Arriving in Australia

meh_too
Community Member

Does anyone know under what criteria a Customs Officer can conduct a cavity search?  And what are the rules regarding cavity searches? I have googled but cannot find anything specific on it.

Does an individual have the right to refuse?

Message 1 of 46
Latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

Arriving in Australia

Anonymous
Not applicable

not 100% sure meh too

but i think you can refuse and then they send you for a scan !

Message 2 of 46
Latest reply

Arriving in Australia

**meep**
Community Member

this might help

http://www.aussielegal.com.au/informationoutline~nocache~1~SubTopicDetailsID~960.htm

If a detention officer or police officer suspects on reasonable grounds that a detained person is internally concealing a suspicious substance then the person can be internally searched if they provide written consent. If written consent is not provided then customs officials or the police can apply to a court for an order for an internal search of the person being detained.

Message 3 of 46
Latest reply

Arriving in Australia

Thanks meep.

So then how do they determine 'reasonable grounds'

What they look like? Their port of origin?

Message 4 of 46
Latest reply

Arriving in Australia

It could be any number of reasons, like the number of times they have travelled to various countries, criminal history, acting suspicious, positive swab test result on their luggage.

Message 5 of 46
Latest reply

Arriving in Australia

Coming into the US, almost anything, no joke.

Do not look like the type of person and do not be rude to customs or you will be taken aside and gloved.

Message 6 of 46
Latest reply

Arriving in Australia

@meh_too wrote:

Thanks meep.

So then how do they determine 'reasonable grounds'

What they look like? Their port of origin?

I guess they are trained to look for certain behaviour.  Some people may appear nervous and when questioned their behaviour may become increasingly suspicious.   Sniffer dogs may detect a residue, the reason for visiting may not seem genuine.....Trying to remember what else I saw on Border Security LOL

Message 7 of 46
Latest reply

Arriving in Australia

This happened to my son on his return to Aust.  I cannot tell you how frikken angry I am about it.  He's 25, looks 16 and has been away for 4 years.  Welcome home mate.........

He can't wait to leave again

Message 8 of 46
Latest reply

Arriving in Australia

I wonder whether where he returned from had any bearing on the decision to search him?

Message 9 of 46
Latest reply

Arriving in Australia

Oh no.   Did they not give him any explanation?

edit: typo

Message 10 of 46
Latest reply