Did you get a text sent to your phone regarding the Marriage Equality Survey?

I can't believe that there is non stop spamming on mobile phones now. This week I have had fake prizes for travel and bunnings.

Now I have received a message on how to fill out my survey. This one I imagine isn't fake but why are they sending these when the vote is via mail anyhow?

Anyone else getting these too?

Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Did you get a text sent to your phone regarding the Marriage Equality Survey?

@davidc4430 wrote:

i dint/havent got one.

as a side issue, since joining the NBN my landlines been flooded with scam callers, your computers got a virus, you were involved in an accident, you need solar power, ect ect

usually by people with indian accents trying to sound australian.

the accident one is my favorite, first i ask which accident they are refering to as ive had several.

then i say, oh you must mean the big one?

they say yes sir, can you describe it?

i say well, i accidentally drove into the front of a store, killed several people and injured 12 others.....is that the one you mean?

about now they hang up!

Just for fun, I string them along and see how long I can keep them on the phone. The really interesting thing about the accident one is that its not really a scam ( sort of ) .

I followed this one through to the end ( thirty minutes later,...... WHAT !!!......it was a boring, nothing happening on ebay day...... ) with a plausable story. I acted a little bit dumb, ( alright it wasnt hard   Smiley Very Happy   ) gave ficticous names, addresses, rego numbers etc. and wrote these on a piece of paper as I went, so I could repeat the same details to each person I was handed on to.  

Eventually they get a man to call you back. It turns out it is a legitimate law firm in one of the eastern states that is ambulance chasing. They are drumming up business to put in claims against Australias third party motor insurance that comes with your rego. The lawyers put in a claim on your behalf, settle very quickly so they dont waste too much time on it, take a big chunk of the insurance money and move onto the next one. Basically harvesting money from our third party insurance schemes.

AMERICAN LITIGATION,  HERE WE COME !!!

Message 11 of 24
Latest reply

Re: Did you get a text sent to your phone regarding the Marriage Equality Survey?

Last night I heard some opinion polls on the news, they seem to be changing a fair bit. Time will tell.

Message 12 of 24
Latest reply

I'm still trying to get over being expected to lick the envelope.

Robot Frustrated

Message 13 of 24
Latest reply

All of it?

I know it's not a very big envelope,  but I'd need to stop a drink half way through, ha ha.

🙂

Message 14 of 24
Latest reply

@domino-710 wrote:

I'm still trying to get over being expected to lick the envelope.

Robot Frustrated

Actually your information is a lot safer in those envelopes than in the self stick ones.

I have used postal voting for many years.....a while ago they started using the self stick envelopes and so many of them were being tampered with that here in NSW at least they have gone back to the old fashioned lick and stick envelopes.  It is very easy to open and reseal the self stick ones.

I have always tried to get the old style stamps too.....I have has to many of the self stick ones come off.

Message 15 of 24
Latest reply

Lyndal - hadn't thought of the safety issue.

I usually send items as large letters - selling - using the self seal - but have always found I need to sticky tape the closure anyway.

Robot Frustrated

Message 16 of 24
Latest reply

@julie-in-oz2 wrote:

I can't believe that there is non stop spamming on mobile phones now. This week I have had fake prizes for travel and bunnings.

Now I have received a message on how to fill out my survey. This one I imagine isn't fake but why are they sending these when the vote is via mail anyhow?

Anyone else getting these too?

Yes, and quite a few other people I know also got one. My daughters didn't though, which is odd. Maybe they are doing only some suburbs?

It's a turn off. I don't appreciate my mobile phone having spam on it. I can make up my own mind without being hassled.

Message 17 of 24
Latest reply

The missus got the message.  I read somewhere that the SSM people who sent the messages did use some kind of screening, rather than just sending them to random phone numbers. That way the messages are more likely to reach people who might buy what they are selling.

Message 18 of 24
Latest reply

Think the old style stamps were withdrawn from sale after the Collingwood 

footballers series..

Everyone was spitting on the wrong side and they would not stick to the envelope.

Richo.

Message 19 of 24
Latest reply

Well, last night, I got a phone call on my mobile.... i didnt recognise the number, immediately thought *cold call* and when i answered it, the caller knew my name and said he was from the YES campaign..... blah blah blah..
I cut him off and stated that I've already voted yes as had my entire household, to which brought forward a multitude of well done's and thank you's, followed by this statement. Now, what I would ask you to do is to contact all your friends and ask them to vote YES in this very important campaign.
I said ok, and goodbye (i was busy) .

Not more than 60secs later, I get a sms on my mobile with this message.

Thanks for committing to text your mates! Make sure you do it right now so that they all post their YES votes ASAP! Get involved at yes.org.au

I have to admit, this annoyed me some what!

I'm NOT doing it......  I did my part. I voted yes and posted it. My job here (as I see it) is done.

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 20 of 24
Latest reply