Giving up and staying that way

Hi everyone, im on a short break from a working holiday, but when i started this work i decided to give smoking the flick (or a very goid attempt at it anyway)
I have been a smoker for over 20 years, so far tomorrow it will be 2 weeks since i had a smoke.
Funny enough i dont feel the "tounguing" need for a smoke but i feel as though i miss it at some compacity.
Im interested in how other former smokers handled the quiting and the weird missing smoking feeling (sorry that is the best way to describe it for written word, ive never been good at written word, speak it fine verbaly, spelling and writing not so much, but thats another story)
*we may be human, but we are still animals*
Message 1 of 46
Latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

I quit about 10 years ago - cold turkey from about 20 - 25 per day. 

I sort of understand what you mean - it might help if you internally refer to it as "quitting" rather than "giving up".  For some reason giving up implies you are missing out on something.  Quitting implies a strength in yourself that you have made a decision and are carrying it out.

Message 11 of 46
Latest reply

I went through a stage when I physically went through the motions of lighting up and smoking an imaginary cigarette (not in public obviously.  I don't need to prove to people I'm nuts)  I found that I could "enjoy" those actions almost as much as I ever enjoyed actually smoking.  Eventually I stopped needing to do that too.

Message 12 of 46
Latest reply

Well Stawka, keeping busy is going to be easy, im on a short couple days break from working holiday and as soon as i start again the main thing i will need to be doing is catch up on sleep after 15-20 hour shifts i will be stuffed.

Its interesting that you dont like the smell anymore, i hope to get to that point.

The craving sensation first three to four days was crazy, i dont crave but i do have a feeling like a loss or missing (its really hard to put the feeling into words)

Did you ever have that feeling??

Message 13 of 46
Latest reply

@bakeandfry wrote:
Hi everyone, im on a short break from a working holiday, but when i started this work i decided to give smoking the flick (or a very goid attempt at it anyway)
I have been a smoker for over 20 years, so far tomorrow it will be 2 weeks since i had a smoke.
Funny enough i dont feel the "tounguing" need for a smoke but i feel as though i miss it at some compacity.
Im interested in how other former smokers handled the quiting and the weird missing smoking feeling (sorry that is the best way to describe it for written word, ive never been good at written word, speak it fine verbaly, spelling and writing not so much, but thats another story)

Search Dysgraphia  ???

Message 14 of 46
Latest reply

Ok, locking that in!!!

First four days of quitting i used the patches, they kept falling off, one day one fell off and i had no idea it had come off, so i did not use any more patches, im not going to be using any more patches or inhailers or gum,

I dont want any more nicoteen in my body.

My main sorce of determination has come from a musician i like that was a known drug user (needles) and they gave up (had a set back, but ultimatly gave up) the musician is Dave Mustaine (Megadeth lead singer) not everyones cup of tea, but then again i guess everyone has a type of insperation

Message 15 of 46
Latest reply

Not any more, and I don't think it took long to go away for me.

A warning - in times of stress you will either say, out loud or to yourself,

'Gee a smoke would be good about now'....but you won't really mean it

and chuckle to youself that you have progressed beyond it.

I think you're missing the action of putting something in your mouth and

enjoying the taste of the nicotine.

Try to replace that action with something else enjoyable.  Maybe have something

to nibble on that is non-fattening.  A carrot stick, celery, cucumber?

If you start eating everything, then the weight will pile on.  That's why so many

models smoke.  To keep the weight down

Message 16 of 46
Latest reply

I think it is important to be proud of yourself. Proud that you gave up, beat the bas****, proud that you are now healthier and probably will live longer. Proud that you have achieved. Proud that you are you.

Message 17 of 46
Latest reply

Thanks for that, did not even know there was a word for that!, but i think my way of writting is more due to the fact of how much attention i paid in school during engish, i found school work to be quite boring and would rather study on music theary than how i wrote my grammer.

Message 18 of 46
Latest reply

Re my previous most; I once worked with a colleague who was an internationally recognised expert on heroine addiction. He was of the opinion that giving up smoking is harder that giving up heroine. So anyone who has given up smoking is strong and should be very proud of themself.

Message 19 of 46
Latest reply

Yes I have an acquaintance who quit smoking but finding the quitting of heroin terribly hard.

I quit smoking about 5 years ago and it was one of the hardest things I ever did,  and I used every nicotine aid possible.   Sometimes I still chew the gum. 

Well done bakeandfry with 2 weeks,  that's excellent. 

I too missed them like a friend.

Even now I sometimes like the smell of the smoke.   

Sometimes too I get a strong craving but it only lasts a few seconds thank goodness. 

i might add that in the past I've quit many many times but this is the only time it has lasted.  I think of what I went through to quit and vow I wouldn't put myself through that again. 

Day by day bake and fry and please come back and talk about it, it can help. 

Message 20 of 46
Latest reply