Chin Wag Survey: How much did you Spend on your engagement ring?

Or if you didn't buy it. Did you find out how much he spent? If so, do you feel he spent too much.. too little. 

Go. 

Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

One hundred pounds in 1965.....just before decimal currency came in.  It was insured for $200 in March 1966.

We bought it together and bought what we could afford.....it is currently insured for just over $4000.

Message 2 of 24
Latest reply

OMG Lyndal.   In 1965 I was earning £3 a week.

Your ring was worth   Image result for smiley abacus animatedabout 8 months of my pay back then.

My ring cost $150 in 1970

And BTW, I'm not a CWer

Is there a right/wrong answer?    Or a prize, Bob?

Message 3 of 24
Latest reply

It was about 5 weeks of my fiancee's pay at the time....he was in the Navy.

When I left work in January 1967 to go to Canberra my take home pay was $30.50.....I had a lovely collection of the round 50c pieces.

Message 4 of 24
Latest reply

@the_bob_delusion wrote:

Or if you didn't buy it. Did you find out how much he spent? If so, do you feel he spent too much.. too little. 

Go. 

I cant remember. It wasnt a fortune though as we where both pretty broke back then. Just as well we didnt spend a lot cos I think both mine and the missus rings have gone missing over the years. Pity really as I wouldnt mind having my wedding band. Lost the ring, but I,ve still got the same missus.

Message 5 of 24
Latest reply

go-tazz
Community Member

@the_bob_delusion wrote:

Go. 

Didn't have a ring when I proposed in 1975 and the wedding ring costs us a $5 dinner set that a friend of my OH

didn't want after her marriage broke up,(celebrated our 42nd anniversary last month)good.gif

I reckon I spent just the right amount,(she's never had a go at me for spending too much or to little on it)tease.gif

Message 6 of 24
Latest reply

My engagement ring cost $175 in the late 70s...and it was paid off on layby. 🙂  A small diamond in an 'illusion' setting with 2 diamond chips on the sides.  It was not considered expensive then but I liked it and we could (just) afford it.

Someone who was also recently engaged and was given an expensive sapphire and diamond ring, asked to see mine.  I showed it to her and her comment was, "Oh, isn't it petite?"  Her comment was meant to be as dismissive as it sounded.  I just laughed.

It's not meant to be a competition.  I wouldn't have swapped my ring for anything.  We got engaged, I was given the ring...it signified what it was supposed to. *shrugs*

Message 7 of 24
Latest reply

its a symbol. not a status symbol.

too bad these days there are those want to let everyone know they are better than you (at least they think that they are)

size does not matter, its what it represents that matters.

too much social media exposure of semi celebs flaunting silly 'rocks' with the 'he must really love me, LOOK!'

6 months later its all over.

Message 8 of 24
Latest reply

We got married in 1973 after living together for a couple of years - me 19 and him 21.  Didn't bother getting engaged because we were already living together, seemed like going back a step.  We could've bought a ring in the years since, but we have always thought - "ah well, we could have a good trip away to - insert multiple destinations here - for that", so have never bothered. 

Now, seems superfluous to us - would never bother.  He lost his wedding ring years ago, mine gives me eczema so I don't wear it - but in my humble opinion, we could not be more married (he might feel differently!!!  - ha!!).  Rings not important to either of us. 

No criticism intended towards anyone who does find the symbolism important, each to his or her own. 

Message 9 of 24
Latest reply

Nothing.

Didn't need or want one.

Robot Happy

Message 10 of 24
Latest reply