Halal Certification and surprise surprise Pauline Hanson is wrong

45 REPLIES 45

Re: Halal Certification and surprise surprise Pauline Hanson is wrong

I'm pretty sure any such terrorism funding would be cloaked under all sorts of complex business transactions. You think they'd be so transparent?

it sounds like you have absolutely no faith in our govt's crackdown on terrorism.... something as important as money laundering for terrorism, I'm sure they'd be right onto it

Message 11 of 46
Latest reply

Monitoring the financing of terrorism

Financing terrorism is an offence under the federal Criminal Code with a penalty of life imprisonment.

According to the federal Attorney-General's Department a person can be convicted of financing terrorism if they "donate to a charity and are aware there is a substantial risk that the donation will be used for terrorism purposes".

Financing of terrorism by Australian companies and individuals is also controlled under the Anti-Money Laundering and Counter-Terrorism Financing Act and monitored by the Australian Transaction Reports and Analysis Centre (AUSTRAC).

The Act forces regulated businesses, including banks, money transfer agencies, and law and accounting practices to enrol with AUSTRAC and identify customers, monitor transactions and help identify terrorism financing risks. All international financial transactions, no matter how small, are tracked.

AUSTRAC received 91 million reports from regulated entities and partner agencies in 2013-14, an average of 350,524 reports every business day.

They received 118 suspicious matter reports related to financing of terrorism

Message 12 of 46
Latest reply

Why the hell would muslim certification bodies want to fund terrorism when muslim people are the first targets of terrorists?

So they're not only criminal shysters, but very stupid criminal shysters with a death wish?

Message 13 of 46
Latest reply

@icyfroth wrote:

@debra9275 wrote:

Halal certification and terrorism

Financing terrorism is a criminal offence in Australia, with a penalty of life imprisonment.

Except Australian Security wouldn't know if their backsides were on fire. They let Khaleed Sharrrouf slip through their net and let associate Mohamed Elomar's sister funnel millions of $$$ out of the country.

Fact Check has also produced a fact file on how authorities monitor the financing of terrorism.

A spokesman for the Australian Transaction Reports and Analysis Centre (AUSTRAC) - the government body that monitors money laundering and terrorism - told Fact Check that it had no information to indicate there are links to terrorism financing from halal certification fees.

The Australian Crime Commission issued a statement in November 2014 saying its taskforce with AUSTRAC and the AFP had identified links between organised crime and terrorism funding.

"However, the Australian Crime Commission is not aware of any direct links between the legitimate halal certification industry and money laundering or the financing of terrorist groups," said the commission's chief executive Chris Dawson.

that part is interesting too, if it were true that Halal certification was funding terrorism then  the certification would be shut down by the govt. not encouraged by them as per Tony abbott's letter of encouragment to the Halal Expo

I'm pretty sure any such terrorism funding would be cloaked under all sorts of complex business transactions. You think they'd be so transparent?

icy wrote:  I'm pretty sure any such terrorism funding would be cloaked under all sorts of complex business transactions. You think they'd be so transparent?

Actually, you don't know anything at all about terrorist funding, let  alone be 'pretty sure'. If you only skim read factual  articles then that says a lot.

Australian Transaction Reports and Analysis Centre (AUSTRAC) - the government body that monitors money laundering and terrorism

You must consider this govt body 100% incompetent as well.

Did you  know they tracked millions that left this country to fund terrorism sent by family of Khaled Sharrouf?

Message 14 of 46
Latest reply

Did they (anti-hala brigade) mention donations to children's hospitals and the Cancer Council Au as well?

i'm not sure.  that wasn't the main issue

so i dont remember.

there are many people (myself included)  who

would never knowingly support things like the

church of scientology or the catholic church 

despite of the claims they contribute to countless 

charities.

i  prefer to contribute to those charities directly

without any portion going to the church.

Message 15 of 46
Latest reply

@gleee58 wrote:

@icyfroth wrote:

@debra9275 wrote:

Financing terrorism is a criminal offence in Australia, with a penalty of life imprisonment.

Except Australian Security wouldn't know if their backsides were on fire. They let Khaleed Sharrrouf slip through their net and let associate Mohamed Elomar's sister funnel millions of $$$ out of the country.

And of course with all the resources they have at their disposal and after all the hours of investigation they are clueless compared to you with your wealth of knowledge acquired from a few thoughts and feelings.    Send a few of the swatztika crew around to stand over them for the millions they're funnelling out, since you seem to have all the info that the security agencies don't.

what are swatztika crew? 

Message 16 of 46
Latest reply

@am*3 wrote:

@icyfroth wrote:

@debra9275 wrote:

Fact Check has also produced a fact file on how authorities monitor the financing of terrorism.

A spokesman for the Australian Transaction Reports and Analysis Centre (AUSTRAC) - the government body that monitors money laundering and terrorism - told Fact Check that it had no information to indicate there are links to terrorism financing from halal certification fees.

The Australian Crime Commission issued a statement in November 2014 saying its taskforce with AUSTRAC and the AFP had identified links between organised crime and terrorism funding.

"However, the Australian Crime Commission is not aware of any direct links between the legitimate halal certification industry and money laundering or the financing of terrorist groups," said the commission's chief executive Chris Dawson.

that part is interesting too, if it were true that Halal certification was funding terrorism then  the certification would be shut down by the govt. not encouraged by them as per Tony abbott's letter of encouragment to the Halal Expo

icy wrote:  I'm pretty sure any such terrorism funding would be cloaked under all sorts of complex business transactions. You think they'd be so transparent?

Actually, you don't know anything at all about terrorist funding, let  alone be 'pretty sure'. If you only skim read factual  articles then that says a lot.

Well, der. Obviously I don't know, which is why I say I'm pretty sure. I don't think anybody really knows where exactly funds derived from halal certification go. It would be pretty naive to think it's not used to fund terrorist organisations somewhere along the line. And you don't strike me as a naive person, Am.

Australian Transaction Reports and Analysis Centre (AUSTRAC) - the government body that monitors money laundering and terrorism

You must consider this govt body 100% incompetent as well.

Did you  know they tracked millions that left this country to fund terrorism sent by family of Khaled Sharrouf?

Oh so you do admit terrorism funding comes from Australia?  Can you also unequivocally state that none of that comes from Halal certification?

Message 17 of 46
Latest reply

@gleee58 wrote:

@icyfroth wrote:

@gleee58 wrote:

@icyfroth wrote:

@debra9275 wrote:

And of course with all the resources they have at their disposal and after all the hours of investigation they are clueless compared to you with your wealth of knowledge acquired from a few thoughts and feelings.    Send a few of the swatztika crew around to stand over them for the millions they're funnelling out, since you seem to have all the info that the security agencies don't.

what are swatztika crew? 

Sorry, should have read Swastika.

Oh right. I had a few thoughts and feelings that's what you might have meant.

Message 18 of 46
Latest reply

@*julia*2010 wrote:

Did they (anti-hala brigade) mention donations to children's hospitals and the Cancer Council Au as well?

i'm not sure.  that wasn't the main issue

so i dont remember.

there are many people (myself included)  who

would never knowingly support things like the

church of scientology or the catholic church 

despite of the claims they contribute to countless 

charities.

i  prefer to contribute to those charities directly

without any portion going to the church.

And you have every right to do so. But do you post arguments here against funding for Catholic organisations (on the grounds that they are spreading a religion you don't believe in)  or  seek out companies. whose CEOs might be donating profits to Catholic charities just so you can boycott them and try to persuade others to do the same?

Message 19 of 46
Latest reply

yes, i have posted arguments against certain church

funding but no - i would not go as far as organising

or advertising boycotts. 

(on the grounds that they are spreading a religion you don't believe in) 

no - its more than that - its more to do with their conduct -

i dont automatically actively oppose something i dont

believe in. 

unless boycotting products/companies is illegal

then i'm not sure how you can stop them.

Message 20 of 46
Latest reply