Arriving in Australia

meh_too
Community Member

Does anyone know under what criteria a Customs Officer can conduct a cavity search?  And what are the rules regarding cavity searches? I have googled but cannot find anything specific on it.

Does an individual have the right to refuse?

Message 1 of 46
Latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

Arriving in Australia

I would be interested in seeing the official tape on his interview and examination.

Message 41 of 46
Latest reply

Arriving in Australia

@grandmoon wrote:

I would be interested in seeing the official tape on his interview and examination.

You'll have to watch the TV program where they accost people entering the country

Message 42 of 46
Latest reply

Arriving in Australia

Well meh, just be glad it wasn't a daughter!!!  Can you imagine what a cavity search is for women?

Very much more invading I can assure you...

Message 43 of 46
Latest reply

Arriving in Australia

No, we don't know the full story. There would have been more than 1 customs official involved, once a positive test was found.

I doubt a customs official would put their job on the line making up false drug trace results on a travellers bag. Why would they?

The person that pulled him over first would not necessarily be the one who tested the bag sample nor the one who authorises strip searchs.

In Sydney & Melb they have full body scans at security.. would that negate the need for cavity searchs (they would be able to spot anything untoward on the scan)?.

In the US I got pulled over after a full body scan, because I had something in my top pocket of my shirt .. a tissue!.

Message 44 of 46
Latest reply

Arriving in Australia

@am*3 wrote:

There would have been more than 1 customs official involved, once a positive test was found.

I doubt a customs official would put their job on the line making up false drug trace results on a travellers bag. Why would they?

Not to mention that it is very unlikely that any officer would have performed that kind of thing if they did not have to. 

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 45 of 46
Latest reply

Arriving in Australia

OK, I can tell you, they do tell you your rights, females do not do cavity searches on males (and vice versa) and if you refuse the cavity seach, police are called and they take over.

Message 46 of 46
Latest reply