Citizenship crisis: Government threatens to send MPs to HC.

Citizenship crisis: Labor threatens to 'go nuclear' if Government refers MPs to High Court

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-12/government-could-refer-labor-mps-to-high-court/9142306

So Mr Nice Turnbull is showing his true colours at last. sick of defending his own sorry bunch of no hopers, now hes going to start attacking labor MPs. even though he hasnt got any real evidence they are guilty of anything.

does he not recall his attack on Bill Shorten re: his citizenship?

how he bellowed in parlement for Bill, to put up or shut up! and well, Bill did put up and he was NOT a dual citizen, malcolm was WRONG as usual.

with the Govt now not having the NUMBERS to govern, we should be having an election, ASAP! at this rate there will be no one left sitting on the GOVT side!

the Liberal/National party is making a mokery of governing this country!

Where the heck is the GOVENOR GENERAL?

Message 1 of 42
Latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

@davidc4430 wrote:

At 11am yesterday the Governor General was at the War Memorial in Canberra for the Remembrance Day Commemorations.

What do you think he can do....what do you want him to do.....neither the Liberal Party or the Labor Party want him to intervene and he cannot do so off his own bat.

Message 3 of 42
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Pardon my iggorance on all things political,  sleepy smiley.gif   but.................

we had a Prime Minister born in Wales.   Miss Gillard, I believe.

Can someone explain (in about 2 sentences) what's the difference?

Message 4 of 42
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

@davidc4430 wrote:

At 11am yesterday the Governor General was at the War Memorial in Canberra for the Remembrance Day Commemorations.

What do you think he can do....what do you want him to do.....neither the Liberal Party or the Labor Party want him to intervene and he cannot do so off his own bat.

it doesnt matter what labor or liberal want. its what must be done, clear the decks, new election, start again.

how many bye elections are we going to flit the bill for?

2 so far! they are not free.

so, instead, disolve govt, new election....a 1 off solution.

Message 5 of 42
Latest reply

Two sentences?   That is a hard ask Stawks.

The who-ha is all about Australian citizens who are also citizens of another country not because of where they were born but because of where their parents were born.

They are "entitled" to be citizens of the other country because of where their parents were born UNLESS they have specifically renounced that dual citizenship.

I think you will find the Julia renounced her dual citizenship.

I think it is all a storm in a teacup....if a person was born here it should not matter where their parents or grandparents were born.

Message 6 of 42
Latest reply

@imastawka wrote:

Pardon my iggorance on all things political,  sleepy smiley.gif   but.................

we had a Prime Minister born in Wales.   Miss Gillard, I believe.

Can someone explain (in about 2 sentences) what's the difference?

i guess if she was still carrying a foreign passport, no one thought it was worth mentioning.

my guess is she renounced her DC before being elected. but i dont have proof of that.

Message 7 of 42
Latest reply

It is a stated fact that Julia renounced her dual citizenship before entering Parliament.  It is not a secret.

Message 8 of 42
Latest reply

you say,

"

I think it is all a storm in a teacup....if a person was born here it should not matter where their parents or grandparents were born."

no, it prolly shouldnt, but it does. there are rules/laws covering who can and who cant be elected to govt.

these rules/laws cannot be skipped over under any circumstance because they were written into our constitution, and therefor as i understand, can only be changed via a refurendum. which undoubtably wont get a 'yes' vote.

why would we not vot 'yes' to change these laws?

well, if you going to say that being a dual citizen should not be a barrier to going into parliment and 'running' this country, then you have to let people you might not want in power.

people who are citizens of, hmmmm, Iraq, Afganistan, Iran, Syria, Egypt....you get the idea?

Message 9 of 42
Latest reply

Ta muchly, David and Lyndal.

Thought I'd put the effort in.    Now I know it wasn't worth it.

Bluddy load of rubbish is what it is.   

So I'll leave ya to it.

Message 10 of 42
Latest reply