Anyone else into seeking their ancestors?

I have become adicted to Ancestry.com and am lucky enough that one side of my family can be researched way back into the dim times.

The other side has hit a brick wall and I have to wait until someone else in the world may have more information.

How is everyone else going?

Message 1 of 4,080
Latest reply
4,079 REPLIES 4,079

Re: Anyone else into seeking their ancestors?

Thanks for that link Flashie, it could be very useful. ๐Ÿ™‚

~ Mon ~
Message 1751 of 4,080
Latest reply

setipus
Community Member

Flashie

okay have been trying to scan them..some are kinda okay some far to dark but will send along if u can let me know email addy.

They are his records, but there is a notation across the one that states his length of service date of enlistment etc incorrect. i took that as some clerk goofed when writting them up. Also the information given on his death certificate and tombstone was given by his son..maybe Dad kinda bent the truth..i have just about decided to pack it all away into the too hard basket

Message 1752 of 4,080
Latest reply

I will message you with my email address.

As difficult as he appears to be to find I want to give him a little longer to search for before we give up.

Message 1753 of 4,080
Latest reply

matega3
Community Member

Ditto Mons comments, thanks Flashie. I wish I could read and write German not that I have much info on her but it would be a start.

Message 1754 of 4,080
Latest reply

setipus
Community Member

Flashie

Documents scanned as best as i could get them and emailed..lotsa luck trying to read them..

Seti

Message 1755 of 4,080
Latest reply

I am looking at them now.

Message 1756 of 4,080
Latest reply

ekangaroo
Community Member

Hello All,

I researched my tree several years ago using ancestry.co.uk, it's a good site but don't forget the free familysearch.org run by the Church off the Latter day saints, they had quite a lot of old records and I used the info from their site to to cross reference info I had found on other sites.  If you are searching for relatives in the UK there are a nice bunch of people called the Online Parish Clerks, these small websites are run by volunteers, they are parish reords that have been transcribed and hold some very valuable information, stuff you would not find anywhere else. Sadly not all counties are available but a lot are and some you can even search by town, village and hamlet. I got back to 1490 without stepping foot out of my front door! Just search for OPC and the county name you want to find. Researching family history is a very addictive hobby but also very rewarding, good luck......

Message 1757 of 4,080
Latest reply

Wow, great tip ekangaroo, thanks ๐Ÿ™‚

photo screen-1-1-1-1.jpg
Message 1758 of 4,080
Latest reply

Hi all, I am in for the moment, but along with being sent on holiday ๐Ÿ˜ž I have been having modem trouble and there is every chance I will vanish again ...sigh.

Gosh you have been doing so much work and so many things going on.

When I am more sure of staying on line I will get back and catch up.

'Til then happy hunting ๐Ÿ™‚ xxx

Message 1759 of 4,080
Latest reply

I am about to start seaching ..

should be a very interesting journey !!

I have been told I have an older sister ..

so I just need to find some info ..

My dear old dad was a prisoner of war in Japan for 3 1/2 years ..

the government notified my mum that he was killed in action ..

she then began receiving a war widows pension ( I have her pension book ) ..

She meet and ( I have been told she married an American airforce guy ) .. my mum's sister told me just before xmas that she remembers mum & the American going up to London to meet my Gran.

They had a baby girl ..

War over .. dad comes home .. air force guy has to go back to America ..

* Now for the interesting part .. Mum's Aunty ( gran's sister ) takes the little girl and brings her up as her own ..

1-2 years later I was born ..

* This last info is new to me ..

so tomorrow I join the ancestry site

Message 1760 of 4,080
Latest reply