Cost of living (Nov 2022)

I know that the cost of living has risen over the years, but sharply in the latter half of 2022, so I thought we could post helpful tips for easing these costs.

I don’t want this thread to become a blame game about who caused what to increase the cost of living, just hints to help those who may be struggling.

Post your suggestions here, or post your experiences if trying the suggestions.

Message 1 of 91
Latest reply
90 REPLIES 90

@imastawka wrote:

Everyday Extra is no good for on-line shopping  😒

You can use your 10% off on an online shop.

WW reinstated the discount on online shopping from 1st November.

Spoiler
A3E0B60E-DAE7-46FE-BE3D-A17F169AF5DE.jpeg98DC9925-869E-4DC1-A734-EC2DD3022EFA.jpeg

Message 72 of 91
Latest reply

Many thanks for a really informative thread!

Your diligence in creating a spreadsheet to track it all is admirable - not sure I could be bothered doing that but thanks anyway 😀

Message 73 of 91
Latest reply

k1ooo, thank you for the update.

Is anyone using an expiry date app? It helps to be aware that a particular food is getting close to its use-by date.

It might also be helpful to have a recipe app that shows recipes from ingredients you already have (especially ones that you need to use up).

Message 74 of 91
Latest reply

@mtnlane wrote:

Many thanks for a really informative thread!

Your diligence in creating a spreadsheet to track it all is admirable - not sure I could be bothered doing that but thanks anyway 😀

It’s my superpower  😂 

Spoiler
Actually, I am retired and have way too much time on my hands.

The complexity of this spreadsheet has increased as the year has progressed.
Spoiler
If anybody wants an excel spreadsheet to track something like my WW spreadsheet, personalised for their needs, then message me and I will help if I can.
Message 75 of 91
Latest reply

So I've joined the Rewards Extra - first month free and opted to be billed yearly.

Downside to that is, I forgot the time of year, and now I will be billed on 20th December. 

Just a tad too close to Christmas.

But I should be able to balance it with Rewards savings that I bank.

I currently have $100 towards a big Chrissie shop.

Message 76 of 91
Latest reply

Have you downloaded the Everyday Rewards app as well as the Woolworths app?

We get extra boosters on the Rewards app.

Also, keep a lookout in the apps for monthly "perks".  These are a free item each month, just remember to boost them before shopping.  They are usually an item worth $2 ‐ $4 that you don't pay for at checkout.  We have had a range of items including a flavoured milk, box of tissues, WW garlic bread, weetbix, choc coated sultanas, kitchen tidy bags, Camembert cheese, dips, OXO stock cubes and many other items.  We run 3 cards, so we get 3 per month.

Another thing to help save money is to look at the next week's catalogue on a Monday afternoon.  You can see which items will be on special from Wednesday of that week.  This can help save money by not paying full price on an item on a Tuesday shop only to find the item ½ price on Wednesday (for the nest week).

(Spoiler shows screengrab of catalogues in app)

Spoiler
Screenshot_20231121-090602_Woolworths.jpg

Message 77 of 91
Latest reply

I don't have the app.....as in phone app?

But have been an Everyday Rewards Member for over 12 or 13 years.

They say to link your Extras card with your Everyday Rewards card, but I don't see where?

I have a code for the next time I shop though.

Message 78 of 91
Latest reply

I just used my “Saved for Christmas” WW $ to buy a Lenovo tablet.

The BigW Black Friday price is $247 (normal price $349).  I used my monthly BigW 10% discount to get a $24.70 discount.  I then used $220 saved WW $ and only had to pay $2.30 for the tablet.

I got onto BigW online site and bought 2x Flip Case for the tablet ($48 + $12 shipping).  I used another $60 of my saved WW $ (I need 2 cases, one for me and one for my wife).

Spoiler
Lenovo Tab M10 Plus

D93E7B9F-793D-4F57-A8C9-C1B9D9BCD48A.jpeg  Screenshot_20231125-133844_Rewards.jpg

Flip case $24
ECC262E0-CFAE-4010-9369-442FAFB9A522.png

What this essentially means for me is that by shopping all year at WW and scanning my ER card I was able to buy a Lenovo tablet that normally retails for $349 for just $2.30 during the Black Friday sale.

Message 79 of 91
Latest reply

I forgot to mention that the Lenovo was one of the things that qualifies for 5,000 points through a BigW booster.

I also had a BigW 3x points booster, and my Everyday Extra points booster.

Total points for my Lenovo purchase = 6,110 (equal to $30.55 in WW$).

Spoiler
Screenshot_20231125-140223_Rewards.jpg

Message 80 of 91
Latest reply