Moving into COVID-Normal...? Preparing for a post-COVID world, or "Living with COVID-19"

We're not there yet. We're not yet at a stage where we can truly consider the world to have moved to COVID-normal. But we can see it on the horizon, and we can start to live in a way that is locally "living with COVID-19", barring any setbacks with more virulent or more infectious strains of SARS-CoV-2.

This is due to the vaccines that have been developed, approved, and administered in Australia and in many parts of the world.

If you read the thread State by State, Australia vs Elsewhere, in the age of COVID-19 and beyond, particularly in reference to the Australian CHO Prof. Paul Kelly's opinion piece, that article in the post to which I've linked raises some interesting points.

It brings to the forefront of my mind a perception that the deaths and adverse outcomes he mentions are not acceptable. In the same way, I do not consider any preventable deaths as acceptable. It may be a pragmatic reality that such deaths and adverse outcomes occur; however, there are simple things we can do to limit those outcomes.

I have been advocating for certain hygiene measures and air purification measures for some time. That has to step up now. Some of these measures cost absolutely nothing; some will require some financial outlay. But what is the cost of human life?

• We must keep up the hand hygiene, and pass on those lessons to the next generation and the generation beyond that. COST: negligible. (Soap and water; ~70% alcohol-containing hand sanitiser; alcohol wipes for doors, rails, high touch areas, to prevent transmission by fomites)
  • It would be a good idea always to have a P2/N95 mask with us in the event of having respiratory symptoms, or being in the presence of anyone with such symptoms. COST: negligible for close-fitting cloth masks  washed daily. Higher cost if using reusable P2/N95 masks, and higher still if using single-use P2/N95 masks. Highest cost if test-fitted. (For immunocompromised individuals or those in close contact with such individuals or working in medical/health care settings, such a cost is not only affordable, but justified.)
  • If we wear a mask (so, presumably in a risky setting) and in the course of doing so TOUCH OUR MASK, such as adjusting it, or even fleetingly coming into contact with the outside of the mask, we must as soon as possible sanitise our hands. Do not touch your eyes or your ear or anyone else or another surface before sanitising your hands. COST: nothing.
  • There are crowded or high density settings that are unnecessary and can be avoided; maintain social distancing if possible and if appropriate. In social friendly settings, once we can relax and get back to hugging people and shaking hands, there will always be a risk but that is part of the price of being social beings and enjoying human relationships. COST: nothing.
  • If we experience symptoms of illness, we must not have the attitude of soldiering on. We must STAY HOME, and get tested for COVID-19 if our symptoms are associated with those of COVID-19. COST: unknown. This may result in more sick days, but these sorts of things are the reason for us having sick days - not to "chuck a sickie" and hoof off to the cricket or the footie.
  • If we are unwell, we MUST NOT VISIT HOSPITALS or AGED CARE or ANY INDIVIDUAL WHO IS VULNERABLE TO INFECTION. This includes stomach upsets and diarrhoea. Hospitals have had signs up warning visitors of precisely this for many years, but visitors persistently disregard this or talk themselves out of caring. That can no longer happen. We must stay away if we have or have recently had those symptoms, or we run the risk of bringing severe sickness or worse to the people we love most. COST: nothing.
  • If you have visitors to your home, open up your windows. This will increase ventilation and lower the risk of transmission of airborne viruses. COST: nothing.
  • Get a good HEPA air purifier if this is affordable within your budget. COST: variable, but  you can certainly get a good quality air purifier for $500 or perhaps a little more. There are mobile air purifiers available so that you can move it to where you are, thus maximising its effectiveness. Make sure it is big enough for the area, otherwise it will not provide the required purification effectiveness.
  • Now that rapid antigen tests are available, they should be used in appropriate settings. They are not a substitute for a nasopharyngeal swab, but they have their uses.

We should attempt to make Australia a nation of healthy individuals, but this is an immense task. Being healthy and fit reduces risk factors, so it does make sense for us to optimise our state of fitness. COST: I could say "nothing", but the truth is that this is a magic health outcome that GPs and nutritionists have been trying to achieve for a very long time. Ah well, that's a discussion for another day.

All of these measures can only help us in this Delta-variant world if the great majority are vaccinated.

And... of course... we have a responsibility to make those vaccines available to each nation and each individual. If we don't help the poor, not only is that our moral shame but it is an ongoing risk to every single one of us.

Message 1 of 73
Latest reply
72 REPLIES 72

Moving into COVID-Normal...? Preparing for a post-COVID world, or "Living with COVID-19"

All this preoccupation with cleaning and sterilising and making surfaces and the air safe ignores one of the most important aspects of health and that is that the human body needs to be exposed to pathogens on a regular basis to build up our bodies natural immunity.

If we live in a sterile bubble, created by constant cleaning with harsh chemicals our immune system becomes weakened and we are much less able to stave off and manage infection when it does occur. ( as it inevitably will )

While the measures you propose may be needed for those who are particularly vulnerable such as in age care facilities and immune vulnerable people, for the vast majority of the population they may in fact be counter productive and further contribute to Australians becoming a weak, enfeebled population, cloistered and removed from the natural environment and unable to  handle such basic things as exposure to cold, rain, bacteria and other natural pathogens..

The vast majority of people need to go in the opposite direction and move away from the artificial environments we have created. Get outside more, exercise more, eat a more balanced, natural diet and get some sun and wind on their faces etc. ( and yes even get some real dirt on the hands occasionally )

This would be much more conducive to individuals staving off and managing infection than further locking ourselves away and " protecting " us from everything in the natural world. ie.  keeping us " safe " in our artificial bubbles. 

Message 2 of 73
Latest reply

LOL - back to the garden & the sun.

Pooch already done - 3klms walk by the lake.

Message 3 of 73
Latest reply

Have you perhaps misunderstood my point?

This is not about a sterile environment. None of what I’ve mentioned would result in that, anyway. There is no mention of avoiding dirt, sun, wind, outside, etc.

It isn’t about not allowing the immune system to recognise and fight from childhood on.

It isn’t about an artificial environment. Nothing in the above is about “harsh chemicals”.

It is about picking your battles and knowing your enemy.

Experiencing COVID-19 isn’t a rite of passage or a test after which we emerge stronger than ever. There is a lot more data to be collected and much of it concerns long COVID. We do not know this enemy well enough.

Side benefits: we may have eradicated a particular strain of flu altogether. (Not certain, but it’s looking promising.)

Basic hand hygiene is ignored by some who pooh-pooh such minimum measures… and cough etiquette ditto. Opening a window is not onerous. The hand hygiene is a measure not only for lowering transmission of respiratory diseases, but also various gastro illnesses which simply result in repeated and unpleasant episodes, not a building up of human strength.

As I said, “once we can relax and get back to hugging people and shaking hands, there will always be a risk but that is part of the price of being social beings and enjoying human relationships” – and I specifically finished with the point that we should work towards being a fit and healthy people with our activity and nutrition optimizing our bodies.

There is a balance between exposure risk and the body being trained to recognise and fight off an invader. Getting that balance right is not simple.

Anyway, good to have your perspective!

Message 4 of 73
Latest reply

As usual the perspective is a bridge too far. 

Message 5 of 73
Latest reply

No I dont think I missed your point. I just dont agree with it.

" Experiencing COVID-19 isn’t a rite of passage or a test after which we emerge stronger than ever. "

My point is that many here are ignoring the very simple fact that the vaccination will not prevent you from contracting the illness ( although it will reduce the chances of this occurring ) and it will not stop you and others from transmitting the virus to others. ( again it will reduce this risk, but not stop it )...........Yes that one again sorry.

Putting aside all of the other debates on other threads ( continue those discussions there if you want ) and directing this fact to this at this particular thread .............

Dr. Megan Belot, President of the Rural Doctors association in a COVID piece imploring people to get vaccinated ( published in the weekly Times a fortnight ago ) said exactly the same thing I have been saying for months. Her opening line to the article was " All of us are going to get COVID at some point "  after which she went on to explain how the vaccine greatly reduced the chances of adverse outcomes.

So if she is correct, the important thing is how well our individual bodies are adjusted to cope with infection and how well the hospital system and medical treatments are adapted to assist us through. Scientists have announced in the last few days that they have a medication that has proven to be effective in assisting patients to recover quickly from COVID ( No I,m not entering that other debate ) and i,m sure further advances in medicine are on the way.

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/mercks-covid-19-pill-cuts-risk-death-hos... 

My point is we cant hide from this virus, we just need to manage it in the best way, once we are inevitably infected with it. And that means being as fit and healthy as possible, being vaccinated ( if you choose ) and having a strong immune system.

Message 6 of 73
Latest reply

It boils down to simply good personal & home environment - hygeine.

Nothing overboard - including - diet - sunshine - excercise.

These should actually have predated Covid. 

Message 7 of 73
Latest reply

@domino-710 wrote:

It boils down to simply good personal & home environment - hygeine.

Nothing overboard - including - diet - sunshine - excercise.

These should actually have predated Covid. 

Nice we can agree on something.

My main points of contention with Countess's post was the pre-occupation with sterilising everything and the idea that homes and offices should be fitted with expensive air purifiers. 

Our food and water is homogenized and pasteurized  to within an inch of its life. Our homes are made of artificial cement sheet and plasterboard, our paths are made of bitumen or concrete and bare dirt is covered in lawn or pavers. Our offices are temperature controlled boxes with synthetic carpets and artificial light. The idea that now even the air we breath needs to be filtered and purified of harmful organisms in the home and office is a major step backwards.

We need to get back closer to the natural environment, not move even further away from it. We need to understand that the healthiest state both for our immune system and our mental health is one that embraces nature and natural systems, rather than constantly fighting against nature and hiding from it.

Sure it does'nt hurt to have good basic hygiene such as hand washing etc. and opening a window is great, but it also involves accepting that at times we will become ill and living a lifestyle that best allows our bodies natural defences to manage illness.

Its all about building resilience. Now there's a word you dont ever see used on the forums !  Air purifiers dont build resilience.

Message 8 of 73
Latest reply

You preach about the ' masses ' - continually - and that which you perceive them to be doing - wrong.

From my experience - and no I do not live nor visit a remote farm - with those surrounding me - all live a very healthy lifestyle.

I'm not sure you even realise that with all the dreadfulness surrounding Covid - a lot of good has come from the professional advice given & taken.

No-one has been near an office - with it's temp controlled boxes, synthetic carpet, artifial light etc - most have been working from home - and will continue to do so - far into the future.

Most businesses - are looking at only 60% of office time - maybe 2-3 days a week.

This has allowed most to actually get in the exercise - the time outdoors - the ability to make and eat a healthy lunch etc.

Perhaps you should take your own advice - move from the city - to your remote farm - and cease treating others as imbeciles.

Message 9 of 73
Latest reply

I live in a large regional center for family reasons, not by choice. Luckily I have parks adjoining and a large block overlooking a river reserve, making it a bit more bearable. 

I,m well aware that many have moved from the office to work from home. Many are moving from the Eastern seaboard and buying up the land around my South Australian near city farm, pushing the council valuation up by 45% in 12 months.   😉

I also have a couple of reli's who have embraced the new work from home lifestyle and are absolutely loving it and looking better for the change. 

This is simply confirmation that what I,m proposing works.

There have been many structural changes that have come from COVID. Some good, some not so good. The trend for people to move away from the city to be closer to nature and live a healthier lifestyle is one of the major positives.

Message 10 of 73
Latest reply