Pet industry should be shut down

Of the 131,525 animals received nationally by the RSPCA for the 2011-2012 financial year, 49,688 had to be euthanised based on infectious, medical, behavioural, legal and other circumstances.

It is estimated that local councils shoot about the same number.

Animal shelter figures are harder to come by.

At least 150,000 animals slaughtered all in the name of companionship each year in Australia.

Roaming cats continue to be blooded using our natural wildlife as live baits........ many many many of them eat rats

and mice  alive while others keep the same tortured animals ie. rats and mice as pets.

The companion animal industry needs to be closed down .....shame shame shame......

Tarring all pet owners with the same brush...... How does that feel???

atheism is a non prophet organization
Message 1 of 102
Latest reply
101 REPLIES 101

Re: Pet industry should be shut down

it doesnt cost anything to be a decent human and take that dog or cat/kitten you cant 'deal' with to an apropriate place, animal welfare legue, ect.

decent people dont just dump fluffy or bonza because they have difficulty with him or her. 

decent people try to rehome them or take them to the raspca ect.

the people who dump unwanted pets are scum

Message 61 of 102
Latest reply

Do you actually have any evidence of how many animals are just dumped - I mean taken somewhere far away and left on the road?  I now now and then somebody finds box of kittens somewhere, but since all animals have to be microchipped before they are registered with the council and the council does go door to door and checks on animal registration, my guess would be that the number that are not registered and not microchipped is quite small.

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 62 of 102
Latest reply

you keep going on about how microchipping has fixed the problem.

i dont know where you live but australia is a very big area.

south australia, where i live, only passed a microchipping/desexing law 2 weeks ago.

it doesnt come into effect for 12 months.

are you sure that microchipping/desexing is everywhere? i'm absolutly sure its not.

can you gaurantee every animal is being microchipped and desexed? i'll bet they are not and its not being policed properly.

ive allready said i found 3 very small kittens dumped near my home just a few months ago.

no, i didnt take them someplace and redump them. i took them to a local rescue organisation.

i'm also sure if you ring your nearest animal rescue organisation they could give you some evedence of how much 'dumping' is still going on.

Message 63 of 102
Latest reply

Of-course, microchipping isnt going to fix everything, but nobody in their right mind is going to dump microchipped animal.  I am not sure what rules are state and what nation wide, but here in Victoria all dogs sold by petshop and registered breeders have to be microchipped.  I am not sure when it became the kennel control rule that pups are not registered unless they are microchipped, but it is now at least 5 years ago; I was chipping mine  for at least 15 years, so I did not pay much attention when it was being announced.

These laws are complicated and multilayered.  The municipality I am in had the compulsory microchip and desex rule for number of years, other councils had different rules, other states and municipalities have different  rules yet again. 

And yes, there will always be some people who just ignore all rules a laws.  So, because of the handful of these people who dump kittens maybe we should ban pets altogether?

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 64 of 102
Latest reply

Microchipping became compulsory in NSW in 1998 although cats more than 10 years old did not have to be chipped and registered till a bit later (not sure when it became compulsory).

Some states are very slow in these sorts of things.

Message 65 of 102
Latest reply

Rolled My Eyes.jpg

Message 66 of 102
Latest reply

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/animals/truth-about-cats-and-dogs-250000-killed-every-year-2010060...

June 6 2010
  • Rachel Browne

MORE than a quarter of a million healthy cats and dogs are destroyed in Australia every year because there are not enough homes for them.

Behind the numbers there is a vicious debate about the oversupply of animals and what can be done to tackle the problem.

Message 67 of 102
Latest reply

looks better next to that other animal cruelty thread

Message 69 of 102
Latest reply

Message 70 of 102
Latest reply