South Australia's user tax on electric vehicles is so wrong and indicates stupidity or worse?

Crazy.

“First in world:” South Australia to impose road user tax on electric vehicles

Just a week after unveiling an electric vehicle transition plan for its government fleet and more charging infrastructure, the South Australia Liberal government has shocked the EV sector by announing a road user charge will be imposed on electric vehicles in 2021.

The news came in the South Australia state budget delivered by Treasurer Rob Lucas on Tuesday, and it means the state will become the first in Australia to impose such charges, and the only jurisdiction on the planet – according to EV advocates – to impose such penalties on EV owners while providing no other incentives to purchase.

More below

https://thedriven.io/2020/11/11/south-australia-to-impose-road-user-tax-on-electric-vehicles-from-20...

Clean energy is what we should all be chasing and embracing. Are they allergic to the word exemption?

This just sends the wrong message to people when we need to change our thinking to get to a better cleaner mode of transport and harm the environment less..

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: South Australia's user tax on electric vehicles is so wrong and indicates stupidity or worse?

from what i can find we (aussies) pay about 42 cents in the dollar as tax on fuel

i grew up being told this tax was to pay for road and such repair and construction, its original intention.

but at some point govt redirected this money into 'general revenue'

so gradually less and less went to the roads and more and more into 'other stuff'

its no surprise the SA govt are going after the EV market, but its a wee bit premature as the market is almost non existent.

it certainly wont make EVs more attractive to buyers

i have problems with this great big NEW tax on serveal fronts

the SA govt just last week anounced their electric car initiative, then this week do this? pretty dumb

this govt is a LIBERAL govt, the guys who warn us not to vote labor because they are the tax party

looks to me from this latest 'budget' the libs are the bix tax party.

BTW lets not forget last time these guys were in power 17 years ago the sold off ETSA (electricity) after going to an election promising they would NOT sell ETSA

they promised selling ETSA would deliver cheaper power, it didnt.

there is something else but i cant recall it right now but it will come to me.

Message 11 of 20
Latest reply

Re: South Australia's user tax on electric vehicles is so wrong and indicates stupidity or worse?

oh yes, now i remember, this govt wants to be able to turn off my solar cells on my roof at anytime it suits them

Message 12 of 20
Latest reply

@bidicus*maximus wrote:

@4channel wrote:

Money will easily be found  to look after the roads.

Things must be far different there than they are here... around here money is never, "easily found".

People who pollute less should be rewarded as well.

I'd heard that goodness is it's own reward... 

There are many people who use pushbikes on the roads. Should they be taxed as well?

If they've been taxed up to now, I'd say, "yes"... otherwise I'll go with, "no"...

@4channel writes:

Well goodness is a reward but to achieve that, an incentive should be there to get the potentially  good flock doing it.

Well about the US and taxes and where money should be going but doesn't, well I believe that's a major issue. Some years back I watched a documentary by a chap called Aaron Russo . The name of the documentary was America: Freedom to Fascism .  It was quite a good film. I think it was the one I got from the video store or maybe watched at a friend's place, Well, watching it  opened my eyes to a few things,. That's right, it had Ron Paul in it.  Well, it put forward a good case for investigation. Apparently  taxes in the US aren't going to where the people think they should be. And Makia Freeman's article "Federal Income Tax Only Pays Off Debt and Does Not Contribute to Government... gives a good account what really goes on with the Fed. Anyway, after watching the film, I went looking for independent info. I came across clips of Ron Paul and Bernie Sanders questioning things with Ben Bernanke refusing to disclose info in relation to valid questions. Bernanke reminded me of a wet bar of soap during a game of football in a prison shower.

It kind of makes you wonder what else goes on while hidden in plain sight. Welll, here in Australia we also need to keep things in check. We had a prime minister that was demonised for wanting to add more  tax to the mining companies and I recall a sleazy media campaign against him.

Message 13 of 20
Latest reply

@4channel wrote:

Crazy.

“First in world:” South Australia to impose road user tax on electric vehicles

Just a week after unveiling an electric vehicle transition plan for its government fleet and more charging infrastructure, the South Australia Liberal government has shocked the EV sector by announing a road user charge will be imposed on electric vehicles in 2021.

The news came in the South Australia state budget delivered by Treasurer Rob Lucas on Tuesday, and it means the state will become the first in Australia to impose such charges, and the only jurisdiction on the planet – according to EV advocates – to impose such penalties on EV owners while providing no other incentives to purchase.

More below

https://thedriven.io/2020/11/11/south-australia-to-impose-road-user-tax-on-electric-vehicles-from-20...

Clean energy is what we should all be chasing and embracing. Are they allergic to the word exemption?

This just sends the wrong message to people when we need to change our thinking to get to a better cleaner mode of transport and harm the environment less..

i agree with the Govt in order to maintain funding levels for roads, however in order to encourage EV uptake maybe free reserved CBD city parking should be offered and free electricity top up while parked - of course limited spots for early adopters , as the vehicle become more popular....

Message 14 of 20
Latest reply

@kopenhagen5 wrote:

I think road taxes should be based on weight of vehicles with a reduction as an incentive for electric/hybrid vehicles.

Good in theory, but electric vehicles are usually significantly heavier than an equivalent-sized petrol-powered vehicle. As an example, a standard Holden VF Commodore had a listed kerb weight of 1688kg, where a Tesla Model S has a listed kerb weight of between 2215 and 2248 kg.

Therefore, they can be said to actually be doing more damage to the road surface than a lighter petrol-powered vehicle, and would attract a higher road tax, which the Powers That Be might condescend to lower to the petrol vehicle's rate as an "incentive".

They'll get you any way they can...

Message 15 of 20
Latest reply

@performance_parts_clearance_centre wrote:

@kopenhagen5 wrote:

I think road taxes should be based on weight of vehicles with a reduction as an incentive for electric/hybrid vehicles.

Good in theory, but electric vehicles are usually significantly heavier than an equivalent-sized petrol-powered vehicle. As an example, a standard Holden VF Commodore had a listed kerb weight of 1688kg, where a Tesla Model S has a listed kerb weight of between 2215 and 2248 kg.

Therefore, they can be said to actually be doing more damage to the road surface than a lighter petrol-powered vehicle, and would attract a higher road tax, which the Powers That Be might condescend to lower to the petrol vehicle's rate as an "incentive".

They'll get you any way they can...

But emission pollution reduction concession , noise pollution reduction concession 

Message 16 of 20
Latest reply

@davidc4430 wrote:

from what i can find we (aussies) pay about 42 cents in the dollar as tax on fuel

i grew up being told this tax was to pay for road and such repair and construction, its original intention.

but at some point govt redirected this money into 'general revenue'

so gradually less and less went to the roads and more and more into 'other stuff'

its no surprise the SA govt are going after the EV market, but its a wee bit premature as the market is almost non existent.

it certainly wont make EVs more attractive to buyers

i have problems with this great big NEW tax on serveal fronts

the SA govt just last week anounced their electric car initiative, then this week do this? pretty dumb

this govt is a LIBERAL govt, the guys who warn us not to vote labor because they are the tax party

looks to me from this latest 'budget' the libs are the bix tax party.

BTW lets not forget last time these guys were in power 17 years ago the sold off ETSA (electricity) after going to an election promising they would NOT sell ETSA

they promised selling ETSA would deliver cheaper power, it didnt.

there is something else but i cant recall it right now but it will come to me.

I can help you with that david, What you are trying to recall is the Liberal government HAD to sell of ETSA to pay off the 4 billion dollar debt accrued by the previous Labor government due to its stuff up of the State Bank. ( so a two year royal commission found )  Four billion might not sound much now, but at the time it nearly sent South Australia literally bankrupt.

Here's a wickapedia link to help jog your memory david......Man Wink

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_Bank_of_South_Australia 

Message 17 of 20
Latest reply

I suspect as electric cars become dominant the tax will be a combination of weight and usage ie km travelled reported by a " smart meter"  like house digital meters for electricity consumption - with auto debits for public parking , minor driving infractions , missed scheduled servicing etc 

Message 18 of 20
Latest reply

Yes, I agree they will probably have them. It will be deemed by those with influence that this would be the best way. He are fast heading in that direction.

Message 19 of 20
Latest reply

@4channel wrote:

Yes, I agree they will probably have them. It will be deemed by those with influence that this would be the best way. He are fast heading in that direction.

rego is getting a bit pricey - pay as you use would give some car owners a break particularly car collectors and the infirm and the my town is my universe people , however touring is my life owners may lament unless there is an option of flat rate or pay as you use

Message 20 of 20
Latest reply