Plastic bag bans: Here's how the alternatives stack up

Plastic bag bans: Here's how the alternatives stack up

http://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2018-06-20/plastic-bag-ban-options/9874474

Message 1 of 62
Latest reply
61 REPLIES 61

Re: Plastic bag bans: Here's how the alternatives stack up

i think the authoritys should go after packaging that doesnt go in the recycle bin first, like polysteyrene foam, if they cant recycle it then ban it.

Message 21 of 62
Latest reply

Polystrene is a horrible product,  I would like to see it totally banned

Message 22 of 62
Latest reply

Woolworths has today announced a major backflip on the plastic bag ban it put in placin its stores across the country, saying it will now give away free reusable bags to its customers.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/2018/06/29/10/11/woolworths-plastic-bag-ban-backflip-free-reusable...

image host
Message 23 of 62
Latest reply

@kopenhagen5 wrote:

Woolworths has today announced a major backflip on the plastic bag ban it put in placin its stores across the country, saying it will now give away free reusable bags to its customers.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/2018/06/29/10/11/woolworths-plastic-bag-ban-backflip-free-reusable...

first of all, i absolutly agree the whole removal of the 'free' bags they were using to put your shopping in when you went through the chackout is nothing more than a comercial operation.

the vast majority of regular shoppers were reusing those bags to put their houshold rubbish in before carting it out to our big bins outside. in my view.

now we buy rubbish bags to do the same job.

secondly, whats with the east coast? south australia switched to the 'cloth' bags years ago and within weeks we had it figured out.

going shopping take your bags, yes my car has a dozen or more bags on the back seat.

its not rocket surgury folks!

thirdly, will it save the planet......NO, it wont make any REAL difference.

the 'cloth' bags are worse than the free ones when they get into the enviroment but they dont tell us that do they?

so, lets get back to saving the planet huh, get rid of non recyclable plastics first and bloomin well recycle the stuff that can be.

go back to glass for coke bottles and milk bottles ect. glass can be recycled over and over. even if its damaged!

polystyrene, ban it, its really a bad product.

Message 24 of 62
Latest reply

Rocket surgury?

Rocket surgery?

Or rocket science maybe.  Ha!! 

Interesting that whatever is used at checkout will have no bearing on the fruit and vegetable department - Coles tell me on questioning today that I will will still be picking out my tomatoes, fruit etc and putting them in a plastic bag. 

Perhaps we should be putting all those products in the mushroom paper bags - just to make a point.

Message 25 of 62
Latest reply

Think that's a play on Brain surgeon and Rocket scientist, but you prob know that.

Perhaps we should be putting all those products in the mushroom paper bags - just to make a point.

Good idea, except we might pay 11.99kg for our 3.99kg tomatoes. Smiley Wink

image host
Message 26 of 62
Latest reply

yup, rocket surgury/ brain science mish mash

oh, and then we will find out those paperpage, not made from recycled paper but by cutting down lovey new trees. cos its cheaper that way.

Message 27 of 62
Latest reply

Thumbs down animated emoticon

https://au.news.yahoo.com/man-not-allowed-use-reusable-bag-woolworths-rival-logo-063751820.html

We were at Woolies yesterday and took our Aldi bags for them to pack items in.

Cash register guy didn't say anything, if he had, I was going to ask him if a clothing shop would deny him service

if he entered the store wearing his Woolworths uniform. Smiley Very Happy

Wife said we should buy some Woolies bags to use at Coles. Smiley LOL

And......

https://au.news.yahoo.com/new-bags-useless-torn-breaking-reusable-bags-slammed-woolies-shoppers-0622...

Message 28 of 62
Latest reply

Who would have thought that the use/non use of the humble plastic could create so much chaos and confusion.  For what I understand in SA, they simple chose a date on that date, the whole of state went bag free ( wonder how many nervous breakdown it caused? )

I live in Vic but have shopped in The Mount many times, since SA went bag free, it didn't seem to cause me any probs

Message 29 of 62
Latest reply

Our new reusable bags are made from at least 80% recycled plastic, they’re stronger than single-use plastic bags and can be recycled at the end of their use, which will help reduce the impact on the environment,” it said in a statement.

Isn't that similar to their other single use bags which could be recycled by returning them to the store and put

into the red bins,(I knew a store that 2 of those bins to start with,reduced it to one and then "hid" the bin and

people ended up taken them back home and most of them got chucked or taken to the Op shop).

The Op shops made then have to ask that people bring in their own bags and have someone check them on

the way out.

Next thing will be that the garbage bag price will go up due to demand and they'll come up with some excuse to

say that they wish there was a better alternative for the environment,(whilst raking in the profit from the "new"

bags).Angry head bang.gif

In the end that's what it's all about,(they used to have to buy bags to give away for free and now the customer

has to pay for their own or buy one of their over priced ones).

Which adds up to more profit for them,stubborn_smiley_by_mirz123-d4bt0te_zps12f1a5a3.gif

Message 30 of 62
Latest reply