Geoff Shaw no time for taxi drivers

cherples
Community Member

except to punch and push them down stairs, it would seem.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/geoff-shaw-reportedly-punches-taxi-protester-20131015-2vk43.html

Beleaguered state MP Geoff Shaw has reportedly struck a taxi protester on the steps of State Parliament.

Witnesses said that Mr Shaw threw an elderly gentleman - aged about 80 years old - down the steps of parliament and began throwing punches.

"We had a bit of a protest here in regards to the taxi licenses," said a son of a taxi driver, Louie Karkatzoulis.

"About 20 minutes ago, Mr Shaw was just walking from the far west over there towards the parliament," he said.

"A few of the older generation (taxi drivers) went around him in protest during his walk to parliament.

"We have some video footage of Mr Shaw physically pushing a man down and swinging his arms around him causing physical damage towards their faces."

Message 1 of 50
Latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

Re: Geoff Shaw no time for taxi drivers

The man might have been a silly old fool but Bob Hawke is now one so what goes around, comes around

So if it was OK to condemn Bob Hawke purely on video evidence, with no involvement of Judge jury or prosecution, why should we apply a different standard to Geoff Shaw's little outburst?  After all, Bob Hawke might have been having a bad day too. 

Message 21 of 50
Latest reply

@the_great_she_elephant wrote:

The man might have been a silly old fool but Bob Hawke is now one so what goes around, comes around

So if it was OK to condemn Bob Hawke purely on video evidence, with no involvement of Judge jury or prosecution, why should we apply a different standard to Geoff Shaw's little outburst?  After all, Bob Hawke might have been having a bad day too. 

He wears the wrong colour tie and undies, silly duffer!

Message 22 of 50
Latest reply

"Beware of angry octogenarians"-Independent manifesto.
Message 23 of 50
Latest reply

I have seen the footage of the incident with the taxi driver.

The 74 year old driver sprinted up those steps and confronted Geoff Shaw by stepping front of him. At no time did Mr Shaw kick anyone, he did lift his feet high enough as not to trip over anyone as he attempted to continue up the steps. There was no need for the driver to confront him in such a manner. Mr Shaw defended himself....rather poorly but he did not start the scuffle.

On a personal level I don't like the MP but he did not kick anyone, he was comfronted by an anrgy mob who have been distrupting the workers in that area too. Both my daughters heard them from their office yesterday.

Message 24 of 50
Latest reply

I think the protestor should be charged..................... who does he think he is to get in someone's face like that? I don't know Shaw nor anything about him but the man chased after Shaw after he supposedly kicked and punched him?

Who was the dill who said Shaw should have entered by a side entrance?

Message 25 of 50
Latest reply

He's entitled to enter via any entrance. The police should have intervened but chose not to. Completely blown out of proportion by both the drivers and the media!

Message 26 of 50
Latest reply

@newstart2380 wrote:

@the_great_she_elephant wrote:

My,  my, And to think Bob Hawke got castigated simply for calling a persistant pensioner a  'silly old fool.' (and not even to the man's face)

The man might have been a silly old fool but Bob Hawke is now one so what goes around, comes around Woman LOL

No, Bob Hawke is a very smart silly old fool.

Message 27 of 50
Latest reply

@***super_nova*** wrote:

Politician (or any other public figure) should never push or punch member of public who is trying to stop them to talk to them.  And to push down steep steps 80y.o. is just beyond pale.

Is this an acceptable way of stopping someone to talk to them? huh.png

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/new-cctv-released-of-clash-between-geoff-shaw-and-protesters-20131...

New CCTV from State Parliament shows independent MP Geoff Shaw was manhandled and mobbed by protesters well before a scuffle on the steps of Parliament House on Tuesday.

Vision from a camera across from Parliament House shows Mr Shaw being grabbed by taxi driver John Zammit, the injured man, at the bottom of the stairs.

He is surrounded by half a dozen protesters, some who grab him.

Message 28 of 50
Latest reply

@**meep** wrote:

@***super_nova*** wrote:

Politician (or any other public figure) should never push or punch member of public who is trying to stop them to talk to them.  And to push down steep steps 80y.o. is just beyond pale.

Is this an acceptable way of stopping someone to talk to them? huh.png

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/new-cctv-released-of-clash-between-geoff-shaw-and-protesters-20131...

New CCTV from State Parliament shows independent MP Geoff Shaw was manhandled and mobbed by protesters well before a scuffle on the steps of Parliament House on Tuesday.

Vision from a camera across from Parliament House shows Mr Shaw being grabbed by taxi driver John Zammit, the injured man, at the bottom of the stairs.

He is surrounded by half a dozen protesters, some who grab him.

Doesn't it make you wonder why he refuses to speak with these people?

Makes you wonder what he's done to cause the level of distress amongst old taxi drivers and why he refuses to give them a minute of his time.

Message 29 of 50
Latest reply

@azureline** wrote:

I think the protestor should be charged..................... who does he think he is to get in someone's face like that? I don't know Shaw nor anything about him but the man chased after Shaw after he supposedly kicked and punched him?

Who was the dill who said Shaw should have entered by a side entrance?

I agree.  I was wondering why there were no guards but apparently, it was a shift changer over.

In a surprise move, Speaker Ken Smith appeared to side with Mr Shaw, saying MPs had a right to safely enter and leave Parliament and anyone who impeded that right could be in contempt of parliament.

''It is a contempt to molest a member of either house while entering the house or coming to or going from it,'' he told the house. ''I have concerns โ€ฆ I'm going to make sure โ€ฆ and assure members that I am going to look after their protection."

Message 30 of 50
Latest reply