Consulate Help

When a person decides to live in another country should they intitled to Consulate help.

A SEX offender serving time in an Indonesian jail has complained he has been discriminated against by the Australian government because he has not been given the ''Schapelle Corby treatment''.

The 67-year-old retired accountant, who is serving an eight-year jail term for having sex with under-age boys, is angry that the Australian consulate general is not helping him to get out of jail on parole before his sentence expires.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/i-want-schappele-corby-treatment-australian-prisoner-compla...
Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Consulate Help

Woman Indifferent

I am sure if Corby had been convicted of molesting children, no one would have given her any help at all..............

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

Perhaps he's a bit put out becaues Schapelles crime is still considered a crime here in Australia, but in most states of Australia its not against the law to have sex with someone over 16. So in fact its very unlikely he'd even be considered a sex offender here.

photo screen-1-1-1-1.jpg
Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

Two were under 18 and told police he had molested them.

The Australian consulate general in Bali has refused to give Grandfield a letter of guarantee, which foreign prisoners must obtain in order to be given parole. The letter serves as a guarantee from the home country that the prisoner will be of good behaviour if released.

The Australian consul-general, Majell Hind, told Grandfield in writing that the decision not to supply the letter of guarantee had been signed off by the Minister for Foreign Affairs.

''In making this decision, the government has taken into account the nature of the offences for which you were convicted and has concluded it could not appropriately extend the required guarantee regarding your behaviour during a period of parole,'' she said in the letter

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

He should cite 'cultural differences' as a defence.  Seems to work in Australia

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/news/crime-court/all-charges-dropped-against-registered-sex-offe...

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

Under 18 might also mean under 16 and sexul assault is sexual assault whatever the age of the victim.

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

@the_great_she_elephant wrote:

Under 18 might also mean under 16 and sexul assault is sexual assault whatever the age of the victim.

The article says 16-17, like I said, not even a crime in most parts of Australia. It says that he is serving time for having sex with them, no mention of assault or rape.

Not that I'm condoning it and I fully believe if you want to travel to or live in another country you should abide by their laws, customs and punishments. But Schapelle would still be a drug smuggler under Australian law, he would not necesssarily be a sex offender. I think he has a right to be annoyed.

I dont think our government should be offering any guarantees on the behaviour of any convicted criminals.

photo screen-1-1-1-1.jpg
Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

I think he is a sexual deviant. He belongs in prison.

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

@azureline** wrote:

I think he is a sexual deviant. He belongs in prison.

I agree, however if he had sex with 16-17yo boys here in Australia he most likely wouldnt be in any trouble.

Perhaps thats a failing with our laws?

Unfortunately there's probably not enough prisons in the world to lock up all the dirty old men that want to have sex with much,much younger boys or girls. But I guess the line has to be drawn somewhere as far as the age of consent goes.

photo screen-1-1-1-1.jpg
Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

That's a bit different from simply having sex with them.

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply