Cashless Welfare Card

moonflyte
Community Member

Could this be the end of the tragedy of alcohol fueled violence and child neglect.

A cashless welfare card aimed at stemming alcohol abuse would be rolled out across the country under a welfare reform the Turnbull government is considering taking to the election.

As regional trouble spots line up to be chosen for trials of the government’s new Healthy Welfare Card to begin next month, The Australian understands the Coalition may seek an election mandate to extend the card to welfare recipients across regional Australia if they achieve positive results.

Under the new system — proposed by mining magnate ­Andrew Forrest in his review of the welfare system in 2014 — 80 per cent of a person’s government payment would be ­quarantined to a bank card that could not be used to buy alcohol and gambling products, nor ­converted to cash.

The remaining 20 per cent could be accessible as cash.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/national-cashless-welfare-card-plan-by-turnbull-gov...

Message 1 of 218
Latest reply
217 REPLIES 217

Cashless Welfare Card

In the USA you only get welfare for 6 months and you have to train up for another job and you get food stamps for food.

Has anyone ever done any research into the effects this may have had on health and crime statistics in the USA 

Message 21 of 218
Latest reply

Cashless Welfare Card

esayaf
Community Member
Why is the way I chose to live my life and spend my money suddenly something someone else has control over now just because I'm no longer working?
I don't have a wife and children. Who am I disadvantaging.
It would appear that I am the only one here on unemployment benefits.
So I have actual experience of how this card will negatively impact those on unemployment benefits.
For one I can get as drunk as I was to desire anyway because my good friend that brews and my step father will give me as much beer as I want and I wouldn't be the only one that would still have easy access to beer/wine.
This policy will just be a blatant vote gab from the welfare bashers.
Abbott in a mask.
They stopped the boats and now they'll stop the bludgers.
Anyone can end up unemployed. I was a self employed contractor and two years ago developed acute angina and was unable to fulfil my contract while I wasn't legally allowed to drive. It's illegal to drive with a diagnosed heart condition until cleared by a cardiologist.
I'm also a diabetic and have multiple physical injuries with chronic arthritis. Ten years ago I'd have probably qualified for a pension.
Now I'm unemployed and with an abundance of fit younger people in front of me every time I go for a job I don't have to tell you about the results in that race.
Think before you endorse a policy that will kick those that are already down
Message 22 of 218
Latest reply

Cashless Welfare Card

esayaf
Community Member
I have no choice. I was collecting scrap steel for some food money but now it is worthless.
My sister gives me money every fortnight. I normally sell some of my collection but lately I can't sell anything. I don't smoke and didn't drink for twenty years. I drink now. Probably go crazy if I didn't. Luckily I collect things.
Message 23 of 218
Latest reply

Cashless Welfare Card

esayaf
Community Member
It's pretty obvious the difference between us and the states
Message 24 of 218
Latest reply

Cashless Welfare Card

@djilukjilly wrote:

Surely in the communities where children are neglected it is working.

All welfare recipients are not drunken bashers, nobody said that, but: if you are receiving welfare then surely the 20% cash would buy you a cold beer on a hot day.

And the rest of the money goes on rent, food and other necessities.  In the USA you only get welfare for 6 months and you have to train up for another job and you get food stamps for food.

Welfare in Australia is sadly used by a small group to support a lifestyle choice.

Actually, that's not right. Up until 2008 people could collect indefinitely...as long as they qualified. Then the system was reformed and it was changed so that people could only collect for five years tops. However, the states can extend the time period based on individual circumstances. Which I think is good because every circumstance is different and five years (while sounding like a long time) may not be enough time for everyone to get soundly on their feet. As far as I know, food stamps are no longer used. It's all EBT cards now (electronic benefit transfer).  

People with young children can also apply for WIC which they can use to purchase milk, baby formula and other food essentials for infants and toddlers. And there is also a government daycare program for parent(s) who fall below a certain income.

you have to train up for another job and you get food stamps for food.

Actually alll they have to do is apply for a certain number of jobs per month and list the places where they applied. Mind you, they don't have to apply at places that are actually hiring, they only have to show that they are going out and looking for work to continue to recieve benefits.

Message 25 of 218
Latest reply

Cashless Welfare Card

Esayaf,  wouldn't you qualify for disability pension?

It's more money per fortnight and you get all the benefits of  a pension

i.e discounts on utilities, rates, rego etc

Message 26 of 218
Latest reply

Cashless Welfare Card

@djilukjilly wrote:

Could this be the end of the tragedy of alcohol fueled violence and child neglect.

A cashless welfare card aimed at stemming alcohol abuse would be rolled out across the country under a welfare reform the Turnbull government is considering taking to the election.

As regional trouble spots line up to be chosen for trials of the government’s new Healthy Welfare Card to begin next month, The Australian understands the Coalition may seek an election mandate to extend the card to welfare recipients across regional Australia if they achieve positive results.

Under the new system — proposed by mining magnate ­Andrew Forrest in his review of the welfare system in 2014 — 80 per cent of a person’s government payment would be ­quarantined to a bank card that could not be used to buy alcohol and gambling products, nor ­converted to cash.

The remaining 20 per cent could be accessible as cash.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/national-cashless-welfare-card-plan-by-turnbull-gov...

Although the policy may need some refinements it sounds reasonable. I do wonder why it is only going to be rolled out in regional areas though. Isnt misuse of welfare payments a problem in cities too or is it only people in the regional areas who use welfare payments which are meant to provide the basic necessaties of life for other purposes. If it is going to be rolled out, make it universal.

Unemployment benefits are only really designed as a stop gap to provide the very basics to keep a person going until they regain employment. If a person is genuinly too sick to ever work again, the disability support pension is designed to cater for this need.

This isnt money that "the government gives people". It is money that employed taxpayers work extra hours for and then give it to those who dont work. With benefits of all sorts making up the largest single expense in government budgets, a person working a 40 hour week would be working several hours for free to hand over the money to benefit recipients through tax. This is a hard concept for many to understand, especially if they themselves have lived off of the "public purse" all of their lives.

I have public housing at the rear of my place and there is certianly one family that chose welfare as a lifestyle choice. They keep having babies, have booted their teenage daughter out ( now homeless ) to illegally sub lease her bedroom to a "tenant" and have a thriving dope business going. ( when the porch light is on, they are open for trade ) . Personally I dont appreciate having to work extra hours to pay tax so that they can sit on their butts smoking dope all day.

The other house has people with genuine health problems. They are unable to work, will never be able to maintain regular employment and should be looked after by a compassionate society.

I,m sure many will see this post as  " centrelink bashing ", but this would seriously underestimate my views on the subject. I believe that a modern, wealthy, compassionate society SHOULD look after the aged, physically and intillectually disadvantaged. I also believe that the rest of the community who are capable of taking responsability for their own well being should do so and should contribute through tax to supporting those in genuine need as well as paying for social infrastructure.

The problem is there are too many people who find it too easy to just live off of other taxpayers labours, rather than getting out of bed and contributing to society. This contributes to the social stigmatisation of those in genuine need ( reffered to by other posters on this thread ). The numbers doing this have become so large, that funds for those in genuine need are restricted. This is not fair to taxpayers and not fair to genuine welfare recipients.

Message 27 of 218
Latest reply

Cashless Welfare Card

@esayaf wrote:
Why is the way I chose to live my life and spend my money suddenly something someone else has control over now just because I'm no longer working?
I don't have a wife and children. Who am I disadvantaging.
It would appear that I am the only one here on unemployment benefits.
So I have actual experience of how this card will negatively impact those on unemployment benefits.
For one I can get as drunk as I was to desire anyway because my good friend that brews and my step father will give me as much beer as I want and I wouldn't be the only one that would still have easy access to beer/wine.
This policy will just be a blatant vote gab from the welfare bashers.
Abbott in a mask.
They stopped the boats and now they'll stop the bludgers.
Anyone can end up unemployed. I was a self employed contractor and two years ago developed acute angina and was unable to fulfil my contract while I wasn't legally allowed to drive. It's illegal to drive with a diagnosed heart condition until cleared by a cardiologist.
I'm also a diabetic and have multiple physical injuries with chronic arthritis. Ten years ago I'd have probably qualified for a pension.
Now I'm unemployed and with an abundance of fit younger people in front of me every time I go for a job I don't have to tell you about the results in that race.
Think before you endorse a policy that will kick those that are already down

In the US, you would probably qualify for social security benefits, which is completely different than welfare. From the minute you start your first job, money is taken from your paycheck to go towards social security. When you reach the age of 67 (it used to be 65) you can start collecting SS benefits. You can also start collecting at 62, but then you have to take a cut if you collect early. You can also collect early if you have a disablity or health issues that prevent you from working. Or if your spouse passes away you can collect for your children until they reach the age of 18. Is a pension the same thing as our social security program?

Message 28 of 218
Latest reply

Cashless Welfare Card

Is a pension the same thing as our social security program?

Your social security programme sounds like our superannuation.

Pay into it while you're working and collect on retirement.

Tax free at age 65, but can collect payments at 60

The pension (there are different ones) old age, disabliity, single parent. carers -

all are welfare

Message 29 of 218
Latest reply

Cashless Welfare Card

moonflyte
Community Member

I suppose something has to be done to rein in the massive welfare budget. China is slipping into what might be called a recession, our Gdp is falling and the headwinds are visible in Europe.

People genuinely in need should and are provided for.

Message 30 of 218
Latest reply