BLOKES THREAD-aimed at blokes-shielas welcome.

Seems to be a lack of threads for blokes.
On other threads,some ladies have mentioned, their OHs
would post, but had no interest in most of the threads on offer.
I can bump this thead twice a day,so its easy to find.
Give it a go---Richo.
Message 1 of 98,225
Latest reply
98,224 REPLIES 98,224

travmk2
Community Member

Hi to all.

Firstly, I must say thanks to those who posted your condolences, at the time I was not up to replying to them.

I have been trying to get myself back on track and is taking me longer that I expected. I really need to push myself a little bit more before I get further behind on things.

I hope to put together a update post or at least start on one within the next week and think I might add/post it in the โ€œ Year 2023โ€ thread.

I hope everyone is well and ok.

Trav

Message 98181 of 98,225
Latest reply

Hi Trav, glad to read you're trying your best.

We have missed you.

Stick with it.  It will get easier (one hopes anyway)

A little bit each day will see you back on track.

Hope your boys are doing well also.

Still cooking goodies - we'd love some pics if you can manage.

Message 98182 of 98,225
Latest reply

Hi Trav,

Nice to see you back.

Message 98183 of 98,225
Latest reply

Condolences and words of support are there without any need for a reply.

There is something so essentially real in shared acknowledgement of human loss and grief, and the importance of having people to lean on (even for just a moment)โ€ฆ

Update about my mum: she continues to improve and she is looking adorable and well.

Message 98184 of 98,225
Latest reply

Trav I just wanted to add my condolences go to you.

Message 98185 of 98,225
Latest reply

travmk2
Community Member

Good afternoon to everyone.
After mums funeral I had had enough, and was disappointed with my siblings. I felt that after mum had gone their obligations stopped and any input into the funeral arrangements/wake was minimal. I asked that about the eulogy and suggested that we all write one and then we could combine bits from them all and come up with something. Two weeks later and they had made no attempt to start one while mine was completed in less than a week. Grrrr, I sent a copy of mine to them and said mine was fine. There is a bit more to this, but I might post it another day.

I needed a break and decided to get away for a while. Phoned some friends of mine, (an elderly couple I first met when I started my first full time job after leaving school who had a business next to where I worked and became good friends) and asked if I could come for visit. (It had been around 5 or so years since I last saw them) I organized a few things, let my neighbours & tenants know, arranged for someone to do the lawns and told my kids & wifey of my plans. Late Sept I loaded my vehicle & hit the road. Itโ€™s about a 2000k trip, arriving on day 5. I took my time and stayed in budget motels overnight. I stayed with them for just over 3 months, and on my way home stayed with one of my boys for a weekend who lives about 300ks south of my friends and arrived back home in January for a fresh start.

I had and still are behind on things, work on my own home stopped, so did any start on a place one of my kids own that is not far from me. Since being back I started the work on my sons place and so far I am pleased with how it is looking but guess I have another few months before it is finished, where my place can wait a little longer. I have some jobs to do for wifey that will only take me a day or two and are aiming to do them next month. The last couple of days I have been trying to catch up on a lot of paperwork that I been putting off from doing and need to get it done, hoping to get it up to date over the weekend. I have a couple of minor jobs to do for some other people and there is no urgency to do them just yet.
If I feel I need a rest day or days, I take them and will spend a day here and there doing nothing.
My boys are doing great, and get regular calls from them to check in on me
Trav

Message 98186 of 98,225
Latest reply

Sounds like you needed that 3 months+ to recharge yourself, Trav, and it's good that you decided on doing so.

I bet you earned your keep with those elderly friends.  ๐Ÿ˜Š

Glad your boys are checking in with you to make sure everything's A-OK.

Don't rush doing anything at all.

Taking your time is the best way for you, I feel.

It is nice to see you back in here.

Message 98187 of 98,225
Latest reply

Familyโ€ฆ all we can do is love them and - if it turns out that way - expect little from them. People will do what their own narrative tells them they can do, and for your own sake itโ€™s not worth getting upset.

You did the right thing to take time out.

Message 98188 of 98,225
Latest reply

travmk2
Community Member

Hi Stawks, I wasn't sure if I should take a break and go away but it was mainly 2 of my kids that kept on my case to go and I am pleased I listened them. The couple have always said to me "there is always a bed here for you". We went out for dinner quite a few times and it wasn't easy to convince them to let me pay the bill.

When I was leaving to come home I grabbed an empty glass jar and stacked it with a heap 50s & 100s and left in the cupboard where the coffee and tea was. In under an hour I got a text from them saying "you bug#er" with a bunch of hearts added, that text lifted me up and I realised how blessed I am to have them as friends.

Message 98189 of 98,225
Latest reply

wow, paying it forward pays dividends in unexpected ways ๐ŸŒป

Message 98190 of 98,225
Latest reply