Cost of living (Nov 2022)

I know that the cost of living has risen over the years, but sharply in the latter half of 2022, so I thought we could post helpful tips for easing these costs.

I don’t want this thread to become a blame game about who caused what to increase the cost of living, just hints to help those who may be struggling.

Post your suggestions here, or post your experiences if trying the suggestions.

Message 1 of 91
Latest reply
90 REPLIES 90

What a nice thread with lots of good tips. I am so very lucky that I have wonderful neighbours that care and help each other out.:-)

Message 61 of 91
Latest reply

VICTORIAN councils free RAT tests

Free Rat tests available from many Victorian Councils.  I got 4 x Box of 5 from Mildura Council just this morning

https://www.coronavirus.vic.gov.au/get-a-covid-19-test

Screenshot_20230125_122357_Samsung Internet.jpg

Message 62 of 91
Latest reply

@countessalmirena wrote:

I keep coming back to the idea of neighbourliness… neighbours trying to help each other and combing (where possible) some expenses.

I posted early on that I thought that 180GB of mobile data for a year would be plenty for me.  

Since I have been on WW Long Sim plan I have used 0.75GB.  At this rate I will only use 12GB for the year.

On my plan I can “gift” up to half my data to another WW mobile plan holder.  That is 90GB !

In the spirit of (board) neighbourliness, if there is anyone out there who has a WW mobile plan who would like some FREE data then Private Message me and we will work something out.  I am prepared to part with 10GB to three members (30GB total) at this early stage in my plan.  10GB top up on WW Mobile sells for $25, so this is good free data for anyone on a WW plan who wants it.

I have decided that the $150 Long SIM 365 day plan with 100GB will be plenty for me when I renew my plan next December.  Because I won’t be renewing at the same plan level I will not roll-over any data.  This means I might have data to gift closer to December as well.

Spoiler
Screenshot_20230125_101122_Mobile.jpg
Message 63 of 91
Latest reply

saw this on ABC news website, might be useful tips for some readers

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-03-22/money-saving-tips-from-pensioner-as-cost-of-living-rises/1020...

Message 64 of 91
Latest reply

an update on WW mobile plans

WW are increasing the prices of their mobile plans from 24th April.  Some monthly plans are being restructured and consolidated.  Still time to get the current pricing.

On a quick reading of the plan changes it looks like the increase in price is being offset with increased data allowance and some other tweaks (see spoiler).

Summary

The $150 Pre-paid Long Expiry 365 day SIM plan increases to $170 with:

- 100GB data increasing to 125GB

- maintains unlimited standard national calls & SMS

- introduces 6,000 MMS limit standard pictures and video (video previously not available)

- 500GB Data Bank when recharging

The $200 Pre-paid Long Expiry 365 day SIM plan increases to $220 with:

- 180GB data increasing to 200GB

- maintains unlimited standard national calls & SMS

- introduces 6,000 MMS limit standard pictures and video (video previously not available)

- 500GB Data Bank when recharging

Spoiler

These plans maintain the 10% off one grocery shop per month benefit.

There is also the opportunity to re-coup some of the increase through using the already available “Refer a friend” feature.

I had a family member recently change over from Telstra Pre-paid mobile to WW mobile.  After he changed he activated the “Refer a friend” offer that sees both he and I receive a WW e-gift card once he has been on WW mobile for 3 months.  WW mobile customers are able to redeem the “Refer a friend” reward up to 10 times per year.  If you know someone who is changing to WW mobile then get them to activate the offer within the first month of signing up.

Spoiler
If anyone reading this is going to sign up with WW mobile and wants a $10 e-gift card then message me for a code that will get you the e-gift card if applied to the WW mobile app within the first month of signing up.

Message 65 of 91
Latest reply

@k1ooo-slr-sales wrote:

ALDI have a one year SIM for $5

https://www.aldimobile.com.au/collections/payg

Gives you $5 credit, but charges for calls, SMS and data @

- calls 12c per minute

- standard SMS 12c each

- MMS 35c each

- data 5c per MB

ALDI mobile charges are increasing from 24th May.

It is always important to check current costs as information posted on threads is time specific.

I'm not going to list all the new rates.  They are easily found on the ALDI mobile web page.

The $5  365 day starter SIM is changing.  The SIM still lasts for 365 days, but the $5 credit will be subject to a 60 day expiry period.  After 60 days you can buy a PAYG $15 credit that has 365 day expiry.

Rate per minute for calls, and SMS rates, are also increasing (see pic in spoiler).

Spoiler
Rates change over time, so best to check current rates before committing to a change of service provider.

Screenshot_20230421-100013.jpg

Message 67 of 91
Latest reply

It’s been a while since I updated anything on this thread.

Something to add about WW Fuel discounts, if you are in Victoria and have an RACV card, you can get an additional 5c off fuel per litre.  You can add the WW 4c and RACV 5c to get 9c off per litre at checkout.

Woolworths have ‘Orange Friday’ specials on for the next week.  One of these that is worthwhile is 1/2 price WW Everyday Extra ($35).  This is particularly good value for anyone who shops at WW and BigW often.  WW Everyday Extra will get you 10% off one shop at WW and BigW each month (max $50 disc on each per month).

To recoup your subscription cost you would only need to save $3 each month.  That means if you spend $30 at WW each month and get the 10% discount, you would save $36 in the year.  Anything above this is like $ in your pocket.

I am 40 days away from renewing my WW Mobile 365 day plan.  WW did increase the price of their plans earlier this year.  The difference between the $220 plan and the $170 plan is included data (200GB vs 125GB).   I won’t be getting the $220 plan as I have only used 22GB so far this year, and given away 70GB.  The $170 plan will suit our needs.

I have kept an excel spreadsheet to track my WW shops and discounts (screengrab in spoiler).

In summary, and with 6 weeks to go, we have recovered the full cost of our mobile plans (2x$200) and the cost of Everyday Extra (3x$59). Better still, our savings have been $960, meaning we are $383 ahead (on 3 cards).  Add to this the $1020 in WW Rewards $ and we have saved over 16% on our total shopping total.

Spoiler
4F88D0CB-52DF-4D77-89F3-1E6BE64B5395.jpeg

Message 68 of 91
Latest reply

Everyday Extra is no good for on-line shopping  😒

Message 69 of 91
Latest reply

It is now, as of 1 November.

They've changed their minds, probably due to dropping numbers of subscriptions.

Message 70 of 91
Latest reply