Access to Grandchild

If one of your sons had a child and decided not to have anything to do with the bub.

As a grandparent would you like to have contact with the Bub

Message 1 of 47
Latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

Access to Grandchild

Your OH be correct Cue, The Japs dropped more bombs on Darwin then Pearl harbour.

The movie was first time viewing for me. As i havent rented movies for decades, gone to cinemas or had a TV for quite some time...an internet connection hasnt helped either, i have some catching up to do.

Was great cinematrography, excellent picture.

I do wonder if it was a true story though. 

Signatures suck.
Message 21 of 47
Latest reply

Access to Grandchild

Well, that was the question wasn't it.  Faraway downs?  The Stolen Generation part was historically correct, but I doubt they went out there and got the kids like the film depicts - Somewhere over the rainbow serpant?...like seriously?...lol. 

Artistic license was rife, but the top end does look just like that...the colours are incredible as are the sunsets.  Also, my OH l& I agreed that even in a 'fictional' representation, it brought a lot more awareness of the stolen generation worldwide.

Did it blow you away that Indigenous children were still removed from their parents till 1973...crazy eh? 

Message 22 of 47
Latest reply

Access to Grandchild

[quote mid="605023212"]

Well, that was the question wasn't it.  Faraway downs?  The Stolen Generation part was historically correct, but I doubt they went out there and got the kids like the film depicts - Somewhere over the rainbow serpant?...like seriously?...lol. 

Artistic license was rife, but the top end does look just like that...the colours are incredible as are the sunsets.  Also, my OH l& I agreed that even in a 'fictional' representation, it brought a lot more awareness of the stolen generation worldwide.

Did it blow you away that Indigenous children were still removed from their parents till 1973...crazy eh? 

[/quote

cueperkins,it wasn't only Indigenous children that happened to. My sister and I were part of the Forgotten Australians. Non Indigenous children forcibly removed from their parents at the same time and sent into almost concentration camp conditions, but we are not a fashionable cause. Still hurting almost 50 years later.

Message 23 of 47
Latest reply

Access to Grandchild

My sister and I were part of the Forgotten Australians. 

Not forgotten jean, maybe just not remembered by some.

Message 24 of 47
Latest reply

Access to Grandchild

Not about the The Stolen Generation Cue, i am aware that happened to the whites too if the mother was unwed.

The cattle lol, Looked to me the story was based on the cattle station. The owners wife flying over from England and then against all odds managed to drove 1500 head of cattle to Darwin loaded onto the ship before her competitor.

Signatures suck.
Message 25 of 47
Latest reply

Access to Grandchild

I voted yes I think  A Grand parent is so important in the life of a child regardless of the decision one parent may make.  So if the parent who has custody is open to that absolutely the experience of a Grand parent enriches a child's life.

sadly not all grandparents enrich a child's life, sometimes a child's life may be happier and with less drama / complication without the grandparents in it 😞

(from experience)

Photobucket
Message 26 of 47
Latest reply

Access to Grandchild

I say no. I think parents who bring up a son who has no sense of responsibility and is uncaring towards his own child, should not be permitted to potentially harm another generation. 

When children become adults they sometimes make choices that are not necessarily a reflection of their upbringing. Fortunately, I know all my grandchildren but not everyone is so blessed.

I think if it happened to me, I would make an attempt to have contact but as someone else said, it may not always be possible.

Message 27 of 47
Latest reply

Access to Grandchild

Sometimes the grandparents are less healthy for the children to be around than the father of the children. My children are no longer allowed contact with their paternal grandparents until they are 18yo. Unfortunately, their father lives with them so they are unable to stay at his house or even visit there since Christmas Day. He now has to come down for day visits or organise somewhere neutral whilst we are in Sydney.

I had a beautiful relationship with my mothers parents and had hoped the same for my children, it hasn't worked out that way sadly. The childrens' needs have to ALWAYS come before anyone elses.

With regards to the OP...I would attempt contact if ONLY it wasn't going to cause conflict with the mother and the father was not going to cause drama for the kids, mother and grandies. His indifference is one thing, but if he was going to make life difficult for everyone, NO WAY !

I would ensure that the children had a way to find me when they were ready. There are ways to set up pages that can be found when someone Googles a person's name etc. A simple page with contact details and your feelings and desire for them to contact you is easy to do. You can also put your reasons for not pursuing contact but leaving it to them. You get to tell your story without worrying it hasn't been passed on. Later on you can send them a message on Facebook etc with a link to the page.

♥Trish♥
Message 28 of 47
Latest reply

Access to Grandchild

Not about the The Stolen Generation Cue, i am aware that happened to the whites too if the mother was unwed.

The cattle lol, Looked to me the story was based on the cattle station. The owners wife flying over from England and then against all odds managed to drove 1500 head of cattle to Darwin loaded onto the ship before her competitor.

The focus was on the stolen generation Joz. (See end credits) & movie blurb.

As for the Cattle Station story,  although the mustering shots were taken on a working station in the Kimberlies, Faraway Downs was apparently a fictional movie set and has since been knocked down.  Much of the Darwin shots were taken on the Whitsunday in the town of Bowen. 

Who knows if Mrs. Boss ever really existed, but it was a great yarn....& as I said, I never knew they dropped more bombs on Darwin than Pearl. 

BTW I agree, kids of any description back then seemed to be viewed as cattle, including English kids transported here in the same time period.

Message 29 of 47
Latest reply

Access to Grandchild

Not forgotten jean, maybe just not remembered by some.

That is so nice, what a lovely thing to say :-x

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 30 of 47
Latest reply