Silent war

Wow, just... wow.

I saw this news online.

‘Silent civil war’: Irish teacher jailed for refusing to call boy a girl (msn.com)

This teacher has not only lost his job but is jailed indefinitely for failing to comply and call a boy a girl. Or use the term 'they'.

I particularly dislike the term 'they' for one person as the term is plural. The word 'it' would be more appropriate, in fact, or if someone is really uncomfortable, just call the child by name.

But the part that resonates with me is further down in the report, where it says that we are at the stage of compelling people to say things they don't believe in.

I'm not arguing the rights or wrongs of someone 'transitioning'.

Just saying we should allow people their personal beliefs. Calling the child by name or 'him' is not a crime worth jailing anyone for, it is a travesty of justice.

Message 1 of 71
Latest reply
70 REPLIES 70

Re: Silent war

On the 18th Dec 2023 myo quoted: https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/enoch-burke-to-remain-in-prison-for-christmas-after-refusing-to-...

Have you read it?

Teacher is in prison for contempt of court.....full stop.

Message 51 of 71
Latest reply

LOL...........................................

Message 52 of 71
Latest reply

@twyngwyn wrote:

On the 18th Dec 2023 myo quoted: https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/enoch-burke-to-remain-in-prison-for-christmas-after-refusing-to-...

Have you read it?

But, but as 4C said... "maybe the teacher thought it was a kangaroo court"... lol

Message 53 of 71
Latest reply

@repentatleisure1952 wrote:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@twyngwyn wrote:

Have you read it?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But, but as 4C said... "maybe the teacher thought it was a kangaroo court"... lol

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not the only one here on this thread that is surprised this teacher was jailed. If I was in his shoes I'd be wondering at the waste of time and resources to bring it to that stage.

Here we have a teacher who for the whole of his life has viewed a boy as a boy and a girl as a girl.

Below are two quick grabs on a search. Both give a perspective on what we have at hand.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What Are the 72 Other Genders?
What is a gender identity?

Medical Author: Shaziya Allarakha, MD
Medical Reviewer: Pallavi Suyog Uttekar, MD

Medically Reviewed on 2/2/2022

In today’s age, one does not need to fit in with regards to their choices, including their gender identity.

Gender is no more regarded as a binary concept where one can either be a male or a female.
It has emerged as a continuum or spectrum where one can identify themselves as any of the gender identities.

The term gender identity means how a person identifies themselves concerning their gender. It may be regardless of their anatomy or genetics. Thus, a person may identify themselves as male, female, none, both, or some other category independent of their genitals.

The idea is to make everyone feel comfortable in their skin irrespective of what gender they were assigned at birth.

https://www.medicinenet.com/what_are_the_72_other_genders/article.htm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
How Did We Get To This Gender-Confused Place?

By Jeff Johnston

September 26, 2023

Gender confusion is rampant and the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender activist movement has affected religion, pop culture, education, business and politics. “Sexual orientation” and “gender identity” are now privileged over privacy, safety and freedom.

Recently, a friend told me she was at the Denver International Airport and intended to use the women’s restroom. Before she could enter, she watched a man walk in ahead of her. Another woman walked out of the bathroom, and both women together looked at the sign, clearly marked “Women,” and then each other. They shook their heads and wondered, “What just happened?”

What both women didn’t realize was Colorado has a law, SB-200, making it discriminatory and unlawful for public accommodations to be withheld from a person based on “sexual orientation.” This law also includes “transgender status or another person’s perception thereof” under its definition of “sexual orientation.”

https://www.focusonthefamily.com/get-help/how-did-we-get-to-this-gender-confused-place/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I've said we should respect other people's choices and as long as they're not impacting on others then they should be left to do their thing. Whether we agree with it or not, it's up to them.  But, if we're heading to a place where we are punished for calling a boy a boy and a girl a girl then that's some kind of fascism.  Like I said previously, I have zero tolerance for racism. But for a long time here in Australia, it has been open season to demonize and attack immigrants who don't fit into what some people think a traditional Aussie should be. Yet the greater majority of these people from the Middle East, Africa, Asia etc. are the hardest working, decent and respectful people that anyone could ask for. So things are a bit unbalanced when someone questions where we are heading, express their concern about what children are being influenced by and have to now tiptoe around through an obstacle course for fear of getting condemned just for saying "He" and She" when it comes to a boy or girl. But yet, people get away with inciting racial hatred. That's a huge disparity. It just doesn't make sense!

I'll never set out to offend anyone who wants to dress up as a woman or visa versa, but I feel we're heading to a bad place and the misuse of the law to make an example of this teacher and possible humiliate him for being "old school" or "just an average everyday man" is just plain wrong!

Message 54 of 71
Latest reply

What - still don't understand ' Contempt of Court ' .

Message 55 of 71
Latest reply

Will it be an offence one day to tell a boy that he will grow up and get married to a woman?  And to say to a girl she'll meet a nice man and have a family?

Message 56 of 71
Latest reply

Is it an offence today for a very nice young man to meet another very nice man - and marry.

Is it an offence today for a very nice young woman to meet another very nice young woman - and marry.

Just to add - given I am a parent - I have never once said ' you will grow up ' and get married.

Message 57 of 71
Latest reply

kermit2023
Community Member

From research: 

Enoch Burke has undergraduate degrees in History and Theology, a MA in Education, written a book titled The Hedonism and Homosexuality of John Piper and Sam Allberry, which criticised the teachings of the American theologians.

Enoch had been a teacher at Wilson’s Hospital School for 10yrs before losing his job in January 2023.

He was raised by deeply religious parents in Ireland.

Before his issue with the school arose, the family had protested against Covid lockdown restrictions, same-sex marriage and abortion rights.

Enoch Burke told the head teacher Niamh McShane and deputy head teacher John Galligan that he was ‘opposed to trangenderism’ as a result of his religion.

In January 2023, he was officially dismissed from his role at the school for intimidating and harassing a colleague and breaching the confidence of the child who was in the process of transitioning.

My 2 cents.

This has nothing to do with racism, so we don’t need to keep bringing it up.

….but everything to do with gender and one man’s moral and ethical values and his right to stand by them. And because he refuses to go against his own values, he was put on paid leave by the school, to which he refused and continued to attend his employment. Then the school had him charged, consequently sacked, sued and now he sits in prison all because he stood up for himself and his religious based beliefs. Oh, and he refused to call a boy, a girl! And that’s the crux of it! 
Yet, I have to assume the same court would have made him swear on the bible, no doubt! How ironic! 

The ‘contempt of court’ only came about because he failed to adhere to the court order to stay away from the school. He remains in jail and claims he is being persecuted because of his faith. (I kind of agree with this part, but I don’t agree with other actions he took before ending up in court)

So I have to wonder… at what point don’t we have the right to stand by our beliefs, our moral standings on what we hold deep belief in? Is one’s  faith or religion not a valid reason? 
Where do we draw the line and why isn’t that line  the same for everyone in every single profession? 
At what point does ‘going to far’ actually become ‘to far’? 
This teacher is a practicing Christian. Being employed for 10yrs at the same school, surely that has to account for something. (apparently not!)
I haven’t been able to find any info regarding previous conflicts with his during those 10yrs at that school, so I take from that there hasn’t been any. 
One teenager has been the integral cog in the wheel that started it spinning and this wheel has spun way way way out of control! It’s utter madness. 

If you want to be a boy, then be a boy.

If you want to be a girl, then be a girl.….but don’t demand the world accepts you! 

It’s utter madness. 

Message 58 of 71
Latest reply

OK - now it's time to do a little research into his employment.

Core Values

The Core Values of Wilson's Hospital School are characterised as comprising of:

• Faith: Living out the life-changing implications of a belief in the Divine, the person of Jesus Christ and recognises that every person is made in the image and likeness of God; conveying the reassurance and stability of Christian values in the life of the believer.
  • Excellence: Striving to ensure that standards of teaching and the delivery of the curriculum is at the highest level of quality. Pursuing high standards in all things.
  • Justice: Looking for fairness in our dealings with others, seeking to order our lives and the world around us in a context of equality for all people and to address unjust imbalances of power. To embrace compassion for our fellow human beings and to do all we can to make ourselves, our communities and our society conscious of the necessity for compassion, the cause of right and truth.
  • Reflexivity: Open to continually being self-reflective, combatting our own biases, desires and motivations and engaging with pluralism of thought.
  • Affirming: Conscious of the importance of affirming to all students and staff that they are valued, supported and loved. That they are unique in themselves, are entitled to live their own lives and not to be judged by any external standards, other than how we all engage with those around them and the world.
  • Caring: Focusing on the experience of the young person to ensure that their experience of their time in school is accepting, happy and positive.
  • Community: Enjoying the strength from membership of a community and the identity arising from strong tradition.

And :

1. As a boarding and day school for members of the Church of Ireland, allowing that students of other denominations may be admitted according to an enrolment policy which allows preference of admission for members of the Church of Ireland and which ensures that a clear majority of the students of the school are members of the Church of Ireland, and that a clear majority of the students of the school are boarders.

In a Court of Law one has the choice of ' Taking an Oath ' ( swearing on the Bible ) - or - ' Making a Declaration '.

An atheist swearing on the Bible has the opportunity to lie his head off.

Message 59 of 71
Latest reply

Thank you dom.

I'll get more popcorn.

Message 60 of 71
Latest reply