Fears Baby Asha About To Be Removed

Asylum seeker baby Asha's advocate says she has been banned from seeing Asha's mother by immigration police, as fears mount she is about to be taken away.

Twelve-month-old Asha was taken to Lady Cilento Children's Hospital in Brisbane suffering burns she received from boiling water while in detention on Nauru.

Although she has recovered, doctors and nurses at the hospital are refusing to discharge Asha unless she is provided with a safe home.

Former Nauru detention centre caseworker and family advocate Natasha Blucher says when she spoke to the baby's mum on Saturday morning, something was wrong.

'I called mum at 9am, and she told me that about 7am, some immigration officers had come to her room and told her she was leaving,' Ms Blucher told AAP on Saturday.

She said Asha's mother was told she would need to leave with plain-clothes officers waiting for her downstairs and that she needed to go quietly.

'When asked, 'where are you taking me', they declined to tell her, and said it was neither the community, Nauru or a detention centre,' Ms Blucher said.

But at 8am, a doctor came in and told Asha's mum that she was safe, as he would not be 

discharging her unless he was satisfied a safe home was waiting for Asha.

That was the last Ms Blucher heard from the mother.

When she called at 3.15pm, she says she was told by immigration officers that Asha's mum could no longer make or receive calls.

'The Serco officers said they had been informed by border police that she was not allowed any calls - not even from her lawyers,' Ms Blucher told AAP.

'To hold someone incommunicado like that to me says you're about to do something that's not in their interest,' she said.

Refugee advocates have since surrounded the hospital in hope of blocking any officers who attempt to take Asha away.

GetUp Queensland spokeswoman Ellen Roberts said about 200 protesters were outside the hospital, and would maintain a 24-hour presence until they received confirmation about the family's plight.

Entire Article Here

Hmmm...sinister moves afoot?

Message 1 of 116
Latest reply
115 REPLIES 115

I've been watching how this plays out. you'd think the authorities had bigger priorities than hounding one small child.
Message 2 of 116
Latest reply

Wherever the Mum is, that's where the baby should be.

Message 3 of 116
Latest reply

@icyfroth wrote:

Asylum seeker baby Asha's advocate says she has been banned from seeing Asha's mother by immigration police, as fears mount she is about to be taken away.

[...] 

Entire Article Here

Hmmm...sinister moves afoot?

I must admit I had trouble sleeping last night thinking of Asha. What will happen if Asha and her parents are returned to Nepal only to face the suffering because of that country's civil war. Anyone got any info on the death toll as a result of the civil war now raging in Nepal?

Message 4 of 116
Latest reply

moonflyte
Community Member

A refugee advocate?  we'll wait and see but I think they will return the woman and her child to Nauru, if they don't it could send out a message that harming children could get you residency in  Australia, just a thought, but they really have to be careful here otherwise it could all unravel and the millions waiting to get into other countries could have an adverse effect on Australia.

I know this sounds harsh but that is the governments policy and they were elected to implement it.

Message 5 of 116
Latest reply

I wonder if this is a case where Munchausen syndrome may have been considered.  

Is it a reason for doctor's not allowing the release of the patient, with them mentioning a "safe home"?

That poor baby having been scalded.  So painful.  

DEB

Message 6 of 116
Latest reply

Who knows but it has been said that some refugees who have no hope of ever settling in Australia, and they won't return home, will try anything and the self harming hasn't worked.

I feel for that infant, should it even be given back to the parent. Anyway it's all conjecture, we really don't know all the facts, and whatever refugee advocates say is not to be believed, they have their own agenda. 

Message 7 of 116
Latest reply

esayaf
Community Member
So no other parties in this have an agenda?
Message 8 of 116
Latest reply

Would that make your conscience  feel better at what you government is doing to this child, I feel sick at what Australia has become

Message 9 of 116
Latest reply

@lloydslights wrote:

I wonder if this is a case where Munchausen syndrome may have been considered.  

Is it a reason for doctor's not allowing the release of the patient, with them mentioning a "safe home"?

That poor baby having been scalded.  So painful.  

DEB

Do we know how she was scalded. In what circumstance?

Message 10 of 116
Latest reply