Computer question

lal-au0
Community Member

We have an old XP computer and it's getting slow.

I don't know anything about computers except where the "on" button is.

I looked on ebay and found this: 221287821790

We only use it for the internet and for playing "Civilisation" so I don't think we need flashy graphic cards.

Do you think that is a good computer for the price and should I buy any of the upgrades offered?

Message 1 of 45
Latest reply
44 REPLIES 44

Computer question

@lal-au0 wrote:

We have an old XP computer and it's getting slow.

I don't know anything about computers except where the "on" button is.

I looked on ebay and found this: 221287821790

We only use it for the internet and for playing "Civilisation" so I don't think we need flashy graphic cards.

Do you think that is a good computer for the price and should I buy any of the upgrades offered?

It doesn't come with Operating system, so add $145 to that (at least) before you look at any options.

Message 2 of 45
Latest reply

Computer question

You could probably go for more memory - 8 gig  pretty cheap.

Do you need  security software or do you already have it? Norton or Kapersky?

If you have more than one computer, you might need a Networking Modem?

Message 3 of 45
Latest reply

Computer question

yeah, forgot to  mention that I want to add windows 7.

hubby gets free security software from the net. not sure which ones. I think it might be avira and something else.

Message 4 of 45
Latest reply

Computer question

I don't know the market and availability in Australia. Here in the US, shipping cost on something like that would porbibly make buying locally a better option. I can tell you what I paid for a brand new laptop with windows 8  last black friday at Walmart

159 US dollars plus sales tax.

I would recomend just buying one with the OS already on it, preferabally windows 8. It can be made to look like windows 7 or XP. My brother set mine up with a program that mimics windows 7 i think.

Fun Factor : Now you have a choice in chat, factor that
Message 5 of 45
Latest reply

Computer question

Which version of "Civ" do you play?

Message 6 of 45
Latest reply

Computer question

@softail-joanie wrote:

I don't know the market and availability in Australia. Here in the US, shipping cost on something like that would porbibly make buying locally a better option. I can tell you what I paid for a brand new laptop with windows 8  last black friday at Walmart

159 US dollars plus sales tax.

I would recomend just buying one with the OS already on it, preferabally windows 8. It can be made to look like windows 7 or XP. My brother set mine up with a program that mimics windows 7 i think.

If you buy it, they set it up for you - same with any of the other optional software - well, that's what it says in the ad but you'd have to check.

Message 7 of 45
Latest reply

Computer question

Windows 8 is on the way out......owners of 8 will be given the opportunity to replace it with 10, which has a desktop and start menu  like 7.

Message 8 of 45
Latest reply

Computer question

the shipping is free it says.

at the moment we play civ 4, we have already bought civ 5 but it needs windows 7.

so i should get windows 8 rather than windows 7? they say that they recommend windows 7 for that computer.

Message 9 of 45
Latest reply

Computer question

My latest computer came with Win8, immediately I downloaded "Classic Shell" which enabled me to discard those stupid apps, and create a start menu similar to Win7.  I would suggest you consider coughing up the dinero for a 1Tb external drive, and load all your games on that.

As far as CIV goes, I actually prefer CIV3......  Have you ever tried Settlers III?   http://www.gog.com/game/the_settlers_3_ultimate_collection

Here's another site oozing with old DOS games.........  http://www.old-games.com/  For a measly stipend, you can download all kinds of games, however you'll find that modern joysticks won' work on the flight sims.

Message 10 of 45
Latest reply