Hydroponic

Anonymous
Not applicable

So Abel Prasad a operations manager at BBHydro Australia has offered to help people with any questions they have about Hydroponics. 

What questions do you have?

Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: Hydroponic

I think you may be confusing drug use with drug abuse.......

Just trying to spot the the devils lettuce amongst the statistics on the link below that chronicle drug overdose deaths in Australia? It appears the weed total is zip, nada, nil nought, nothing.... What a wicked drug????

A little easier to spot is the profile of the drug abuser and the drug that causes the most overdose deaths

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Lookup/by%20Subject/3303.0~2016~Main%20Features~Drug%20Induc...

Drug Induced Deaths in Australia: A changing story

Harmful drug use continues to be a serious public health issue in Australia with 1,808 drug induced deaths registered in 2016.

This is the highest number of drug deaths in twenty years, and is similar to the number recorded in the late 1990s, when a steep increase in opioid use, specifically heroin, led to deaths peaking at 1,740 in 1999.

Although the number of drug induced deaths is the highest on record, the death rate per capita of 7.5 per 100,000 people is lower than that in 1999 (9.2 deaths per 100,000 people).

Changes in drug deaths have been significant over this period. In 2016, an individual dying from a drug induced death in Australia was most likely to be a middle aged male, living outside of a capital city who is misusing prescription drugs such as benzodiazepines or oxycodone in a polypharmacy (the use of multiple drugs) setting.

The death was most likely to be an accident. This profile is quite different from that in 1999, where a person who died from a drug induced death was most likely to be younger (early 30s) with morphine, heroin or benzodiazepines detected on toxicology at death.

http://ndri.curtin.edu.au/news-events/ndri-news/media-release-alcohol-causes-nearly-6,000-australi

The deaths and hospitalization attributable to drugs statistics also has some glaring "winners".

15 people will die today in Australia directly because of their abuse of the drug alcohol.....that's 15 yesterday and 15 tomorrow. Over 400 will be hospitalized today directly from the abuse of the drug alcohol....there were over 400 hospitalized yesterday and better than 400 will be hospitalized tomorrow

....... yet you argue that the drug that is most substituted for alcohol that the ABS says has never killed a single soul is not a viable alternative for drug abuse harm minimization???

However I can assure you that if 1 person ever dies from Cannabis use or abuse or is hospitalized that the mainstream media will "report" long and hard and probably call for a Royal commission into said purported death.......

Your drug experience/anecdotes concerning friends and family appears quite contradictory to the evidence supplied by the ABS.

The burgeoning growth in mental health facilities, vehicle accidents, antisocial behaviour and crime in the Countries and States that have decriminalized/legalized the "devils lettuce" worldwide is duly NOT NOTED and makes an ass of your assertions.

The abuse of any drug is dangerous but for 99% of the population drug use is not a problem...... go figure??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbjHOBJzhb0

atheism is a non prophet organization
Message 21 of 27
Latest reply

The whole premise of your lengthy post is wrong.

" That people don't die as a direct result of overdose of marijuana so it is not as harmful as some other drugs. "

While the first part of your premise is correct, that " nada, zip, zilch,"  people die as a direct result of marijuana overdose it ignores the very clear, peer reviewed scientific studies which show that those driving while affected by marijuana have a greatly increased risk of being involved in motor accidents, not only killing or permanently injuring themselves, but also other innocent road users.

It also ignores the peer reviewed scientific studies which show those under the influence of marijuana at work are at far greater risk of injuring themselves or their workmates which is why many employers have introduced drug testing in the workplace. as an aside, this also supports my assertion that regular dope smokers have higher rates of unemployment, as frankly employers simply don't want druggies on their work sites as they are dangerous to themselves and others and have lower productivity.

It also ignores the overwhelming evidence that marijuana use results in a number of chronic health problems including lung cancer and in some cases ( one of my friends and past band mates included ) obesity due to the " munchies " effect the drug can induce in some users. My band mate mentioned has became addicted to dope, smoked it constantly and was unable to continue working in his business which then closed. He continued with his heavy dope smoking and the munchies side effect resulted in him now being so obese he can no longer drive a car or leave his house.

The premise of your post also ignores peer reviewed scientific studies which show that young people who are regular dope smokers have a much higher risk of developing schizophrenia and other mental health problems such as depression which often leads to suicide. ( again one of my friends and their family have experienced this )

Your premise ignores peer reviewed scientific studies which show that young people who are regular dope smokers often suffer permanent brain damage. If you bother to look you will see plenty of studies which show regular teenage dope smokers permanently lose up to 7 IQ points over time as well as having permanent, life long problems with memory loss. ( a condition which also can effect adult users of the drug )

Yes its true that dope smokers do not die directly from overdose, ( and I have never claimed they do ) but the health, social and economic consequences of the drug are too great to legalise and legitimize another scourge on society.

Message 22 of 27
Latest reply

New age "reefer madness" and not a corroborating link in sight...here I will give you a hand

Plenty of links at the bottom of this link ...I feel a little like a chain...all those links Smiley Indifferent

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decriminalization_of_non-medical_cannabis_in_the_United_States

atheism is a non prophet organization
Message 23 of 27
Latest reply

ive never smoked anything

what i find crazy is the number of smokers who are now 'Vaping'

inhaleing who knows what from these devices that to my knowledge have not had any testing to guage the long term damage they may be causing.

that to me is just as mad as smoking anything.

Message 24 of 27
Latest reply

@davidc4430 wrote:

ive never smoked anything

what i find crazy is the number of smokers who are now 'Vaping'

inhaleing who knows what from these devices that to my knowledge have not had any testing to guage the long term damage they may be causing.

that to me is just as mad as smoking anything.

There is a lot of propaganda on the internet about vaping. There is a lot of money to be made and lost if our country makes it legal. It is important to read the credible reports by international health authorities etc who have conducted tests and research. The British National Health Service is a strong supporter of vaping as a means for cigarette smokers to try and quit the habit. "A U.S. National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine report on e-cigarettes summarized data from hundreds of scientific studies that e-cigarettes are likely to be far less harmful than regular tobacco cigarettes". The Australian Health Service is way behind and is not presently motivated to increase research. I wonder why!

Most smokers do not understand that it is the actual 'smoke' that is dangerous and causes disease such as cancer and can lead to death. This occurs because tobacco is set on fire and is inhaled. There is no smoke involved in vaping, only mist. Sure, more tests are required to identify the risks. But do you know there are more than 1000 toxins in decaffeinated coffee which have not been investigated, yet it is legal to buy and drink it despite the possible health risks. The toxins will never be investigated.

Given the evidence provided by world-wide authorities who have cared enough to research vaping, I would prefer we encourage our smokers to temporarily switch to vaping as part of the transition to quitting. Despite the need for further investigations the overwhelming evidence suggests it "to be far less harmful than regular tobacco cigarettes". It may be crazy to a non-smoker, but it could be life saving to a smoker.

Message 25 of 27
Latest reply

@chameleon54 wrote:

The whole premise of your lengthy post is wrong.

" That people don't die as a direct result of overdose of marijuana so it is not as harmful as some other drugs. "

While the first part of your premise is correct, that " nada, zip, zilch,"  people die as a direct result of marijuana overdose it ignores the very clear, peer reviewed scientific studies which show that those driving while affected by marijuana have a greatly increased risk of being involved in motor accidents, not only killing or permanently injuring themselves, but also other innocent road users.

It also ignores the peer reviewed scientific studies which show those under the influence of marijuana at work are at far greater risk of injuring themselves or their workmates which is why many employers have introduced drug testing in the workplace. as an aside, this also supports my assertion that regular dope smokers have higher rates of unemployment, as frankly employers simply don't want druggies on their work sites as they are dangerous to themselves and others and have lower productivity.

It also ignores the overwhelming evidence that marijuana use results in a number of chronic health problems including lung cancer and in some cases ( one of my friends and past band mates included ) obesity due to the " munchies " effect the drug can induce in some users. My band mate mentioned has became addicted to dope, smoked it constantly and was unable to continue working in his business which then closed. He continued with his heavy dope smoking and the munchies side effect resulted in him now being so obese he can no longer drive a car or leave his house.

The premise of your post also ignores peer reviewed scientific studies which show that young people who are regular dope smokers have a much higher risk of developing schizophrenia and other mental health problems such as depression which often leads to suicide. ( again one of my friends and their family have experienced this )

Your premise ignores peer reviewed scientific studies which show that young people who are regular dope smokers often suffer permanent brain damage. If you bother to look you will see plenty of studies which show regular teenage dope smokers permanently lose up to 7 IQ points over time as well as having permanent, life long problems with memory loss. ( a condition which also can effect adult users of the drug )

Yes its true that dope smokers do not die directly from overdose, ( and I have never claimed they do ) but the health, social and economic consequences of the drug are too great to legalise and legitimize another scourge on society.

The post quoted above is worthless without citations.

Please supply links to the various "peer reviewed scientific studies"  you claim exist. Recent up-to-date studies would be appreciated.

I'll take a few of the points you claim (without corroborating evidence) and I'll post links to credible sources which, if not always refuting them absolutely, at least inform us that the issue is not as clear-cut as you might like to believe.

marijuana and car accidents:

"Last week, a pair of studies came to seemingly opposite conclusions on whether rising marijuana use is causing an increase in car crashes in states that have legalized the drug."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/06/26/what-marijuana-legalization-did-to-car-accide...

"Cannabis and schizophrenia: New evidence unveiled"

The nature of the relationship between cannabis and psychiatric disorders has been hotly debated for decades. A new study, using genetically modified mice, adds more fuel to an already blistering blaze.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/317170.php

Cannabis and permanent brain damage?

The results of investigations may vary, but here's a long reading list to help show that your claim re "permanent brain damage" is a little more complicated than you might imagine.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=cannabis+and+brain+damage&t=ffnt&atb=v48-7__&ia=web

Social and economic consequences of the legalisation of cannabis

"Believe it or not, there was no change in the number of marijuana users in Colorado between 2014 and 2015 after legalization of the sale of recreational cannabis went into effect. At least thatโ€™s what Coloradoโ€™s Retail Marijuana Public Advisory Committee reported in their latest research on the effects of marijuana on public health. They also found that calls to poison centers for exposure to marijuana and emergency room visits continue to fall. The State Department of Public Safety also reported that the number of marijuana arrests nearly halved, down by 46% between 2012 and 2014. Moreover, Colorado has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the country, and the legal marijuana industry has certainly helped by adding 18,000 new full-time jobs in 2015 according to the Marijuana Policy Group. Perhaps the most significant benefit to the state is tax receipts, as Colorado received $198.5 million in tax revenue last year from marijuana sales of $1.3 billion.

Bottom line, retail marijuana legalization has had its fair share of pros and cons in Colorado, but itโ€™s not been nearly as bad as critics had forecast."

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-03-13/legal-marijuanas-social-impact-colorado

and, cannabis is not an insidious weed; rather it has become a highly valued therapeutic agent as well as being lots of fun for those whom it suits. we surely can agree on this point . . . we could all do with a little more fun in our lives.

Message 26 of 27
Latest reply

Abstract

The role of cannabis and endocannabinoids in appetite regulation has been extensively studied, but the association of cannabis use with weight in the general population is not known. The authors used data from 2 representative epidemiologic studies of US adults aged 18 years or older, the National Epidemiologic Survey on Alcohol and Related Conditions (NESARC; 2001โ€“2002) and the National Comorbidity Surveyโ€“Replication (NCS-R; 2001โ€“2003), to estimate the prevalence of obesity as a function of cannabis use. The adjusted prevalences of obesity in the NESARC and the NCS-R were 22.0% and 25.3%, respectively, among participants reporting no use of cannabis in the past 12 months and 14.3% and 17.2%, respectively, among participants reporting the use of cannabis at least 3 days per week. These differences were not accounted for by tobacco smoking status. Additionally, after adjustment for sex and age, the use of cannabis was associated with body mass index differences in both samples. The authors conclude that the prevalence of obesity is lower in cannabis users than in nonusers.

https://academic.oup.com/aje/article/174/8/929/155851

I'll give you though that cannabis intoxication in the workplace must have an adverse effect on workplace safety.

many work-sites conduct random testing for a whole range of drugs including alcohol.

Message 27 of 27
Latest reply