Q for Martini.... or anyone who knows colours

gleee58
Community Member

We got tiles for the bathroom that were on sale at a hardware store that was closing. It was only after they were attached to the walls that it became apparent that they are not an exact colour match.  They are the same tiles, with a subtle difference. One lot has a slight grey tinge while the other looks more cream. 

The question is what colour paint would be best to avoid emphasising the difference?

They're large white tiles with a slight marble effect.  White paints seem to highlight the difference.  

Message 1 of 33
Latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Re: Q for Martini.... or anyone who knows colours

White is never dated.  Aqua comes and goes.

Joono
Message 21 of 33
Latest reply

I forgot to add that I think the colour of the paint ought to be a silvery grey- really pale...aqua could look quite harsh, and patchwork(y) if the whole tile is painted...

(not that theres anything wrong with patchwork, but as a quilt lol)

do you think this might work?

stencil.jpg

Message 22 of 33
Latest reply

@youcandoityoucandoityoucandoit wrote:

I forgot to add that I think the colour of the paint ought to be a silvery grey- really pale...aqua could look quite harsh, and patchwork(y) if the whole tile is painted...

(not that theres anything wrong with patchwork, but as a quilt lol)

do you think this might work?

stencil.jpg

No, I'm not painting the tiles, just the wall sections that are not tiled.  I was going to go white because the room is so small until I discovered the whites all seem to emphasise the colour variation. I'll get colour chips of the darker taupes and the warmer aquas and see how they look.  Against the raw villaboard sheets it's hardly noticeable.

Message 23 of 33
Latest reply

Ahh, Ive got you! 

I think your approach is good, warm is good- and you can get a fistfull of those colour swatches..sorry I misunderstood.Woman Happy

Message 24 of 33
Latest reply

I'd still want to do wallpaper. But if it has to be paint, then choosing a colour isn't going to work. Particularly a strong colour.

Grey is the only option because it can look both warm and cool at the same time plus it will pick up on the grey marle in the tile so the focus will be away from the white hopefully.

But it can't be this kind of grey:

grey bathroom no.jpg      

It needs to be this kind of grey:

grey bathroom 1.jpg

Message 25 of 33
Latest reply

Know I am always a great help Glee.

Really - really - really - low lighting.

Robot Frustrated

Message 26 of 33
Latest reply

how are the mismatched tiles distributed?

do you have one colour at the bottom, top

or are they random?

Message 27 of 33
Latest reply

@i-need-a-martini wrote:

I'd still want to do wallpaper. But if it has to be paint, then choosing a colour isn't going to work. Particularly a strong colour.

Grey is the only option because it can look both warm and cool at the same time plus it will pick up on the grey marle in the tile so the focus will be away from the white hopefully.

But it can't be this kind of grey:

grey bathroom no.jpg      

It needs to be this kind of grey:

grey bathroom 1.jpg

I agree. Grey is really the only option. It would pick out the grey in the tiles, as martini said in an earlier post.I would probably go a few shades lighter than in the pic, but that's a personal option.

Message 28 of 33
Latest reply

So how did we end up?

Message 29 of 33
Latest reply

Curled up, rocking and sobbing in the corner, I suspect

Message 30 of 33
Latest reply