficult access to his girls), eventually she ran out of money and had to step back. NSW .....over the last 5 years...

The legal view was the mother was making it difficult and it was having a negative effect on the children aged 3 and 5 an d grandparents have no legal rights when there is a surviving custodial parent..

She sees them at school only as her other granchildren attend the same school/classes.

Must break her heart Az.

Message 44 of 47
Latest reply

Access to Grandchild

It has broken her heart, she is the loveliest person and adores her grandgirls, all 5 of them.:-(

Message 45 of 47
Latest reply

Access to Grandchild

My daughter has just gone through a traumatic mediation case where the grandmother of her child after 2.5 years now wants to see him. She showed no interest before despite being aked to.

Lots of literature to go through and the mediator explained that the court can order my daughter to allow this woman access if the court saw fit to do so. She does not want a lengthy court battle.

It depends on the magistrate at the time....

My daughter has agreed to sending her information updates only.

The father is not in the childs life...his choice.

Mediation for child access isn't traumatic is both sides want what's best for the child. It's time consuming but that's about all.

Are there other issues about the paternal grandmother that haven't been mentioned? I ask, because perhaps she didn't know she had the right to mediation for herself to have access until recently?

Message 46 of 47
Latest reply

Access to Grandchild

Mediation for child access isn't traumatic is both sides want what's best for the child. It's time consuming but that's about all.

Are there other issues about the paternal grandmother that haven't been mentioned? I ask, because perhaps she didn't know she had the right to mediation for herself to have access until recently?

Maybe for you it wasn't traumatic but for some it is. Each case is different. The woman used excuses when asked why she hadn't seen the child before or made contact......and I'm not about to tell it all here.

Message 47 of 47
Latest reply