Medibank Private

I am a member of Medibank Private and I was wondering who else is and what are they going to do about it? I am also an Optus customer so I am waiting now for the 3rd one! Tia

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Medibank Private

bryzen
Community Member

I got a letter about the data breach from AHM yesterday.

I called and told them I have never been a member of AHM. They wouldn't discuss the letter unless I confirmed my identity by full name and d.o.b.

I told them I have been with my current health fund for about 30 years and that I was only ever with one other fund before them and it was not AHM.

I know they have my full name and posting address as the letter as addressed to me by my full name. I told them I wasn't comfortable providing d.o.b. as I was really just calling to enquire as to why thy had me on their files.

I asked them if they could tell me my birth month so I could know if they have my d.o.b. on record, but they would not.

After a couple of minutes where I outlined my reluctance to give my d.o.b. and them saying they could not progress the call unless I provided it I said the only way the could have my data was if AHM took over or merged with my previous health fund.  It was at this point that they asked me if that fund would be xxxxxx fund to which I corrected her with the correct full name of my previous fund.

So, AHM merged with my previous fund, a fund I have not been with for 30 years, and the AHM person I spoke with told me that government regulation required them to hold on to the data of previous members.  Unbelievable!!!!!

The good thing for me is that I did confirm my d.o.b. to find out what data was ‘stolen’ and it was only name, address and member ID number.  Nothing of any consequence as email and mobile phones were not around back then and and they did not have driver licence, passport or banking details and the Medicare card I had back then had long expired.

I asked what compensation they would offer me .  .  . to which she laughed.  I asked for maybe a mug or stubby holder and she still said no 😕

Message 12 of 14
Latest reply

Oooh, business opportunity!

Mugs and T-shirts emblazoned with the legend: “My Optus/Medibank/Telstra/etc data was stolen and posted on the dark web, and all I got was this mug/t-shirt.”

Message 13 of 14
Latest reply

So did I K1 - mine too was an interesting phone call.

Screenshot_20221216-092844_Chrome.jpg

My policy ended in 2003. lol

There are several - doing an investigation on class action.

Message 14 of 14
Latest reply