This or that

Okay.

I'm assuming it is okay to post about the different names of everyday things. 

I couldn't remember what the Australians call a valance. It's a pelmet. I just learned that one last year. 

What else? 

Trunk-boot

cilantro-coriander

Pullover sweater- jumper? 

undershirt-vest? 

cookie-bikkie?

Do you call potato chips-crisps? 

We call rubber sandals-thongs in California. lol. Weirdly enough, we  call those string undies, thongs, too. It can get confusing. 

I once told a Scottish friend that she could borrow my thongs, if she wanted to go to the pool. She gave me a look of horror. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
no siggy
Message 1 of 238
Latest reply
237 REPLIES 237

Re: This or that

@serendipityricho wrote:

Hi Am---then there is-------brew and smoko for blokes at work............Richo.

a fella used to say, cookie break

i thought he was a bit... ummm, feminine

Signatures suck.
Message 121 of 238
Latest reply

I'd like to see Perth. We have friends who are visiting there right now. They live in Bournemouth, England. Do you live near the coast, Joz? 

Heaps, isn't a word that is commonly used in the US. We have "a lot" of fun. Or we get a bunch of gifts.  I like the word "Heaps". I also like the use of the word, Brilliant, for fantastic. Maybe that is more commonly used in Britain? Since I'm married to a Scotsman, I know more British slang, than Australian. It is interesting that the Australians have taken on some of the same British slang words, but not all of them. 

You lot have the best slang, imho. Oh, we don't say "you lot" either. 

no siggy
Message 122 of 238
Latest reply

@tcmsecretuseid wrote:

I've never heard of tanti. 

One thing I've noticed (since I started posting here) is that the ozzies shorten many words and add the ie sound to the shortened word. 

It's not only ie Tcm.  It's also the zz for names, as in Barry will be shortened to Bazz and Karen to Kazz. Sharon to Shazz. etc.  It's really quite weird.  Occasionally you add an a on the end at a party.  Bazz becomes Bazza and Kazz becomes Kazza.

Also you have to put in the ga sound at the ends of words. Silent g.  Instead of calling a sandwich a sandwich, you have to call it a sanga.  A condom is called a franga but the same rules don't apply.

Joono
Message 123 of 238
Latest reply

Wow. Joono, this is what the thread is all about! 

What do you call the thing that covers the bed? Doona? Is that short for Duvet? 

We call it a comforter, bedspread, or quilt. Each of those things is different. 

no siggy
Message 124 of 238
Latest reply

Sat'dy arvo = Saturday afternoon

Footy = football. Australian  Rules footbal. AFL

As in : G'day mate. Are youse goin' to the footy Sat'dy arvo?

Message 125 of 238
Latest reply

@tcmsecretuseid wrote:

Wow. Joono, this is what the thread is all about! 

What do you call the thing that covers the bed? Doona? Is that short for Duvet? 

We call it a comforter, bedspread, or quilt. Each of those things is different. 

A comforter here is like a doona but you can't take the insides out and wash the cover.  A comforter is more like a quilt.

A doona is a quilted comforter with an outside cover that you can take off to wash. 

We don't have duvets in this part of the world.

Joono
Message 126 of 238
Latest reply

"Duvet" is such a poncy term. 😉

Message 127 of 238
Latest reply

@iapetus_rocks wrote:

"Duvet" is such a poncy term. 😉

Not so poncy.....just French. 🙂

Message 128 of 238
Latest reply

Just an add-on to am3's Fireworks/Guy Fawkes.

As  I recall, our cracker night was Empire Day in the 1950s (Queen's Birthday Long weekend) 1st weekend in June.

A few weeks of collecting bits and pieces of wood to build a bonfire in the paddock.   My family didn't have a Guy Fawkes or scarecrow.

DEB

Edited:  This was in Sydney outskirts

Message 129 of 238
Latest reply

I read that your previous National Anthem was God save the Queen, replaced by Advance Australia Fair. I don't think I've ever heard it. 

I'm sorry if that is offensive to anyone. I don't know the National Anthems of South American Countries either. 

The US has a patriotic song, My Country 'tis of Thee, that is sung to the melody of God save the Queen. That is really odd, to me. 

no siggy
Message 130 of 238
Latest reply