BLOKES THREAD-aimed at blokes-shielas welcome.

Seems to be a lack of threads for blokes.
On other threads,some ladies have mentioned, their OHs
would post, but had no interest in most of the threads on offer.
I can bump this thead twice a day,so its easy to find.
Give it a go---Richo.
Message 1 of 98,217
Latest reply
98,216 REPLIES 98,216

Re: BLOKES THREAD-aimed at blokes-shielas welcome.

Rest up Linda, thanks for posting.

Countess, hope the NBN idiots guys turned up, finally, for you.

My eyes have gone wonky,  so I* might have to give up work for the day.

Message 93371 of 98,217
Latest reply

Evening Linda.

Glad it worked out for you.

Will you have the other eye done now?

Message 93372 of 98,217
Latest reply

linda, that's wonderful! Pamper that eye, and it should be fine.

NBN technician was supposed to arrive between 1 and 5. He finally texted at 5:10, saying he was 5 minutes away. He's still here; it's a huge drama, with Optus points and Telstra points apparently being radically different. There was a tragi-comic sort of hunt for which of the many cables/lines downstairs might be the elusive Telstra one that the tech found running up from the street. Every room was examined with a lot of shoving and shifting to move desks and cabinets... Apparently we have a lot of sockets/connections/points, but none of them were the right one... until I found it in the exercise room. The Lord alone only knows why on earth there's a Telstra phone connection in the exercise room.

The Telstra cable runs through in a twisty can't-find-me sort of way until it is finally located downstairs in the back of the house in what I call the lumber room. There, on one of the diagonal beams, the Telstra cable (which I should call the NBN cable from here on) connected into one of those socket connecting tidy cover things...? They're telephone-coloured or socket-coloured - ivory/bone - and are made of telephone socket plastic. I'm sure you know what I mean! Anyway, within that (when the cover was removed) were a blue line and a white line which connected to the NBN cable. They in turn ran upstairs to the aforementioned exercise room line but also with a bit of jiggling(?) to the phone socket just behind the kitchen.

So...! It's going to be a temporary fix...? We're not to activate the NBN after he connects the NBN box, but rather we are to organise an electrician to cut the blue and the white lines that connect to the black Telstra cable (which is now the NBN cable), and connect loooong blue and white lines to those blue and white lines to the downstairs office where the internet must be. New phone point to be added by the electrician for this purpose. I can either have the phone connected there or - with the electrician's help - have the phone upstairs in a loop or something of that sort.

NBN technician has now gone, and his part is done.

Next step: contact electrician and get this done. The NBN saga continues...

Message 93373 of 98,217
Latest reply

Verry, verrry strange, Countess.

An electrician for a Telstra phone plug?

Don't the Telstra techies handle that?

And the exercise room...is that for jumping to conclusions?

Side stepping responsibility?

Pushing your luck?

Digging up dirt?

Throwing your weight around?

Message 93374 of 98,217
Latest reply

We aren't with Telstra. We're with Optus. But... I remember now that when the house was first built, it was anticipated that the exercise room would be another room, with a family member wanting a separate phone line. THAT's why the Telstra point and Telstra cable were there...! Clearly it must have been intended for there to be a Telstra line there.

The NBN uses Telstra points/Telstra cable, not Optus points/Optus cable. If a house doesn't have a Telstra connection, apparently it has to be installed in order for NBN to be connected. Who knew...?

Fast-forwarding to now, and the exercise room is absolutely NOT for jumping to conclusions. I use the garden for that! I jump to conclusions as I put all of my weight onto the half-moon lawn edger... and also as I leap upwards to reach one of the next-door-neighbour's lemons. (She said we were welcome to them, so  believe me, I use those lemons with zest!) ___ <- groan place-holder

Side-stepping responsibility - is that a dance move?

I think I probably push my luck quite often. It's shaped like a wheelbarrow...? or a shopping trolley...?

Digging up dirt - oh yes. I dug up dirt just today. That's why it's always good to have gardening gloves handy, and a gardener's nail brush. (I planted some comfrey. I used a Fiskars thingy for making perfectly shaped round holes. The dirt was amazingly dirty.

Message 93375 of 98,217
Latest reply

Just as an aside, I have always been with Optus.

No Telstra thingies for my NBN - and no problems either.

Message 93376 of 98,217
Latest reply

LOL - just lol.

It's a box - on the inside - one on the outside - nothing to do with Telstra - or - Optus - or Dodo.

Message 93377 of 98,217
Latest reply

I can only say what the NBN technician said. He told me there had to be a Telstra cable, and if there wasn't one, it had to be installed, because the NBN runs off that.

I had never heard that this was the case.

I'm exhausted by the trauma of it all! I need a coffee. Where's that coffee emoticon...? coffeestat.gif

Message 93378 of 98,217
Latest reply

imastawka_0-1624961291969.jpeg

imastawka_1-1624961312837.gif

Message 93379 of 98,217
Latest reply

Good morning blokes and sheilas oC atm 15C later.

Countess--good luck with the wiring works and plugs and things....

Need to visit the bank

Message 93380 of 98,217
Latest reply