Scam calls

anyone else getting an increase in obvious indian calls from telstra?

ive had 4 in 3 days!

i had Ally Smith today. thats the name she gave when i asked for her full name as i told her i was going to ring telstra to see if she really worked for them.

then the line went dead! LOL

Message 1 of 37
Latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Scam calls

I still get the occasional call -

"This is Telstra security, we have detected a virus over the internet on your computer"

Really ?

"Yes and it is going to destroy everything on your computer"

We don't have a computer ?

KLUNK.

True we don't have a PC, only laptops. Hehehehe. Smiley Wink

image host
Message 2 of 37
Latest reply

Scam calls

I used to get that quite a bit

One day (I was in a filthy mood anyway before the call) they rang and gave the same story

I put on the most distressed voice I could and said something along the lines of "thank God,they've hacked everything and I have a police officer here with me now,taking details,I best put you on to him so you can let him know what you've found"

That was the last time I heard from the sod

Message 3 of 37
Latest reply

Scam calls

just as i was getting my dinner cooking i got another call, as soon as he began reading his prepared lines i put the phone next to the tv speaker so he could listen to tonights episode of doctor who.

when i picked the phone up after less than a minute he was gone!

i thought all techie guys were into doctor who.

guess not

Message 4 of 37
Latest reply

Scam calls

Every 2nd day i'm getting calls claiming they are calling in regard to

the Federal Government solar rebate. I normally let them go through

to the answering machine *click* I have their phone numbers written

down and know when it's them. The last time they rang I answered and

notified them the call was being recorded for a complaint lodgement he

stayed on the line I asked did he understand and he said yes - I then told him

not to ring here again. So far so good lol

Message 5 of 37
Latest reply

Scam calls

My  sister had the same type of phone call regarding a virus on the computer.

She kept asking the caller exactly which computer he was talking about... at the time there was one desk top. one lap top and at least 3 if not 4  IPads in the house.

She kept at him and at him until he admitted defeat and hung up.

Message 6 of 37
Latest reply

Scam calls

I get quite a lot of the solar panel / LED downlight / Government incentive ones at my place of employ - many use auto-dialers, which are usually pretty easy to pick: the auto-dialler calls a number - if there's no answer, it disconnects and dials the next number on the list, continuing until one answers. As soon someone answers, the auto-dialler connects the call to one of the call centre people / scammers.

At my end, I pick up the phone and answer with "Good afternoon, (insert company name here), Fred speaking" - then there's a full second or so of dead silence as the auto-dialler regsiters that there's someone live at my end and transfers the call, then a little burst of noise, followed by the usual heavily-accented voice.

I've now gotten so used to it that as soon as I hear the silence, I wait for the burst of noise, and hang up.

The Telstra ones are easier - I usually go along with them and play non-comprehending, or serve up a truly offensive insult. Hours of fun!

Message 7 of 37
Latest reply

Scam calls

@whiznumber6 wrote:

I get quite a lot of the solar panel / LED downlight / Government incentive ones at my place of employ - many use auto-dialers, which are usually pretty easy to pick: the auto-dialler calls a number - if there's no answer, it disconnects and dials the next number on the list, continuing until one answers. As soon someone answers, the auto-dialler connects the call to one of the call centre people / scammers.

At my end, I pick up the phone and answer with "Good afternoon, (insert company name here), Fred speaking" - then there's a full second or so of dead silence as the auto-dialler regsiters that there's someone live at my end and transfers the call, then a little burst of noise, followed by the usual heavily-accented voice.

I've now gotten so used to it that as soon as I hear the silence, I wait for the burst of noise, and hang up.

The Telstra ones are easier - I usually go along with them and play non-comprehending, or serve up a truly offensive insult. Hours of fun!

the ones where you can hear clearly multiple other "help line people' in the background all saying the same carp to other poor souls who have said 'hello' are the funniest.

sometimes the many background scammers are so noisy you can't even hear the one who starts yakking to you and you gotta keep saying 'what?, what?, what?'

but, it the ever long list of names you get that sound american/english/aussie and in a very strong indian acent that make me laugh.

Message 8 of 37
Latest reply

Scam calls

2more telstra calls today, now my routers have problems!

my routers are rooted i guess

i let them listen to talkback radio whilst i started my computer, which took a very long time.

when i picked up the phone they had gone!

must have fixed the problem as my internets fine now

Message 9 of 37
Latest reply

Scam calls

David, daughter tells them she works from home and charges $100 an hour.

And then asks them for their credit card number.

They hang up PDQ

Message 10 of 37
Latest reply