Anyone else into seeking their ancestors?

I have become adicted to Ancestry.com and am lucky enough that one side of my family can be researched way back into the dim times.

The other side has hit a brick wall and I have to wait until someone else in the world may have more information.

How is everyone else going?

Message 1 of 4,080
Latest reply
4,079 REPLIES 4,079

I joined too....................is it a closed group..................and active.

I joined a couple when I first signed up to Facebook last year.............one I ended up doing all the looking.......and the other is not very active.

Message 4001 of 4,080
Latest reply

lol, I'll be seeing you on there then. I'm hooked to it, there's so many people asking for help.

photo screen-1-1-1-1.jpg
Message 4002 of 4,080
Latest reply

I just got accepted..............I am having a a bit of a read to get the feel of the group.
Message 4003 of 4,080
Latest reply

You'll see me on there.

I'm still a little skeptical of people tracing back to roayalty etc. I know a lot do, but I wonder how many of them are as well sourced as they should be.

Some interesting discussions re DNA testing.

photo screen-1-1-1-1.jpg
Message 4004 of 4,080
Latest reply

Hi punchy, yes I remain skeptical about the royal lines that I have found in my tree, but all road lead to Rome they say and so it seems with my ancestors.

Mind you, they were very very keen on having children and it doesn't take much to realise that if one child produces say five children and they all produce five each ad infanitem, then before long you have a HUGE number of people who can trace their trees back to these specific people.

As for the 'Royal' bit, well much reading has led me to think they were simply successful War Lords and that 'Royalty' was nothing more than another status they achieved after killing all contenders.  Certainly all 'Royals' of today have inherited thrones from previous war lords and have managed to hang on to their lands and wealth.

The bit difference for me is that they leave behind records of their existence which has been fun to trace, but, let me say, there's many a slip t'wixt cup and lip and one cannot be sure the lines are secure... on top of that, I wonder about the children whose mothers have said belong to their husbands, but did they?

Still it's fun.  My other line is a brick wall I can't break through at all.

Oh and as something of interest, it seems I'm also related to William Wallace... now there's a turn around Smiley Frustrated

I have my DNA but of course that goes from mother to mother and is just about impossible to trace as they all changed their names upong being marrying.

I wish it was possible to have DNA from my father's line... but, sadly I was born a girl, so no luck there. 

Be nice if we had DNA from the ancestors wouldn't it.

Message 4005 of 4,080
Latest reply

Do you both have the International Genealogical Index?  

https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/International_Genealogical_Index

There may be something there, although I've had no luck with it.

http://naa.gov.au/collection/fact-sheets/fs01.aspx

There are millions of people in the world today that can trace their ancestors back to 'Royalty'.  It only takes one link and before you know it, you join them... it's no big deal I promise you Smiley Very Happy

Message 4006 of 4,080
Latest reply

I'd do DNA if I really thought it would help, I'm still a bit skeptical about that too.

Like you I'm female, one of 3 girls, my mother (who has passed) was one of 2 girls and my grandmother was an only child and never met her father. And that is the line I'm most interested in.

All of mine can be traced back to the early 1800's and some back to 1400's. I'm not sure DNA would tell me anything I dont already know. Having said that though, I dont really understand how it works maybe one day I'll get a clearer picture.

photo screen-1-1-1-1.jpg
Message 4007 of 4,080
Latest reply

Now look what you've made me do punchy... I've had to look it up Smiley Very Happy

You don't have to be skeptical about DNA testing, that is a secure science now and has proven very reliable.

Anyway here is what I've found regarding Mitrochondrial DNA which is mother to daughter ...

mtDNA Testing

People inherit mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) from their mothers. This is a convenient tool for studying human migration patterns, evolution, maternally linked relationships and people identification. Mitochondrial DNA has two highly variable regions, called HVR-1 and HVR-2. Medical Genomics determines the structure of HVR-1 in all individuals in question and then compares the results to the generally accepted standard - the Cambridge Reference Sequence. This analysis allows us to give a definite and conclusive answer whether the individuals tested are related, belong to the same ethnic group and to the same maternal genealogical group.

It seems that we all have a genetic code that is inherited from both sets of parents.  In the female line it is possible to trace the mothers back.  the code does change a bit over time, but there is an essential core that remains stable, a golden thread if you like running right through all our mothers that is totally our own.

I do know that they can trace our ancestral races back for thousands of years now and I found that interesting, as apparently my DNA shows that original ancestors came over from the Far East, but how far east I don't know.  

I have read a lot about migration and of course over thousands of years races have ebbed and flowed back and forth far more than was originally thought.

There's plenty of stuff you can Google about it, but I have to admit a lot of it is over my head, not having done science at any level.

Gosh you're lucky you can trace your maternal line so far back, that's quite an achievement. I can only get back to 1794 with my mother's mother's line.

I did have an extraordinary experience with one line of my maternal grandfather's line... I had traced some of his ancestors back to around 900 AD in Ireland, and thought, Okay, well that's interesting - you never know... and left it at that.

Then about a year later I found an article on Google written by a man who said he traced his ancestors back to the same people in 900AD.  I contacted him and asked how he did it.  Well it turned out he is now Chief of that Clan and can prove it by DNA.  He was able to track his male ancestors right back to this particular man and, due to his very secure claim he has been given the title of Chief.

What was great for me is that when we compared our trees, I had got all the right people that he had in his tree, so althought I can't prove it in any way at all, I did arrive at the right people by the right trails... that was a great achievement for me Smiley Happy

So keep going punchy sooner or later with all the mothers you have you are going to find some very interesting people.

Message 4008 of 4,080
Latest reply

Just found this, it's free and I'm not sure if you two have it...

http://www.findmypast.com.au/articles/world-records/full-list-of-australia-and-new-zealand-records/t...

You probably have, but just in case Smiley Happy

Message 4009 of 4,080
Latest reply

I thought I might bump this thread seeing as this weeksphoto challenge is "Nostalgia"..........and posters are digging into their family histories.

Isn't it strange the things you find inParish Records.

ancestry.jpg

Message 4010 of 4,080
Latest reply