Baby Archie! They're having a larf

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Surely they're having us all on.

Archie?  Really?

And I bet he's a redhead like his dad

Image result for archie comic

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-royals-baby-name/archie-american-comic-book-character-and...

Message 1 of 43
Latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

Re: Baby Archie! They're having a larf

It's not royal as we know it, but I think that's a statement in itself and quite deliberate.

I was chatting to my daughter (who is in her 30s) and her comment was she loves the names, both of them. She said it's not at all royal but what does it matter. She made an interesting comment. She said we hear about Charles and about William & Harry, but how often do you hear about Charles' siblings & their families eg Edward's children? Practically never. Hard pressed to even know their names.

It will probably be the same in the future for Archie. 

People will hear a lot about George's family and maybe a bit about Charlotte's and Louis' doings and their children. But about their cousins? Not so much.

But Archie Harrison is a popular choice amongst modern parents and it's going to be interesting to see how much the names rise in popularity.Smiley Happy

What i mostly noticed was little Archie's shawl. Beautiful. I've got another grandchild expected in Sept and I went to the website to have a look at some of the (more modestly priced) shawls there. I think I'll get one.Smiley Happy

Message 31 of 43
Latest reply

iDdLj8A.jpg

Message 32 of 43
Latest reply

@ponies68 wrote:
It's a baby. One day old and already being bagged ๐Ÿ˜’

Rubbish.  No one is bagging the baby.  Just the name.

To some people the name has no royal tradition behind it, others (like me) think the name is old fashioned ..and not in a good way.  Especially as Archie is usually short for Archibald. I think there was a good reason why actor Archibald Leach is better known as Cary Grant. ๐Ÿ™‚ 

What are they going to call the next child if it's a girl?  I suggest Gertie. ๐Ÿ™‚

This reminds me of the angry mother who named her baby Squire Sebastian Senator (that's his first name and she insisted he must be called by all three names as though they are one)., but her family and friends laughed at her choice (frankly who wouldn't) and she took them to task for 'attacking her baby personally (not yet born BTW)' rather than the poor kid's name.

Message 33 of 43
Latest reply

His nickname will be Mariarchi or Maserati
Message 34 of 43
Latest reply

I agree that Archie is an old fashioned name.

Mum's cousin named her first baby Archibald Daniel after the baby's grandfathers.  He was always known as Archie or Arch and the general consensus was that it was a very old fashioned name even 60 odd years ago.  "Baby" Archie has just retired and the name still sounds old fashioned.

His sister was named Vida after her grandmother and most of the family thought exactly the same about that as they had thought about her brother's name....very old fashioned.

Eventually the royal baby will get a title.  It is a pity his parents did not think ahead as to how it will sound....Prince Archie just does not do it for me at all.

Message 35 of 43
Latest reply

'Prince Harry' didn't work either, when he was named as such.

But we all got used to it.

I guess we'll get used to Prince Archie.

I am surprised at the choice though, because Archie Bunker was the biggest bigot on American TV.

Spoiler

No way would they let a show like this on the air now.

Message 36 of 43
Latest reply

Message 38 of 43
Latest reply

I'm not so sure about that Stawks.....I still dislike my cousin's name after 60+ years.

The Henry/Harry debate did not worry me unduly as my grandfather was Henry known by all except my grandmother as Harry.

I am surprised that they chose a name that was immediately linked to the biggest biggot known (even Alf Garnett could not hold a candle to Archie Bunker) and a comic book character.

Message 39 of 43
Latest reply

The name's growing on me..................but so do warts.

Message 40 of 43
Latest reply