Mother's Day on the nose at Moonee Ponds

"What a disgrace!' Melbourne primary school bans Mother's Day - replacing it with International Families Day in the name of 'diversity'

• A Melbourne school is ditching the term 'Mother's Day' in the name of diversity
  • Moonee Ponds West Primary School will celebrate 'International Day of Families'
  • The school's principal sent a note to parents saying it would be 'more inclusive'

A Melbourne primary school is ditching Mother's Day celebrations for an 'International Day of Families' in the name of diversity.

Moonee Ponds West primary school, in Melbourne's inner west, announced it would 'not be holding a Mother's Day' in a newsletter sent out to parents last Friday.

The school's principal said it would be ditched for 'more inclusive' celebration.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4483650/Moonee-Ponds-primary-school-bans-Mother-s-Day.html

What's in the water in Victoria?

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Mother's Day on the nose at Moonee Ponds

I am surprised that they have not gone politically correct and called it Principal Carers Day.

I suppose that would make Father's Day Secondary Carer's Day.

Even 40 years ago when my girls were at school it was easy enough to include children whose mothers were no longer around for some reason....they aimed their cards and gifts at the person who was caring for them....grandmother, aunt, etc.

In one case one little girl used to give her father a card/gift on both Mother's and Father's Day as he was her only living close relative and sole carer.

Message 11 of 13
Latest reply

Smart Loving Child, ....What a Wonderful Role Model !!!!

Good job lyndal1838
Message 12 of 13
Latest reply

Yes, she was a lovely kid and I was always very happy for her to come home with my girls if her father was going to be late home....she lived just up the road from us.

She is in her late 40s now and still as thoughtful as she was all those years ago.

Another of the girls in my eldest daughter's class was living with her grandmother who was as active in the P & C as any of us younger mothers.  Nothing was too much trouble for her and she fronted up for canteen duty every week.  It was just accepted that the little girl made her cards and gifts for her grandmother....no-one even commented on it back then.

Message 13 of 13
Latest reply