Arriving in Australia

meh_too
Community Member

Does anyone know under what criteria a Customs Officer can conduct a cavity search?  And what are the rules regarding cavity searches? I have googled but cannot find anything specific on it.

Does an individual have the right to refuse?

Message 1 of 46
Latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

Arriving in Australia

The decision to conduct the search was in all probabiliity not her's - after all she did not test his baggage for cocaine. The instruction has come from somewhere else. We are all observed by teams of cameras and people as we proceed through customs etc, and presumably the decision to search your son has come from wherever the cocaine residue test was done on the luggage (at one point, every single banknote in the USA tested positive to coke residue).

All this will be duly recorded, because when Customs go after someone, they need the case to stand up in court - not fall over because of an improper search, or some other process not properly followed.

I'm not saying don't go after these people if you really want to. Just bear in mind that this is what they do all day, every day and if they told your son that his luggage tested positive then they should be able to prove it. I'm also sure that your son's conversation with the Customs official was probably recorded - as I said before, all these things are done mindful of possible court cases.

As far as the comment about boat arrivals, far more people arrive with temporary visas on planes, and disappear quietly into the general population without ever being detected, and they suffer none of the apalling conditions and indignity of detention centres. Once they're out of the airport, unless they bring themselves to the attention of autorities, there is NO way of detecting them.

Message 31 of 46
Latest reply

Arriving in Australia

"don't you think I gave him the 'make sure your bag is as clean as a whistle' speech before he came?"

You had to give him a speech about that? Why? because you expected his bag ot not be "clean"?

"f those bludging oxygen thieves arriving by ricketty boats were treated like that there would be an army of free do-gooder lawyers lined up screaming human rights.

And the stupid b itch is not so good at her job, because this one she got wrong......"

WOW.  Just wow

"When police do random breath tests..pulling over cars at random..do you consider they are wrong to make drivers who have no alcohol in their system take the test."

Brilliant post am*3.  Thank goodness we have customs checking bags and cops checking drivers. Im more than happy if they get a few wrong if it means they catch a few that are guilty

photo walkingdeadtag_zpsbaca2fdd.jpg
Message 32 of 46
Latest reply

Arriving in Australia

He could have refused a female cavity searcher too.... and asked for a male.

Message 33 of 46
Latest reply

Arriving in Australia

If you are unhappy with any aspect of your dealings with Customs and Border Protection, please ask to speak to a senior officer.

Customs and Border Protection National Information Line
Phone: 1300 363 263
http://www.customs.gov.au/
email: information@customs.gov.au

Message 34 of 46
Latest reply

Arriving in Australia

Come back and tell us what they say when you lodge your official complaint.

Message 35 of 46
Latest reply

Arriving in Australia

@azureline** wrote:

He could have refused a female cavity searcher too.... and asked for a male.

It isnt' really clear is it whether the first customs staff  the son encountered (at the counters) was a female who referred him on to a higher ranked staff member (who are in the offices behind and could have been male or female) after his bag tested positive, or whether the person who did the search was a female.?

Message 36 of 46
Latest reply

Arriving in Australia

I was too busy screaming and yelling when I overheard him tell his father to get the whole story and now I dont want to ask him about it cos I think I will just get madder.

Have you got the whole story yet? 

Does your son want to put in a complaint or is it just you that wants to do that?

Yes I do Az,  she told him his bag tested positive for cocaine and something else (I cant remember)  He didnt believe her and neither do I.

They take a swab/sample from the bag and put it in a machine and the results show what (if any) type of drug traces are on it.

I am sure they  would print out the results,for evidence.

Do you honestly think a customs officer would just make up postivie drug results, just to annoy your son?

Message 37 of 46
Latest reply

Arriving in Australia

@am*3 wrote:

I was too busy screaming and yelling when I overheard him tell his father to get the whole story and now I dont want to ask him about it cos I think I will just get madder.

Have you got the whole story yet? 

Does your son want to put in a complaint or is it just you that wants to do that?

Yes I do Az,  she told him his bag tested positive for cocaine and something else (I cant remember)  He didnt believe her and neither do I.

They take a swab/sample from the bag and put it in a machine and the results show what (if any) type of drug traces are on it.

I am sure they  would print out the results,for evidence.

Do you honestly think a customs officer would just make up postivie drug results, just to annoy your son?

In a word - yes!

Message 38 of 46
Latest reply

Arriving in Australia

so, did they tell him his rights before molesting him? That will be the crux of a complaint, I think.

Message 39 of 46
Latest reply

Arriving in Australia

i dont think we will ever hear the full story on this

photo walkingdeadtag_zpsbaca2fdd.jpg
Message 40 of 46
Latest reply