Japanese Gift Wrapping/Speed Wrapping

imastawka
Honored Contributor

I know - too late.

But you've got all year to practise, and there are gift giving occasions all year.

I've tried hard previous years to do the cloth wrapping.

Younger members of the family frown on paper wrapping.

Wonder if Kopes can do it?

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

I actually really enjoyed that video. Years ago, I used to take a lot of time wrapping gifts, including adding ribbon and whatnot. Then I realised, unlike the Japanese, our culture is very much into just ripping the paper off and didn't really give a toss about the efforts I went to to wrap their gifts. Despite taking some effort, they were never as neat and precise as the Japanese! I did go through a phase of wrapping smaller gifts in tea towels. 

Packaging is very important to the Japanese. If something like a box of teabags has even the tiniest ding in the corner, it won't be bought. Years ago, my husband worked at the local Friskies pet food factory. He mostly worked the forklift. One night, 4 container loads of product was returned for repacking. It was cat food for the Japanese market. It was rejected when it arrived, because the blue in the cat's eyes was not the right shade of blue. It was meant to be 2 shades lighter. 

The packaging was all in Japanese, but the English translation of what was on the packet was "Fortunate Companion". That tickled me.

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Your post brought back memories.

When I was young, we always unwrapped gifts carefully as mum collected trhe paper, removed the sticky tape and stored the paper in the closet, to be reused.

None of that nowadays, people just tear it off and into the bin it goes.

When I was young, at Christmas we put out a pillow case. None of the presents from 'Father Christmas' (none of this Santa business back then!) were ever wrapped at all. They were in the pillow case.

Only presents from one person to another were wrapped.

I only saw the start of the video but what I noticed is the paper was exactly the right size. for the parcel.  A big part of the slog with wrapping is getting the paper size right.

I'm not into expensive paper. I love the look of it, just can't see the value.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

If someone gave me gifts wrapped in that beautiful way, I promise I’d be extremely appreciative!

I think it’s part of a culture or perspective that values the personal touch and a degree of thoughtfulness into bestowal of gifts.

Receiving gifts delights me, unless the gift is generic and represents no musing on my tastes and character and personality. I’m always happy to jot down a list of present suggestions; I always appreciate similar lists from others to help me in choosing gifts that I give. I love giving gifts as much as I love receiving them.

Even better… just getting to know people and talk with them about their interests and hobbies and so on… Time spent well, time appreciating each other.

Then the wrapping of gifts is the final delightful touch.

I do believe we have too consumer-oriented an approach to gift-giving. If we have any talents or skills that can create a gift, that is (in my view) incredibly special. 

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

Ah - memories.

This thread reminded me of this - I purchased it in San Francisco - 2013 - and had totally forgotten about it.

There are two edged cloths - & - a set of handles.

One can make a ' carry bag ' - using thel handles - directions included.

A ' carry sack ' - without the handles.

Wrap various items - it even explains - how to wrap a watermelon. lol

The silver & green would make a great table runner.

20230108_145342.jpg20230108_145618.jpg

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Being a virgo I can appreciate the attention to detail.

Mum and I still save the wrapping paper for reuse, but everyone else we know just rips so I no longer put as much attention into wrapping as I used to. Why cast pearls ...

Went through a few years where all Mum's presents were wrapped in a scarf. Had to stop because she was drowning in scarves.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

One of my friends wraps a lot of gifts in plain brown paper. It actually looks really good as she often teams it with some ribbon in a sage or brown colour, and some greenery from the garden.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply